At last no more novarapid for this Type2.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun

Brilliant work, great results, so pleased for you..:happy:

Not sure how useful for you.
BUT..i read that resistance training is best for muscles to help use up post meal glucose.
while not able at moment to go gym/running
could you use a resistance band ?

took my wife's on hols (i've been doing gym and weights at home)
just so i was doing 'something' after eating to get the glucose used up.

seemed to have the right effect as bg's stayed decent for the whole 3 weeks, only rising slightly when we came home.
took one to work, so after food i can be seen stretching it like a loon across my chest for a while after..LoL
(Don't care, the odd looks hurt less then the complications would, i'll bet)
https://www.self.com/gallery/resistance-band-exercises

fantastic stuff from you, long may it continue.:)
Thanks @jjraak. I will buy one but shopping for an alternative method at mo but so far too expensive for us. Even in Sunderland.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @jjraak. I will buy one but shopping for an alternative method at mo but so far too expensive for us. Even in Sunderland.

hahaha..sorry @ickihun
didn't even look at price of it, twas meant just as a guide really...my bad

(got the wifes set in Lidl i think..about a fiver)
bound to be similar on ebay..it's just a big set of elastic bands really, anyway.:D

Reactions: ickihun

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After a run in with an idiot in a car a few years ago I used walking poles for some time rather than struggle to walk unaided - they give such a lot of confidence - the pavements around here are so uneven even when there are no potholes. The security was the main thing, I was confident enough to stride along rather than tottering like a little old lady, even though I stumbled from time to time.

Reactions: ringi and zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My alternative was a chiropractors fees. Will hv to give up a hobbie to pay towards costs. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wow your 4st weight loss is incredible, how are your bg levels now ?
5 and 6s fbgs and odd 13 or 8-9 2hrs after fruit or food just after IBS medication. Only monitoring fbgs and after meals or if not feeling right.
I've seen evidence of RH but protein only meal later settles it very quickly.
With no bolus hypos from too much insulin is less ikely but still monitoring, as advised. Old consultant made it very clear I'm still producing my own insulin. Even now. So reducing insulin is the prime objective. No matter how long it takes. My PCOS responses greatly on metformin so I'm in no hurry to get side affects or stop it again. No spots now or crying over nothing. Was checked months ago for menopause and only showed high prolactin. I will ask if gone in 5mths time and if thyroid is OK. No med change for hypothyroidism which I'm surprised but absorbsion has changed so meds may not be as effective due to that rather than excessive weight but even IVF ideal weight I still needed levothyroxine.
I had a case of bell's palsy which I was given a course of steroids to take. I became strong as an ox. It improved but when tired I still hv a weakness.
So i hv an attack of immune problems about once a decade and gain a medical condition and sometimes meds to help.
In my 20s bell's palsy then hypothyroidism. In 30s diagnosed with type2. In 40s hv back and neck problem after a burn out on diabetic meds so needed insulin.
Not saying nipped nerves are diabetic related though.
How are you @Juicyj?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done on your great progress

Can you use a swimming pool, maybe just to move about in at first before trying to swim?

If you can find a personal trainer you get on well with, you may be able to use resistance training machines at the gym. In some areas GPs can do a gym prescription that gives "free" access to the gym and a carefully chosen personal trainer. Using heaver weights (machine set so you only have the energy to use it for 2 minutes) for a short time can give us much better then lighter weights for a longer time.

Clearly first check how long you need to wait until after your operation.

As to Metformin, if it was me I would remian on the low dose for a long time before risking increasing the dose as you have had so many issues with Metformin in the past. Your PCOS is likely to improve due to reduced inslin resistance from your fat loss, if you can increase muscle mass even a little, that will also reduce inslin resistance.
Still struggling to walk so off for an x-ray on my painful back on Monday. I'm very very mentally ready for a gym again. I've been lucky to hv been previously trained or coached alongside my footballing ex-hubby for a few decades so I do need a refresher on any new equipment but cardio and resistance was once just part of my daily living.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm sad to say I had to return on Novarapid after creeping bgs after low carb small meals, too. I'm only taking 5 to 10 units but hv been encouraged to keep retrying from my ex-Endo.
However today my GP told me I'm type1 and type2. I've been on insulin for over a decade with no success on all other meds independently.

I will still push to reduce more of my current insulin units; 29 triple basal units and max. 20units of Novarapid. Now with 3x 500mg of Metformin. (Was 122 triple units and max 90 Novarapid).

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sad to say I had to return on Novarapid after creeping bgs after low carb small meals, too. I'm only taking 5 to 10 units but hv been encouraged to keep retrying from my ex-Endo.
However today my GP told me I'm type1 and type2. I've been on insulin for over a decade with no success on all other meds independently.

I will still push to reduce more of my current insulin units; 29 triple basal units and max. 20units of Novarapid. Now with 3x 500mg of Metformin. (Was 122 triple units and max 90 Novarapid).
@ickihun sorry to read that you’re back on Novarapid but hopefully you’ll get there. I came off my BP pills 5 months ago after being on them for approx 40 years and my BP remained fairly stable until about 3 weeks ago when it started to rise again so I made the decision on Friday to start taking them again.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun sorry to read that you’re back on Novarapid but hopefully you’ll get there. I came off my BP pills 5 months ago after being on them for approx 40 years and my BP remained fairly stable until about 3 weeks ago when it started to rise again so I made the decision on Friday to start taking them again.
@Daphne917 I like you... know; we are at risk of stroke or/and heart disease. I hv mild HD so I'm not risking my health for an invisible gold star.
I know you feel the same way.
My GP is going to help me reduce some of my meds. Hospital want them reduced, as I, but not if I hv a stroke.
I must put my foot down in places. I'm not risking all I've done to date, to then end up dependant on SServices.
I hv a plan which if I can pass 3 stages I will go against all that deems me worthless or retreating into disability stopping me. I'm don't just lie down, never have.
Even if I have type1 in the longest honeymoon period ever noted and type2 extremely reduced I'm not dead yet.
I hv so much more living to do.
Reducing my stroke prevention and blood pressure tablets won't be done neglectful. I'll insist on it. I've seen it go wrong. Spectacularly!

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, and well done! I paid to go and see our excellent physio /osteopath clinic with very dodgy knees and they gave me a full set of resistance bands and exercises. Later found out that my gp could have sent me there. If gp could apply for this for you would this help to get you more mobile? The lidl resistance bands are pretty good too.

Reactions: ringi

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, and well done! I paid to go and see our excellent physio /osteopath clinic with very dodgy knees and they gave me a full set of resistance bands and exercises. Later found out that my gp could have sent me there. If gp could apply for this for you would this help to get you more mobile? The lidl resistance bands are pretty good too.
Thanks @Fruitella. Having x-ray in the morning. Physio just talked about pain receptors in brain. Useless waste of his BA, in my opinion.