What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greeted by 6.7 and what seems to be the beginnings of a chest infection. Yesterdays walk was terminated at the park when I realised there was no way I'd make it back. Luckily a neighbour was there walking his dog and gave me a lift back. Of my two conditions, being T2 is easier to manage, COPD is plain nasty.

Enough of the doom and gloom, it's the weekend and I shall stay in and enjoy a drop of Talisker (to kill the germs, obviously) :)

Staying in sounds like a good idea. I am doing the same today. I hope the Talisker does its job and that any incipient infection will admit defeat and retreat, leaving you in healthy peace.

Off now to Google and learn what Talisker is (although I think I know; I read a novel once that had a terrier called Talisker, but that was in the pre-Internet era).

Take good care of yourself. :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning...up super early at 04:45 but feel as if I slept well...time will tell...oddly enjoying putting the house back to rights & getting things up to scratch makes me feel a little more secure when there is less disarray...coffee & breakfast done so no excuse for lingering here... @dogslife I was never in a position where I had to make the same impossible decisions you have had to face recently...I am not sure how I would have got through it...but you have your determination & compassion in caring for your mother & aunt is touching.
Thanks Bubbsie. Sounds like you are doing a good job sorting out your house. Hard work but worth it in the end. My house looks like a collection centre for jumble sales atm as we have boxes of stuff from mum's house waiting to be dealt with. Most has been donated to our local hospice but there is still peronal stuff that I'm not yet ready to part with but have no space for. Don't work too hard. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A surprising 5.0 this morning. Blood sugars are going through a spell of running in the low 4s during the day which does make me feel a bit tired.

We have finally got the sat nav working and it only took two days to figure it out. I have never had a sat nav in any of my cars and it will be really useful next time I am diverted off the A47 because of an accident. It will be great not to get lost.

I have on these occasions resorted to following someone who looks as though they know where they are going. This often doesn't turn out well. A friend of mine did that in the fog and ended up following a car into its driveway.

LOL -- when I lived in Birmingham (AL) and occasionally got lost among the numbered streets downtown, I would just find a Volvo or a BMW or some other car that obviously did not live in the area and follow it up over the mountain back to civilization. I'm glad you got the GPS working! :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Bubbsie. Sounds like you are doing a good job sorting out your house. Hard work but worth it in the end. My house looks like a collection centre for jumble sales atm as we have boxes of stuff from mum's house waiting to be dealt with. Most has been donated to our local hospice but there is still peronal stuff that I'm not yet ready to part with but have no space for. Don't work too hard. :)

It took me 7 years to clear out some family memorabilia, and I'm still hanging on to a few things I need to get rid of but just can't.

Be easy on yourself.
t4615.gif

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The hardest thing for me was not being able to tell mum about her sister who she loves dearly.
So sorry you are going through this. It is so difficult when our loved ones have altzheimers. You are doing brilliantly.

My big regret - looking back at the time we looked after my father in law - was that I felt I must tell him if I did certain things before I did them. So I would ask him if I could wash his clothes - he would say no and say they didn't washing. He would then get upset. Why oh why didn't I just go in his room.and take the clothes - he would never have known as his dementia was quite advanced then.

He was quite feisty and I can be a bit bossy. This led to one memory that always makes me smile. Before his dementia got too bad we arranged for him to visit my brother in law in Canada.

He wanted to wear his ancient gardening jumper which was full of holes and filthy because he wouldn't let me wash it. I bought him some new M&S jumpers that I insisted he wore on his trip.

So the morning of his flight from Norwich he came down for breakfast in a new jumper. He went upstairs to get his coat and it didn't occur to me that he would change into the old jumper and button up his coat so I wouldn't see the swap.

The first I knew about it was a furious call from my BIL - how could I have sent him like that! I love it that my father in law got great enjoyment from outwitting me.

I had arranged that KLM would look after him and they were brilliant. Before the flight I coached him over and over again on what he had to do - which was stay on the plane at Schipol as someone was going to take until onto the next plane to Toronto.

On the morning of the flight he thought he would have a bit more fun.. So when I asked him what he would do when he got to Schipol he said he was going to get off the plane and look for a KLM plane. He probably laughed all the way to Canada at the look of horror on my face.

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
peronal stuff that I'm not yet ready to part with but have no space for. Don't work too hard. :)
Don't rush dogslife with personal items you need to take your time...I'd suggest put them into a large packing box & deal with them bit by bit when you're ready.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.5 this morning

We're just back in the house after a day out with mum and a cousin of ours who was in the area with a walking group and wanted to go over and visit mum.

Pretty windy and chilly here but at least the rain mainly stayed away ;)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pleased to report a nice low 5.6 as my second "FBG" of the day. The planned housework hasn't been done; after breakfast the KittenCat and I went back to bed and woke up 4 hours later. I may do some housework after lunch.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a day, long, energetic, three granddaughters for sleep over, my ears have been assulted, wonderfully exhausting. Too much ice cream, birthday cake, red wine and cheese, my fasting results tomorrow could be a tad interesting

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All. No idea what my BG is but am finally in my temporary home in Estepona and able to relax. There have been biblical floods and storms across rhe bottom half of Spain in the last 24 hours. When we went to get our hire car from the ground floor at Malaga Airport earlier we had to to almost wade through inches of water. I can only hope for the local residents it wasnt too awful. Got to our house, weather not as warm as hoped but may get better. Anyway rest of family joining us tomo so the sun will shine :)
Will try and catch up with the thread properly tomo. Meanwhile love and hugs to all who need it. Stay well, stay safe.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the @PenguinMum has Landed..:D

won't matter the weather when all the family arrives., right.:)

(But sunshine would be nice..;) )

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All. No idea what my BG is but am finally in my temporary home in Estepona and able to relax. There have been biblical floods and storms across rhe bottom half of Spain in the last 24 hours. When we went to get our hire car from the ground floor at Malaga Airport earlier we had to to almost wade through inches of water. I can only hope for the local residents it wasnt too awful. Got to our house, weather not as warm as hoped but may get better. Anyway rest of family joining us tomo so the sun will shine :)
Will try and catch up with the thread properly tomo. Meanwhile love and hugs to all who need it. Stay well, stay safe.

I'm glad you arrived safely and were able to get through to your house. Hopefully the flood waters will have gone down by morning; either way, I know you will have a wonderful time with your family. Enjoy!

@jjraak Roger that. :D

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny for the anecdote not the wonderful fbg. The A47 in this part of the world does take one to places resembling the Wild, Wild, West. Basically law and order have little writ in that part of the county. Hopefully, your part of the world is tamer.
Actually it probably isn't tamer. It is quite wild here in the East. I don't leave the house without a bodyguard.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Staying in sounds like a good idea. I am doing the same today. I hope the Talisker does its job and that any incipient infection will admit defeat and retreat, leaving you in healthy peace.

Off now to Google and learn what Talisker is (although I think I know; I read a novel once that had a terrier called Talisker, but that was in the pre-Internet era).

Take good care of yourself. :)

Bless you :)

Talisker is my favourite drop of whisky, always seems to help ;)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning with a 5.0 after yesterday's food intake of wine, ice cream and birthday cake, must have been a result of the red wine.

Another busy day, grandaughters not yet awake but soon will be as we are off to a horse show with their ponies, at least their mom and dad are doing the horse grooming, I think grooming the girls is much easier.:)

Until then I am enjoying the peace and quiet of this lovely Sunday morning whilst I can.

Soon the mayhem starts!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 8.5

Up a couple of points from yesterday.

Why?

I might have the reason. Daughter from Oz has now left. But she also left her food. I should have told her to bin it.

Now I did bin the bread, and I did bin her cereal, and her noodles.

There was some low fat yoghurt in the fridge. I never eat yoghurt, but I tried it. It was nice, but tasted dry (because the fat had been taken out?) so I had to put a bit of double cream on the top.

But she had a basket of fruit - apples, tomatoes, and grapes. And I thought a little of them might be okay. But without realising, I picked a tomato or two each time I passed the fruit basket (it was nice and refreshing), and a few grapes, and then I ate an apple....

Yoghurt is now in bin, Apples have been fed to the worms in my wormery.

Grapes and tomatoes are still here, but they are in fridge now. I can’t eat cold tomatoes straight from the fridge so an odd one will be used in cooking. And the grapes are too cold for me to eat straight from fridge as well, so it means I will think when I take two or three out for a mid morning snack.

Hopefully tomorrow’ fbg will be lower.

Murky grey outside. I forgot to put my sun parasols down last night, so they look a bit in incongruous out there in the grey half light.

Have a good day!