How to make a good near zero carb coffee?

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I think you'll find you can tolerate drip coffee without the sweetener, which i'm not a fan off tbh. Drip coffee tends to be less bitter anyway. Good luck with it all!
Thanks. I will add stevia extract anyway.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here in the UK, the nutrition for coffeemate is listed as 57g carbs per 100g of product
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258120071
which they say works out at 3.8g per serving.

Of course you would need to check that the coffeemate sold in your country is of a similar carb content.

The brother of my father has recently suffered from a heart attack from years of poor blood glucose control. He has just been discharged from hospital and his wife told me he has to have his coffee everyday. He is likely to be still taking maybe around 150g carbs a day as his doctors did not specify anything to watch his carb intake.

SarahEN

The brother of my father has recently suffered from a heart attack from years of poor blood glucose control. He has just been discharged from hospital and his wife told me he has to have his coffee everyday. He is likely to be still taking maybe around 150g carbs a day as his doctors did not specify anything to watch his carb intake.
This is common - alot of doctors don't explain that Carbs turn to sugar as they metabolise. They tell us we just need to avoid sugar.

So, if you cut out sugar, but don't keep an eye on carb intake then you can end up with poor blood glucose control anyway.

The amount of carbs a T2 diabetic can tolerate differs greatly. Its trial & error. So far I've determined I can't eat bread at all but I can eat a small amount of potato occassionally. Testing bg levels helps you figure out what & how much you can consume.

One note re sweeteners: there is some evidence that your body thinks you have had sugar when you consume sweeteners, & tries to produce insulin to combat it. This can cause more stress on your pancreas & can increase insulin resistance. So whilst you may prefer coffee with a sweet taste, it might help to limit your sweetener intake.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am very sorry to hear about your uncle's heart attack.
I hope he will recover well.

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lowest 3 in 1 coffee product I can find in my country still has 5.1g carb per packet serving. Is there any other product that can beat this or any way to make a lower carb one that taste good?

What seems to work for me, is decaff Percol instant coffee with Oat milk, best that does not curdle in coffee being Oatly Barista. Loverly creamy taste, I am allergic to dairy.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What seems to work for me, is decaff Percol instant coffee with Oat milk, best that does not curdle in coffee being Oatly Barista. Loverly creamy taste, I am allergic to dairy.

Oat milk contains significant carb?

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lowest 3 in 1 coffee product I can find in my country still has 5.1g carb per packet serving. Is there any other product that can beat this or any way to make a lower carb one that taste good?

Many black coffees taste sharp because they, and barristas proudly proclaim, are 100% arabica!!!
However some espresso blends combine ground robusta and arabica beans. These coffees are less sharp and more rounded. A good one is Lavazza Rosso.
Maybe its worth trying a pack.

Boil a kettle.
Add a mug of boiling to a small sauce pan, bring water to boil.
Take off heat.
Add 1 tablespoon Lavazza Rosso.
Wait 1 min.
Stir
Put back on heat and watch it until it starts to rise up the saucepan. When near the top, pour into your mug.
Now you have a lovely cup of intense but not bitter coffee.
Mmmm

Makes fruit like banas, pineapples, nectarines seem more intense.

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oat milk contains significant carb?
Not too bad for me, Carbohydrate 6.5 g of which sugars 4.0 g*per 100ml, & I use hot water with splash of oat milk. I have been a lot better on blood sugar readings since switching from soya to oak milk, not the only change but also better stomach.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is common - alot of doctors don't explain that Carbs turn to sugar as they metabolise. They tell us we just need to avoid sugar.

So, if you cut out sugar, but don't keep an eye on carb intake then you can end up with poor blood glucose control anyway.

The amount of carbs a T2 diabetic can tolerate differs greatly. Its trial & error. So far I've determined I can't eat bread at all but I can eat a small amount of potato occassionally. Testing bg levels helps you figure out what & how much you can consume.

One note re sweeteners: there is some evidence that your body thinks you have had sugar when you consume sweeteners, & tries to produce insulin to combat it. This can cause more stress on your pancreas & can increase insulin resistance. So whilst you may prefer coffee with a sweet taste, it might help to limit your sweetener intake.

It's really frustrating when people, especially doctors, fail to equate sugar and carbs as if they aren't equally bad for your blood sugars.

Great post.

Good point about the diet soda and sweeteners. When you trick your body into thinking it's just ingested something sweet, and it releases insulin, not only does that increase insulin resistance, but insulin is a hunger hormone so you'll eventually binge eat on carbs and snacks. Same reason you feel hungry an hour after you eat chinese food: insulin spike then sugar dips after that then rollercoaster to eat again because the hunger hormone. Solution is to just get off the rollercoaster (avoid sweet tasting things as much as possible, with real sugar or not!)

Reactions: SarahEN

SarahEN

I lived with the son of a Monsanto employee at Uni & was privy to some info on Aspartamine which made me vow never to touch sweeteners in any form.
It's really frustrating when people, especially doctors, fail to equate sugar and carbs as if they aren't equally bad for your blood sugars.

Great post.

Good point about the diet soda and sweeteners. When you trick your body into thinking it's just ingested something sweet, and it releases insulin, not only does that increase insulin resistance, but insulin is a hunger hormone so you'll eventually binge eat on carbs and snacks. Same reason you feel hungry an hour after you eat chinese food: insulin spike then sugar dips after that then rollercoaster to eat again because the hunger hormone. Solution is to just get off the rollercoaster (avoid sweet tasting things as much as possible, with real sugar or not!)

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not too bad for me, Carbohydrate 6.5 g of which sugars 4.0 g*per 100ml, & I use hot water with splash of oat milk. I have been a lot better on blood sugar readings since switching from soya to oak milk, not the only change but also better stomach.

What kind of soya milk did u use that perform worse than oat milk on blood sugar?

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Many black coffees taste sharp because they, and barristas proudly proclaim, are 100% arabica!!!
However some espresso blends combine ground robusta and arabica beans. These coffees are less sharp and more rounded. A good one is Lavazza Rosso.
Maybe its worth trying a pack.

Boil a kettle.
Add a mug of boiling to a small sauce pan, bring water to boil.
Take off heat.
Add 1 tablespoon Lavazza Rosso.
Wait 1 min.
Stir
Put back on heat and watch it until it starts to rise up the saucepan. When near the top, pour into your mug.
Now you have a lovely cup of intense but not bitter coffee.
Mmmm

Makes fruit like banas, pineapples, nectarines seem more intense.

U just provided some info I needed. No wonder the expensive instant coffee I tested make a coffee with a sharp taste.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me it's place green disk in tassimo machine. put coffee granules in cup place on tassimo machine press button wait till coffee done remove green disk replace with creamer pod press button wait till creamer cycle finished drink coffee with sweetener of choice or no sweetener about 1.5 to 1.8 grams of carbohydrate enjoy.

Or I use my stove top espresso maker and have a nice double shot espresso black with or without sweetener.