Increased carbs = increased exercise?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finding it hard to adjust to the idea I may never be able to have a roast again or a piece of cake. Trying to think of ways I can still have them occasionally

@Elpurple it is very difficult when first diagnosed. I certainly did struggle with the idea of never eating certain things again. It will get easier - my tastes have changed over time and what I eat now bears no resemblance to what I ate immediately after diagnosis, even though I did go pretty much straight to keto.

Roast dinners are definitely in, just make a few tweaks - those @Rachox suggests are good.

So far as cakes are concerned, there are many recipes for low carb cakes which can satisfy those needs. There’s also a company called deliciously guilt free that make very low carb cakes using good ingredients. They do online orders.

As someone who does a lot of exercise, this does help with BG control, but not nearly so much as diet.

Do you have a BG meter so you can test the impact of what you’re eating on your blood sugars?

Reactions: Rachox

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Elpurple it is very difficult when first diagnosed. I certainly did struggle with the idea of never eating certain things again. It will get easier - my tastes have changed over time and what I eat now bears no resemblance to what I ate immediately after diagnosis, even though I did go pretty much straight to keto.

Roast dinners are definitely in, just make a few tweaks - those @Rachox suggests are good.

So far as cakes are concerned, there are many recipes for low carb cakes which can satisfy those needs. There’s also a company called deliciously guilt free that make very low carb cakes using good ingredients. They do online orders.

As someone who does a lot of exercise, this does help with BG control, but not nearly so much as diet.

Do you have a BG meter so you can test the impact of what you’re eating on your blood sugars?

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I have a meter, I test every morning before breakfast at the moment but will need to get in the habit of checking more frequently once I am past my chest infection which has been dragging on for almost a month. I think that is affecting some of my BG readings.

Reactions: Goonergal

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for replying.

Yes, I have a meter, I test every morning before breakfast at the moment but will need to get in the habit of checking more frequently once I am past my chest infection which has been dragging on for almost a month. I think that is affecting some of my BG readings.

Fasting test (that is first thing in the morning before eating anything) is not so helpful initially as it’s the last reading to stabilise. What you really need to be doing is to test before and two hours after each meal to learn what effect the meals you are eating are having on you. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols/l and to never exceed 8.5 (or some people say 7.8). I found my meter to be an essential tool, used in a way to learn what to eat and in what quantities.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To me it is a big adjustment.

I don’t think it is helpful linking an occasional piece of cake with losing toes. Particularly not for someone starting out when it all seems overwhelming anyway.

Sorry that you don't think its helpful.. however my main reason for posting on the forum is to assist people in putting T2 into remission. People in the real world are indeed going blind and suffering amputations because the standard of care for T2 in the UK is pretty appalling and makes me extremely angry.
If my posts help to save one limb or one person's sight then I will feel completely vindicated.

Your own health is in your hands. We can only advise from our own experience and point the way.
I wish you the best of health.

Reactions: jjraak

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry that you don't think its helpful.. however my main reason for posting on the forum is to assist people in putting T2 into remission. People in the real world are indeed going blind and suffering amputations because the standard of care for T2 in the UK is pretty appalling and makes me extremely angry.
If my posts help to save one limb or one person's sight then I will feel completely vindicated.

Your own health is in your hands. We can only advise from our own experience and point the way.
I wish you the best of health.

I do appreciate what you said, I think it was just the link between an occasional desert or treat and complications. I know they happen but starting out (again) I need to know that I can find a balance between eating healthily and an occasional treat. I’m making big carb changes which does seem to be working.

I think for those who need a short sharp shock then your advice is spot on. I know what I’m in for, just need some educating along the way.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do appreciate what you said, I think it was just the link between an occasional desert or treat and complications. I know they happen but starting out (again) I need to know that I can find a balance between eating healthily and an occasional treat. I’m making big carb changes which does seem to be working.

I think for those who need a short sharp shock then your advice is spot on. I know what I’m in for, just need some educating along the way.
Finding the balance, the optimal position, is good.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so I’ve been at this low carb lark for over two years and my HbA1c results have been non diabetic for two years. Here’s what I had for lunch today, no exercise after, just sitting in front of the telly watching a film. Blood sugar checked before and two hours after first bite showed a drop of 0.1mmols/l. I’m not doing this to show off but to show that a roast dinner can still be enjoyed with no detrimental effect to a type 2 :)
(The dessert btw is sugar free jelly, cream and a sprinkling of low carb chocolate granola)
6A896127-5F20-430D-866D-AD786C42CB6E.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so I’ve been at this low carb lark for over two years and my HbA1c results have been non diabetic for two years. Here’s what I had for lunch today, no exercise after, just sitting in front of the telly watching a film. Blood sugar checked before and two hours after first bite showed a drop of 0.1mmols/l. I’m not doing this to show off but to show that a roast dinner can still be enjoyed with no detrimental effect to a type 2 :)
(The dessert btw is sugar free jelly, cream and a sprinkling of low carb chocolate granola)
View attachment 35930
Hehe. That roast platter looks a bit like my own with a solitary roast spud. But it works though.

Reactions: jjraak and Rachox

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 35930

So if your results are non-diabetic (amazing by the way) do you ever have a great meal? I did wondering your u should eat when you hit non-diabetic bloods. Can you relax a little but still eat low carb most of the time?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So if your results are non-diabetic (amazing by the way) do you ever have a great meal? I did wondering your u should eat when you hit non-diabetic bloods. Can you relax a little but still eat low carb most of the time?

I very rarely go over 30 - 50g carbs per day now. I think my tolerance of carbs has improved with my weight loss. I ate ten small chips on holiday recently and hit 6.1 at 2 hours after then back to pre meal level by 3 hours. I believe that I still have the potential for it all to go wrong again if I’m not careful though.
You ask if I ever have a great meal, I love my way of eating now so every meal is great ;)

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I very rarely go over 30 - 50g carbs per day now. I think my tolerance of carbs has improved with my weight loss. I ate ten small chips on holiday recently and hit 6.1 at 2 hours after then back to pre meal level by 3 hours. I believe that I still have the potential for it all to go wrong again if I’m not careful though.
You ask if I ever have a great meal, I love my way of eating now so every meal is great ;)

I think that is what I got to a couple of years ago. I could relax my eating and everything was fine, then I got complacent. Then my mental health deteriorated and stress eating and here I am!

I will say that going back to reducing carbs seems to be working even after just a short period of time. I don’t mind it, I’ve had a stir fry for tea and don’t feel hungry. I’m logging carbs on my fitness pal and am around 150.

Reactions: ickihun and Rachox

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You can mitigate the carbs to an extent. By performing some resistance training before a meal your muscles will take up some of the glucose hit without insulin (I did 10 barbell squats @ > 140 kg just before dinner), this is a body building trick. Studies have shown that a walk after dinner limits the spike of a meal. I do at least the later after a low carb hf / hp, but even higher level athletes can become pre-diabetic so this is perhaps not optimum trying to cover higher carbs with exercise.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Everyone is different so finding you're own foods which help you is key.
I love stir-frys. I love biscuit making and cooking for my family with or without vegetables.
Ps if I ate Rachel's 2 course meal I'd be in pain (due to reduced stomach) and high bgs from protein and veg if without insulin injected.
See. All different.

A typical type2 newly diagnosed from new(ish) symptoms can achieve remission far easier.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I sympathise with you greatly. I’m one of those people who, if I stayed on Keto for 10 years, would still dream about eating a Melton Mowbray pork pie, dream about my wife’s home made chocolate cake covered in melted galaxy chocolate, dream about apple pie/crumble, and my ideal Christmas dinner is Turkey leg, ton of different veg, loads of potatoes, Yorkshire puds, and gravy. And I would cover all the veg in bread sauce. No point me having one roast potato at Christmas, that to me would be torture, would rather have none if I couldn’t have four or five.

My mum died about 25 years ago, she made nice spicy bun cakes, I haven’t had them for 25 years but if I think about them, I can still taste them. My point being, just because I’m on low carb, it will not change my memory of how nice her carb filled cakes taste.

Some people do lo carb and can’t understand why you would still want carbs, but we are all wired differently. If I stay on low carb, I will miss them for the rest of my life as I love carbs.

However, I did really really well last year, and come Christmas I decided I was going to have the normal dinner, was going to have some shortbread etc.

Since then it’s taken until this week for me to go back on Keto properly, and I weigh almost the same as I did when I first started it last year. We are all different, you might take a break for a day or two and go back on Keto with zero problems. I thought I would have no trouble returning to Keto after the amount of weight I had lost, I told others I was going to take a break, and was warned not to. I ignored them and paid the price.

For me personally, if I have too many carbs in one day (and I’m still talking way below the amount of carbs in say a piece of chocolate cake), I come straight out of ketosis and take nearly a week before I start loosing weight again. If I treated my self to say carbs at one meal a week, I wouldn’t loose an ounce.

Don’t know if you need to loose weight or just need to reduce sugar levels, I suppose (don’t know) if you are at your ideal weight, a once a week carb treat might not do too much harm, trouble is, once a week leads to a few biscuits at work etc and before you know it, your on carbs big time.

Another problem for me personally is that I don’t really like things pretending to be something else. A veggie burger/sausage to me is a completely different thing from any meat burger/sausage. The same goes for Keto foods. Keto pizza is not anything like a nice proper pizza, others may well love it, but for me I would rather they called these sorts of Keto dishes something else entirely than try to pretend they are something they are not.

I don’t mind Keto bread, tastes a bit eggy (haven’t tried adding a bit of cider vinegar yet), but comparing that to a freshly backed farmhouse loaf etc, two completely different products and my brain isn’t fooled.

I think certain things can work well, I saw a YouTube vid on making your own Keto ice cream, and something like that, may well taste as good as, if not better than shop bought tubs of ice cream.

I also made some Keto biscuits, they were very very nice, happy to eat them, but they’re no Scottish shortbread.

Then there’s watermelon. My fav fruit and I simply can’t have it anymore.

It is very hard for people like myself who will always miss carbs, I wish you the best and hope you can take the odd carb snack without it affecting you too much.

I’m lucky in that almond is my fav nut, so I love almond flavoured things. I’m unlucky in that the one thing I loath so much that it’s the only thing if served at someone else’s house, I couldn’t eat to be polite, and that’s the taste of coconut, which is in almost every other recipe.

I have numerous health issues too, due to which we have been very hard up. However things have changed financially, and next year we are having a holiday of a lifetime, first proper holiday in over 10 years, two weeks staying in Disney World Florida. It really doesn’t matter how stupid people tell me I’m being, especially after me taking so long to go back to Keto after Christmas, the simple fact is, for those two weeks I’m going to enjoy myself. If I’m in one of their parks, I will eat ice cream etc etc, and I will have a few beers. For me it’s a balance. I’m sticking to Keto this Christmas, but if I can’t enjoy a holiday of a lifetime, I may as well give up living now.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I sympathise with you greatly. I’m one of those people who, if I stayed on Keto for 10 years, would still dream about eating a Melton Mowbray pork pie, dream about my wife’s home made chocolate cake covered in melted galaxy chocolate, dream about apple pie/crumble, and my ideal Christmas dinner is Turkey leg, ton of different veg, loads of potatoes, Yorkshire puds, and gravy. And I would cover all the veg in bread sauce. No point me having one roast potato at Christmas, that to me would be torture, would rather have none if I couldn’t have four or five.

My mum died about 25 years ago, she made nice spicy bun cakes, I haven’t had them for 25 years but if I think about them, I can still taste them. My point being, just because I’m on low carb, it will not change my memory of how nice her carb filled cakes taste.

Some people do lo carb and can’t understand why you would still want carbs, but we are all wired differently. If I stay on low carb, I will miss them for the rest of my life as I love carbs.

However, I did really really well last year, and come Christmas I decided I was going to have the normal dinner, was going to have some shortbread etc.

Since then it’s taken until this week for me to go back on Keto properly, and I weigh almost the same as I did when I first started it last year. We are all different, you might take a break for a day or two and go back on Keto with zero problems. I thought I would have no trouble returning to Keto after the amount of weight I had lost, I told others I was going to take a break, and was warned not to. I ignored them and paid the price.

For me personally, if I have too many carbs in one day (and I’m still talking way below the amount of carbs in say a piece of chocolate cake), I come straight out of ketosis and take nearly a week before I start loosing weight again. If I treated my self to say carbs at one meal a week, I wouldn’t loose an ounce.

Don’t know if you need to loose weight or just need to reduce sugar levels, I suppose (don’t know) if you are at your ideal weight, a once a week carb treat might not do too much harm, trouble is, once a week leads to a few biscuits at work etc and before you know it, your on carbs big time.

Another problem for me personally is that I don’t really like things pretending to be something else. A veggie burger/sausage to me is a completely different thing from any meat burger/sausage. The same goes for Keto foods. Keto pizza is not anything like a nice proper pizza, others may well love it, but for me I would rather they called these sorts of Keto dishes something else entirely than try to pretend they are something they are not.

I don’t mind Keto bread, tastes a bit eggy (haven’t tried adding a bit of cider vinegar yet), but comparing that to a freshly backed farmhouse loaf etc, two completely different products and my brain isn’t fooled.

