1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New To This Game.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Glasgow Stevie, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Glasgow Stevie

Glasgow Stevie · Member

Hello, diagnosed 1st August after requesting blood samples due to me quitting caffeine. Seems caffeine was least of my problems, and as I had no symptoms of diabetes this was a shock. Type2. Nearly had to get treated for a broken chin as mine hit the doctors floor.
    Metformin,lasted 3 days I'm a roofer so working above folk on ye olde Met wasn't an option. So I am going diet and exercise route. Working so far!
    I'm glad this forum exists because me and the wife have been avid readers since my diagnosis mainly because I've kinda felt marooned by the health professionals.
    Thank you folks.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Glasgow Stevie .

I used Metformin once I was officially DX.
    I know some have found issues but for me the effects have been pretty mild.
    Not sure I even suffered any disturbance to my loo regime... But if your at heights.. Maybe not so easy to chance.

Diet and exercise a good pick.. Emphasis on the diet, imho.

Love the support you've had. She sounds a good un.

And the marooned feeling..I got that, hence the forum became a life line in more ways then one.

As you know, forum is packed with advice and those willing to help.

Best of luck on your journey back to better health.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Glasgow Stevie

Glasgow Stevie · Member

Cheers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Glasgow Stevie

Glasgow Stevie · Member

Sorry, my hba1c was 53.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Club and good luck with your journey. Not a bad starting point at all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Glasgow Stevie

Glasgow Stevie · Member

Cheers. I'm still at sixes and sevens truth be told as the weight loss and my occupation are hard to juggle. Low carb and I've went at it like a man possessed but I think I've maybe got to pull it back a wee bit as I've had a rough few days with very low energy.

• Hug Hug x 3
  7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you eat enough? If you cut down on the carbs, something else has to be upped or you simply won't have enough food to sustain you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Concordjan

Concordjan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck Stevie, you’re in the right place for help and support. 53 isn’t a too bad starting point you should soon make some improvements without having to go too extreme.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Glasgow Stevie

Glasgow Stevie · Member

Thanks to you both.
    I had my second visit to the diabetic nurse on Friday and she was (to me) kinda dismissive of the way I'm handling this. I realise that I'm going to have to up the calories in my diet as at just over 1000 a day I'm struggling workwise.
    Being Glaswegian and stubborn are a genetic than sadly.......... I've upped the calories yesterday and today so I'll see how this week pans out.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Only a 1000 calories while working outside with a physical job? No wonder you haven't been feeling well, you've been basically starving yourself!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can increase your calories with good fats ,cheese ,full fat yoghurt, avocados ,nuts,bacon and eggs ,butter on your veg These are all low carb ,you will probably lose weight by losing the bad carbs like pastry ,bread potatoes, pasta ,rice etc
    Carol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Take it steady and don't try to rush too fast. Make sure that you get enough calories, but avoid the wrong things. Your numbers will soon come down.

You are in the right place for all the help you need here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome sounds like you’re making some great decisions and already changing your lifestyle. Agree with others though - keep the carbs lower but keep your energy up by eating fats. Don’t worry about calories just count the carbs if you eat enough fat you’ll have plenty of energy. Don’t forget too to take on board enough salt if you reduce carbs and processed food you’ll not be getting as much salt and lack of it can make you feel shattered. Congratulations on dealing with your diagnosis with the way you’re eating and take care up there on those roofs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook