JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder if the word "copped" as in caught, especially by coppers, has anything to do with being caught in a coppe web?
It would seem the term copper was the original, unshortened word, originally used in Britain to mean "someone who captures".

Derived from the Latin capere via the Old French caper.

So I suppose as a spider's web is used to capture or seize it's prey there could be a definite connection there.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So ...
Out on a caper,
captured by a copper,
cast into a cavern
where the creepy coppes crawl ...
copped criminal copies
in creditable copperplate
what we hope was copyrighted
by the composer thereof:

O what a tangled web we weave
when first we practice to deceive!

The above is not just a load of cobblers ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I add another way of using the word cop? To cop off - to "capture a boy/girl friend". My grandma (born 1880) always said have you copped off? In fact, one day (she lived with us then) when she was 90 and as fit as a fiddle, she was setting off to walk to the library wearing her beautiful powder blue coat, announcing that she might cop off. I can still see her at the front door when she said that.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Can I add another way of using the word cop? To cop off - to "capture a boy/girl friend". My grandma (born 1880) always said have you copped off? In fact, one day (she lived with us then) when she was 90 and as fit as a fiddle, she was setting off to walk to the library wearing her beautiful powder blue coat, announcing that she might cop off. I can still see her at the front door when she said that.

"Hope springs eternal (in the human breast)

It is human nature always to find fresh cause for optimism"

Alexander Pope Essay on Man.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just had the letter concerning eye screening all fine totally clear :):)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had the letter concerning eye screening all fine totally clear :):)
Had no letter yet, but instead of the pictures it was the eye doctor himself having a good look and he gave me the all clrear then and there as well :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Had no letter yet, but instead of the pictures it was the eye doctor himself having a good look and he gave me the all clrear then and there as well :)
That's great you had it straight from the horses mouth no need to wait for the letter.:)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great you had it straight from the horses mouth no need to wait for the letter.:)
Where does the expression from the horses mouth come from I have never met a talking horse and their breath is not usually very fresh !!!:angelic:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's a 20th century horse racing term means from the highest authority on the form of a horse, better than trainers stable lads etcetera as no one would know better about the horse than the horse it's self.

In the Syracuse Herald, May 1913:
"I got a tip yesterday, and if it wasn't straight from the horse's mouth it was jolly well the next thing to it."

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

If she did, she never said. :hilarious:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just like to say it being Saturday night I have enjoyed a few noggins of whiskey and am feeling almost fine cold is on the wain and am relaxed so hope you are all enjoying your weekend and having a good time.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I enjoyed reading about your grandma so much. Thank you for posting that story.
Elsewhere there's been some posts about the poem "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple" and all the cool things the woman will do ...
Now I like the idea of wearing a powder blue coat! Your grandma sounds like an amazing woman. :)

... Now I think of it, when my mother was getting up into her 70s she made a lovely sort of heathery-powder-blue coat that was her all-weather coat. She was a very sprightly lady too.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just like to say it being Saturday night I have enjoyed a few noggins of whiskey and am feeling almost fine cold is on the wain and am relaxed so hope you are all enjoying your weekend and having a good time.
I am!
have been out for dinner with best friend and aunt, diabetes behaved well, against all odds, and my aunt gave me a perfect pair of socks with a picture of someone walking their dog and a cool t-shirt saying 'On day release from H.M. Prison Dartmoor'. Not sure if there's a hidden message there, but she travels a lot and always tries to bring me a t-shirt.
I think she secretly likes t-shirts with prints as much as I do and I'm the only one she knows who will actually wear them :hilarious:
I have a very nice aunt!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully someone who knows will chime in about the one-day release message. I like graphic T-shirts too (although I don't like the term "graphic" for them -- too "graphic" IMO!). Reading about Dartmoor prison always makes me think of the convict Selden in The Hound of the Baskervilles.

regular.jpg