New diagnosis

newbie2019

Hi everyone. I was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes. The initial HbA1c reading was 59 and a fasting glucose of 8.7. I was advised to start taking meds, but I am giving diet and exercise a try. I have cut down carbs to a minimum, and within a few days of diagnosis I see that my fasting glucose is between 6.5 and 7. Is this normal? I am surprised at this huge jump. Thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes. The initial HbA1c reading was 59 and a fasting glucose of 8.7. I was advised to start taking meds, but I am giving diet and exercise a try. I have cut down carbs to a minimum, and within a few days of diagnosis I see that my fasting glucose is between 6.5 and 7. Is this normal? I am surprised at this huge jump. Thanks.
Your HbA1c isn't very high, and at this rate, I do believe you'll be back in the normal range pretty soon. All in all... Congratulations, you're getting it right. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for your encouraging message! :) I had been worried sick about it.
Of course you have been. I know I cried my eyes out for a long time until it all started to make sense, and I got a grip on this T2 thing. :) But you're being proactive, and guess what? That works! :) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help you along a little, if it's not all old news already, but by the sound of it... Be hopeful. It's going to be okay.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

There is a lot of useful information and support to be found on this site. Ask any questions you like and let us know how you are going- good news is always worth celebrating.

Congratulations on your progress so far.

newbie2019

Hello and welcome.

There is a lot of useful information and support to be found on this site. Ask any questions you like and let us know how you are going- good news is always worth celebrating.

Congratulations on your progress so far.

Thank you, @VashtiB! I am hoping that I will see a drop in the sugar levels in the coming weeks!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just like to let people know, that if you are doing everything right and if things don't make sense, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. I was and the latest stats say 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed at first. It is sometimes hard to tell because at the beginning you still make some insulin until you don't, and the only way to know for sure is to be tested for antibodies and c-peptide.

So just keep it in mind, just in case.

Reactions: HSSS

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just like to let people know, that if you are doing everything right and if things don't make sense, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. I was and the latest stats say 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed at first. It is sometimes hard to tell because at the beginning you still make some insulin until you don't, and the only way to know for sure is to be tested for antibodies and c-peptide.

Was your fasting insulin tested when you were misdiagnosed? If so, low low was it?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am the one that actually caught the first fluctuations but at the time of diagnosis I was waking up to 10's and commonly going into the 16's after eating when they decided I was a diabetic and a type 2.. Even before my BG's starting climbing I swam 75 laps a day in a gym pool, I was/am a strict vegan and ate very healthy. But I was overweight, not "obese" but overweight which is why I believe they just assumed I was a type 2. And I asked repeatedly if I could be a type 1 as I had an uncle that had died from being a type 1, but they never tested me, just kept insisting I was a type 2. It wasn't until I switched doctors that I was tested and properly diagnosed.

One thing they say points to a misdiagnosis is that within the first 3 years you need insulin to control your sugars. I wasn't even put on insulin for 5 years. So obviously it can be longer. Medications can help at the beginning, and changing diet only because you still are making some insulin sometimes for 8 years or more. You eventually have to have insulin as a type 1

I was very lucky and seemed to have escaped any complications from being misdiagnosed.. Of course some of any complications unfortunately could show up as issues later in life.

You and I both have chosen exercise & healthy eating low carb diet. Check out this (Dr Jason Fung) on YouTube. He says meds & insulin doesn't help diabetes. But fasting does along with eating & exercising. Very powerful! Advise.

Reactions: HSSS

newbie2019

Thank you. It looks like T2 in my case, but will keep an eye on the numbers.

Julie85

i was also recently diagnosed, to my surprise, at age 85.

Edited by moderator to remove disallowed content.

Last edited by a moderator: