I feel i'm going to die

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
My vision is changing a lot, I see floaters and can't see in dim light. I went to the eye doctor and they said no swelling, just a small corneal scar. My sugars went down to 24 yesterday and I had a panic attack at walmart yesterday and brought my sugars up to 177. I have burning and stinging all over my body and feel my legs on fire everyday, all day long--dr gave me 100mg gabapentin yesterday twice a day but i still feel it. i can't workout cause the pain and i dont eat enough i guess and stopped taking metformin cause i feel im getting worse with it, it lowers it all the way down. i felt so tired yesterday. i can't see far away, only about 15 inches from my face. the floaters seem to get worse. i had a nose bleed. pleae help me. im so scared. my mom is sick in the hospital and everyone at my house is fine and doesn't understand what im going through. my sugar was 130 when i woke up and 175 when i ate something. it went down to 130 and is staying there.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What are you expecting? Getting the feeling there's more going on that we're not aware of.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Stress will cause sugars to go up. But high sugars will cause everything to be worse, vision issues, depression etc. Not everyone can take metformin but you also need to control your sugars and might need something to help that. Maybe a change in your diet too. But while your numbers aren't perfect, they are not horrible. The good news is your level went back down to a more manageable number. Some people are more sensitive to changes in their blood sugars. Some people never feel lows and some never feel bad if it's in the 300 range.

Everything is stressful right now with your mom in the hospital, I think you might need another doctors appointment to discuss your anxiety at the moment and to see if there is something else you need done test wise? Maybe they can figure out more what is going on with your symptoms? But take control of what you can right now, which is what you eat.

Reactions: worriedwart

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
What are you expecting? Getting the feeling there's more going on that we're not aware of.
im not good at dealing with stress, i have a general anxiety disorder. i just came here for support because i don't really have anyone who understands what im going through and am scared.

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Stress will cause sugars to go up. But high sugars will cause everything to be worse, vision issues, depression etc. Not everyone can take metformin but you also need to control your sugars and might need something to help that. Maybe a change in your diet too. But while your numbers aren't perfect, they are not horrible. The good news is your level went back down to a more manageable number. Some people are more sensitive to changes in their blood sugars. Some people never feel lows and some never feel bad if it's in the 300 range.

Everything is stressful right now with your mom in the hospital, I think you might need another doctors appointment to discuss your anxiety at the moment and to see if there is something else you need done test wise? Maybe they can figure out more what is going on with your symptoms? But take control of what you can right now, which is what you eat.

Yes, I have a anxiety disorder and these stabbing pains all over and burning legs drive me crazy all day long. I'm terrified of losing my eyesight. I'm overweight, can't seem to lower blood pressure(146/99) know i have high cholesterol, type 2 and when i don't eat too much, the sugars drop so low but when i eat, it goes up to 175. I don't know if I should stay on 500mg once aday of metformin or ditch it. :( Thanks so much for your reply, btw.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
im not good at dealing with stress, i have a general anxiety disorder. i just came here for support because i don't really have anyone who understands what im going through and am scared.

You'll get your moral support, of that I'm certain. But who's diagnosed that disorder? You're "trapped" and that much is obvious. Difficulty is we can't pinpoint the cause and neither should we attempt to. But we're here :)

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any other diabetes medications? You mention only Metformin, which should not cause a low. Not saying it’s impossible, but that’s just not the way it works. At 500mg, which is a very low does, it is highly unlikely so maybe something else is going on?

What did the doctor prescribe for blood pressure? Both ACE and ARBs are tolerated by most people very well, no real reason not to be on it that I know of.

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Are you on any other diabetes medications? You mention only Metformin, which should not cause a low. Not saying it’s impossible, but that’s just not the way it works. At 500mg, which is a very low does, it is highly unlikely so maybe something else is going on?

What did the doctor prescribe for blood pressure? Both ACE and ARBs are tolerated by most people very well, no real reason not to be on it that I know of.

I wasn't prescribed anything for blood pressure. Could my sugars go low from not eating? or only eating very little calories a day? I just don't know how many sugars/carbs to have in a day to get my sugars under control when I don't take the metformin.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't prescribed anything for blood pressure. Could my sugars go low from not eating? or only eating very little calories a day? I just don't know how many sugars/carbs to have in a day to get my sugars under control when I don't take the metformin.

Well, as always, not a doctor, but no. Not eating should not cause low blood sugar - at least not low enough to cause real problems. At most, tired, sluggish, etc. I’ve done 5-day water only fasts (not recommended it; it’s been done strictly under doctor supervision), and my BG stayed low, but normal. If not eating, without any meds to confuse the issue, caused severe lows then people not eating 8-15 hours overnight would be a problem. But it’s clearly not.

Only testing with your blood glucose meter will tell you how to eat to get your BG under control. Most people on this site seem to go low carb high fat (LCHF), which generally means 50g of carbs per day or less.

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
wow, if i dont eat, my sugars go down really low, 24 yesterday. im so confused then if it isn't from not eating. i think im eating over 100 carbs.

worriedwart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
This is very, very low. Did you test again to confim the reading? I'd expect it to be a rogue test strip or such.
i didn't test again. i had eaten two bananas and orange juice and it went up to 177.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i didn't test again. i had eaten two bananas and orange juice and it went up to 177.
So if you only tested this low once, I'd say it was a faulty reading.
Have you recorded bg's this low ever before? How did you feel?