I think certain things can work well, I saw a YouTube vid on making your own Keto ice cream, and something like that, may well taste as good as, if not better than shop bought tubs of ice cream.

I also made some Keto biscuits, they were very very nice, happy to eat them, but they’re no Scottish shortbread.

Then there’s watermelon. My fav fruit and I simply can’t have it anymore.

It is very hard for people like myself who will always miss carbs, I wish you the best and hope you can take the odd carb snack without it affecting you too much.

I’m lucky in that almond is my fav nut, so I love almond flavoured things. I’m unlucky in that the one thing I loath so much that it’s the only thing if served at someone else’s house, I couldn’t eat to be polite, and that’s the taste of coconut, which is in almost every other recipe.

I have numerous health issues too, due to which we have been very hard up. However things have changed financially, and next year we are having a holiday of a lifetime, first proper holiday in over 10 years, two weeks staying in Disney World Florida. It really doesn’t matter how stupid people tell me I’m being, especially after me taking so long to go back to Keto after Christmas, the simple fact is, for those two weeks I’m going to enjoy myself. If I’m in one of their parks, I will eat ice cream etc etc, and I will have a few beers. For me it’s a balance. I’m sticking to Keto this Christmas, but if I can’t enjoy a holiday of a lifetime, I may as well give up living now.
Don't forget good holiday insurance. You may need it. I hope you are OK after that holiday. I think it would poison me. Not my idea of a holiday.
Hay ho! We are all different.

Reactions: Ojustaboo

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone is different so finding you're own foods which help you is key.
I love stir-frys. I love biscuit making and cooking for my family with or without vegetables.
Ps if I ate Rachel's 2 course meal I'd be in pain (due to reduced stomach) and high bgs from protein and veg if without insulin injected.
See. All different.

A typical type2 newly diagnosed from new(ish) symptoms can achieve remission far easier.

Both my wife and her brother are skinny, she weighs 8 stone 5lb. She’s a mobile hairdresser and often has up to 5 cakes a day at various clients houses, there’s always a big bag of haribo sweets in our house that she eats daily etc. I remember years ago her brother eating two roast dinners a day plus some body builder supplement as he wanted to be s fireman, he had to give up, didn’t put on anything.

If I ate what my wife eats in a day I would be about 30 stone. The amount of sugary junk she eats is unbelievable. There was 5 of us the other afternoon, we all had a go in my blood sugar monitor. Mine was the highest, my wife’s the lowest.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget good holiday insurance. You may need it. I hope you are OK after that holiday. I think it would poison me. Not my idea of a holiday.
Hay ho! We are all different.

It’s been a nightmare. Quoted over £700 by one company and they wouldn’t cover either of us for anything heart related for that, me due to diabetes, wife due to a heat murmur they discovered when she was 18, even though she’s 53 and had zero problems with it (only remembers she’s got it when she fills out forms such as our travel Insurance.

Got it for £307 in the end with full cover for everything including my list of 17 pre existing conditions, which I thought reasonable.

I don’t intend to go carb mad, don’t know why I put beer in my previous post, it’s more the odd ice cream and a few margaritas, likewise I won’t eat any bread, but when out as their restaurants, depending on the place, I will treat myself to a few carbs here and there :)

Elpurple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s been a nightmare. Quoted over £700 by one company and they wouldn’t cover either of us for anything heart related for that, me due to diabetes, wife due to a heat murmur they discovered when she was 18, even though she’s 53 and had zero problems with it (only remembers she’s got it when she fills out forms such as our travel Insurance.

Got it for £307 in the end with full cover for everything including my list of 17 pre existing conditions, which I thought reasonable.

I don’t intend to go carb mad, don’t know why I put beer in my previous post, it’s more the odd ice cream and a few margaritas, likewise I won’t eat any bread, but when out as their restaurants, depending on the place, I will treat myself to a few carbs here and there :)

I agree it’s about balance. I’m not going to deprive myself but I am going to be careful and focus on eating healthily. Gradually I can see my blood sugars going down in the morning and I’m losing weight so I must be heading in the right direction

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

If I have a roast on that day but do extra exercise then does that help cancel out the extra carbs?

I don't think exercises for diabetes are meant that way. We still have to mind our carbs.

If you can't resist the urge to eat the carbs that comes with the roast, I suggest eating only very small portions of it. But do you have the self-control to limit yourself to a small portion? Once we cross a threshold, it usually leads to downfall. That's how it usually starts with falling off the wagon.

The ideal would be to have side dishes that are diabetic-friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elpurple