New To This Game.

Hello, diagnosed 1st August after requesting blood samples due to me quitting caffeine. Seems caffeine was least of my problems, and as I had no symptoms of diabetes this was a shock. Type2. Nearly had to get treated for a broken chin as mine hit the doctors floor.
Metformin,lasted 3 days I'm a roofer so working above folk on ye olde Met wasn't an option. So I am going diet and exercise route. Working so far!
I'm glad this forum exists because me and the wife have been avid readers since my diagnosis mainly because I've kinda felt marooned by the health professionals.
Thank you folks.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Glasgow Stevie .

I used Metformin once I was officially DX.
I know some have found issues but for me the effects have been pretty mild.
Not sure I even suffered any disturbance to my loo regime... But if your at heights.. Maybe not so easy to chance.

Diet and exercise a good pick.. Emphasis on the diet, imho.

Love the support you've had. She sounds a good un.

And the marooned feeling..I got that, hence the forum became a life line in more ways then one.

As you know, forum is packed with advice and those willing to help.

Best of luck on your journey back to better health.

Hi @Glasgow Stevie .

I used Metformin once I was officially DX.
I know some have found issues but for me the effects have been pretty mild.
Not sure I even suffered any disturbance to my loo regime... But if your at heights.. Maybe not so easy to chance.

Diet and exercise a good pick.. Emphasis on the diet, imho.

Love the support you've had. She sounds a good un.

And the marooned feeling..I got that, hence the forum became a life line in more ways then one.

As you know, forum is packed with advice and those willing to help.

Best of luck on your journey back to better health.
Cheers.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, diagnosed 1st August after requesting blood samples due to me quitting caffeine. Seems caffeine was least of my problems, and as I had no symptoms of diabetes this was a shock. Type2. Nearly had to get treated for a broken chin as mine hit the doctors floor.
Metformin,lasted 3 days I'm a roofer so working above folk on ye olde Met wasn't an option. So I am going diet and exercise route. Working so far!
I'm glad this forum exists because me and the wife have been avid readers since my diagnosis mainly because I've kinda felt marooned by the health professionals.
Thank you folks.

Welcome to The Club and good luck with your journey. Not a bad starting point at all.

Reactions: Glasgow Stevie
Welcome to The Club and good luck with your journey. Not a bad starting point at all.
Cheers. I'm still at sixes and sevens truth be told as the weight loss and my occupation are hard to juggle. Low carb and I've went at it like a man possessed but I think I've maybe got to pull it back a wee bit as I've had a rough few days with very low energy.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers. I'm still at sixes and sevens truth be told as the weight loss and my occupation are hard to juggle. Low carb and I've went at it like a man possessed but I think I've maybe got to pull it back a wee bit as I've had a rough few days with very low energy.
Do you eat enough? If you cut down on the carbs, something else has to be upped or you simply won't have enough food to sustain you.

Reactions: jjraak

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Good luck Stevie, you’re in the right place for help and support. 53 isn’t a too bad starting point you should soon make some improvements without having to go too extreme.

Thanks to you both.
I had my second visit to the diabetic nurse on Friday and she was (to me) kinda dismissive of the way I'm handling this. I realise that I'm going to have to up the calories in my diet as at just over 1000 a day I'm struggling workwise.
Being Glaswegian and stubborn are a genetic than sadly.......... I've upped the calories yesterday and today so I'll see how this week pans out.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I realise that I'm going to have to up the calories in my diet as at just over 1000 a day I'm struggling workwise.
Only a 1000 calories while working outside with a physical job? No wonder you haven't been feeling well, you've been basically starving yourself!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can increase your calories with good fats ,cheese ,full fat yoghurt, avocados ,nuts,bacon and eggs ,butter on your veg These are all low carb ,you will probably lose weight by losing the bad carbs like pastry ,bread potatoes, pasta ,rice etc
Carol

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Take it steady and don't try to rush too fast. Make sure that you get enough calories, but avoid the wrong things. Your numbers will soon come down.

You are in the right place for all the help you need here.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome sounds like you’re making some great decisions and already changing your lifestyle. Agree with others though - keep the carbs lower but keep your energy up by eating fats. Don’t worry about calories just count the carbs if you eat enough fat you’ll have plenty of energy. Don’t forget too to take on board enough salt if you reduce carbs and processed food you’ll not be getting as much salt and lack of it can make you feel shattered. Congratulations on dealing with your diagnosis with the way you’re eating and take care up there on those roofs!