D

Deleted member 308541

i had eaten two bananas and orange juice and it went up to 177.
Bananas were my undoing as they do not agree with me and push my bgl sky high, I was on Metformin after that for a couple years. They are off my eating list, I cannot comment on the orange juice as I do not drink it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The reason you went so high would be 2 bananas and OJ, each banana is about 25 carbs and 8 oz of OJ is about 25 carbs. That would be consuming 75 carbs of almost pure sugar. That would be why your BG level went up to 177 when you have a sugar issue. That is a lot of carbs to correct a low. Earlier on I corrected my lows with 15 carbs and was told to repeat that if needed.
Ask your doctor what they recommend for you.

Retest next time to confirm the reading, but if it happens where you are dropping that much you might start reading about Reactive Hypoglycemia. People drop after a certain amount of time after they eat. You also need to make sure your doctor knows right away if you are actually dropping to those levels.

Reactions: angustia

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My vision is changing a lot, I see floaters and can't see in dim light. I went to the eye doctor and they said no swelling, just a small corneal scar. My sugars went down to 24 yesterday and I had a panic attack at walmart yesterday and brought my sugars up to 177. I have burning and stinging all over my body and feel my legs on fire everyday, all day long--dr gave me 100mg gabapentin yesterday twice a day but i still feel it. i can't workout cause the pain and i dont eat enough i guess and stopped taking metformin cause i feel im getting worse with it, it lowers it all the way down. i felt so tired yesterday. i can't see far away, only about 15 inches from my face. the floaters seem to get worse. i had a nose bleed. pleae help me. im so scared. my mom is sick in the hospital and everyone at my house is fine and doesn't understand what im going through. my sugar was 130 when i woke up and 175 when i ate something. it went down to 130 and is staying there.

Have you gone back to consult with your doctor about this?
Maybe you need a change of medication, or something else to help you.

M

Member496333

When my diabetes was getting much better, but my neuropathy pain was getting much worse as the feeling returned, I had the ‘benefit’ of being super sensitive to the effects of my food choices. Burning in my lower legs and feet was always indicative of higher insulin concentrations in my bloodstream, rather than glucose per se. That is to say that if I ate moderate carbohydrate, my blood glucose concentration wouldn’t necessarily spike, but the burning sensation in my feet was intense and almost immediate. I could tell when I had lots of insulin coursing through my veins.

That’s just my own personal experience, but logically it makes sense, since hyperinsulinemia is the warning shot across the bow of HMS Diabetes. I consider that I was in a unique position to actually feel the hyperinsulinemia in my legs and feet. Take from that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

This is for you!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
So sorry worriedwart; I understand that calibrating blood sugars is very delicate and unpredictable; it seems that only when the symptoms arrive you know that diet, stress, and timing have had something to do as well as meds, meter counting, etc. Personally I would be so happy if we had Diebetes hospitals or Clinics. I often get rather tired of reading books, relying on the net, and experimenting on a day to day basis. Courage!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi worriedwart,
I too have quite bad floaters in my eyes - I had to give up Skiing because of them. They looked like rocks to me against the white background. I also have to use quite a large font on my PC.
But they don't appear to have any connection to diabetes - I have recently had my annual Diabetic Retinopathy test (for diabetes damage to my yes) and have been told there is none at all!

You don't really give enough information about what you normally eat, how much of it you eat and when you eat it for us to get much on an insight into your overall 'Way Of eating', however it is well known that many Type 2 Diabetics suffer from 'Yoyo Blood Sugars'.

This sequence starts with them eating something high in Sugars or Carbohydrates (starches found in Grains, Potatoes or Root vegetables. All of these convert to sugar (Glucose) in your blood very quickly.
Then the High Blood Glucose (which may make you feel ill and brain foggy ) triggers a huge amount of Insulin to be made by their Pancreas to reduce the Blood Glucose.
The Insulin does its work (which as a side effect makes them gain more body fat which in turn make your diabetes worse). But the sudden large drop in Blood Glucose overshoots the good levels and they go to having Blood Glucose too low.
This causes fainting and more Brain fog etc. It also causes the release of stress Hormones such as Cortisol (not good for their anxiety or blood pressure).

Of course they must then eat some Carbs to rectify the low Blood Glucose.
Which seems to be what you did with the 2 Bananas and the Orange Juice. But you overdid it! That is a huge amount of fast acting Carbohydrates to take at once, so it drives your Blood Glucose sky high again and around we go for another ride on the Blood Glucose Roller Coaster!

In future, you need to try and eat smaller amounts of carbs at a time, both for normal meals and also in emergency Low Blood Glucose situations.
This will both lower the Blood Glucose high 'Mountain' spikes, and also raise the valleys so they don't go 'below sea level'.
You have a Blood Glucose Meter, so use it. Measure before each meal and then 2hrs after first bite of that meal.
Aim to eat so that your Blood Glucose doesn't (often) spike more than 36 from the 'before meal' reading; or spike above 144 total, though this may take some time to achieve.