Quinoa and Chia Bread

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After trying fibre flour (Very expensive) to make bread and not liking the taste I have found a Quinoa and chia bread which I really like. :- << MAKES 1 LOAF INGREDIENTS:

2 cups quinoa (1 x 300g packet from Aldi) 3/4 cup chia seeds 1/2 cup mixed pumpkin, sunflower & linseeds 3 tbsp lemon Juice 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp agave syrup 60 ml ( I leave this out!!) extra virgin olive oil. I add salt as well

METHOD:

Step 1: The night before you plan on baking the bread you need to soak the quinoa & chia seeds. Measure out the quinoa and chia seeds and place in two separate bowls. Soak the chia seeds and quinoa in one cup of water each and place both in the fridge overnight.

Step 2: Preheat the oven to 160°C. In a blender, add all ingredients other than the mixed seeds. Blend until the mixture is smooth, but you can still see lots of whole quinoa. (It is very important not to over blend as you will get a very sticky bread!). Then add the mixed seeds. Pour the mixture into a bread tin lined with parchment paper .(I used silicon loaf tin) Bake for 70 minutes (I did 90mins and it was not sticky)

This bread is best either toasted, or sliced and baked in the oven.>>

This makes me 20 small slices of which I have 2 for my lunch. I have no idea how many carbs this is which bothers me a bit because Quinoa seems to have lots of carbs per 100g but is meant to be low GI .

Do you reckon this is low carb enough . No I haven't measured my bs after because a) I never remember b) what about the rest of my lunch which is usually Lidl pickled herring in yogurt sauce (without the sauce) on the bread or maybe other fish or cheese with a bowl of salad containing 1 small avocado, leaves, shredded raw beetroot, raw carrot, celery , tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, spring onion with balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.

Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you reckon this is low carb enough . No I haven't measured my bs after because.....

You will never know until you test yourself to see how it affects you! You might want to be cautious with the root veg too.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your bread is about 10gm per slice.
Thanks- that's what I reckoned but it is very heavy and low GI . I suppose 20gms isn't too bad for a meal. It fills me up.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will never know until you test yourself to see how it affects you! You might want to be cautious with the root veg too.
Very true . Maybe I should put a timer on to check!! I only eat a little root veg and only raw!!

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can get hold of gluten and add that into your bread, plus psyllium husk flour - I add rye bread flour as that disguises the purple colour of the cooked psyllium, I think you will be able to use yeast to leaven the bread, though I do knead in some baking powder, strewing it on the board in several lots to ensure it is incorporated evenly. The loaf should then be much larger, or you might make a loaf and some rolls, plus it will be lighter - don't forget to add some olive oil or lard to the mix, and grease the loaf tin well.