Metformin sl

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi all. Been put on Metformin slow release but doc says 1 dose of 500mg is enough and I don’t need to go higher.

I’m not convinced. I thought it’s the same dose of 1000mg in the morning and same in the evening.

I want it to take my appetite away.

Anyone help??

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. 500mg will have only a small effect and even 2000mg per day won't be dramatic. A Low carb diet is usually the best first approach where the lack of carbs will cause the appetite for carbs to be reduced as long as you have enough proteins and fats to go with the low carb

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi. 500mg will have only a small effect and even 2000mg per day won't be dramatic. A Low carb diet is usually the best first approach where the lack of carbs will cause the appetite for carbs to be reduced as long as you have enough proteins and fats to go with the low carb
Thanks. I low carb. I need to know whether I’m on the right dose to reduce my appetite.

Anyone??

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Sorry I’m not sure I explained. I was on Metformin for 1 yr. it was intolerable so asked to be put onto slow release.

I was on 2000mg of Metformin now I’m on 500mg of the extended release.

My doc says that’s all I need to take, but that seems low to me?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi all. Been put on Metformin slow release but doc says 1 dose of 500mg is enough and I don’t need to go higher.

I’m not convinced. I thought it’s the same dose of 1000mg in the morning and same in the evening.

I want it to take my appetite away.

Anyone help??

Hello Major,
I feel you may be asking the wrong question. Surely you aim should be to reduce your Blood Glucose and the Metformin often helps with that. However if your BG is under control then you may well need less Metformin to help control it.

The primary way that Metformin reduces you BG is not through appetite suppression (which is just a possible side effect).

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

Metformin never curbed my appetite when I was taking it.

I lost weight by going overkill with lchf till I went past my target weight. Then went to a moderate lchf to maintain my weight at my present levels.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I lost weight by going overkill with lchf till I went past my target weight. Then went to a moderate lchf to maintain my weight at my present levels.
Overkill. I like that choice of word.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hello Major,
I feel you may be asking the wrong question. Surely you aim should be to reduce your Blood Glucose and the Metformin often helps with that. However if your BG is under control then you may well need less Metformin to help control it.

The primary way that Metformin reduces you BG is not through appetite suppression (which is just a possible side effect).

Not interested in your response. Feel free no to do so again.

Quoted content edited in alignment with earlier Mod intervention

Last edited by a moderator:

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

It’s a well known side effect in a lot of people. It helped me a lot in that regard which is why I’m wondering if the sl version is the same.

I can’t eat too much fat it makes me feel so sick so not having an appetite helps me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just a reminder to all that Forum rules call for polite interaction and that the OP asks a specific question about slow release met and appetite. Please keep on topic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Major Buckmaster - In order to bring your thread back to topic; I don't think anyone can tell you if the dose of medication you have been prescribed will act in the way you want.

I have never taken Metformin so have no personal experience to offer you, but from observation, some people seem to find even the most modest dose totally changes their appetite and eating preferences (sometimes related to a metalic taste in their mouths), and others feel it does nothing for them.

I would suggest you try the dose prescribed for a short while, and if it isn't giving you the results you are hoping for, have another chat with your GP.

I would suggest that, bearing in mind your last experience with Metformin, your GP is probably quite right to play it safe with a modest dose, at least to begin with, to minimise side-effects.

I hope it works for you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Major Buckmaster

My first experience with Metformin was that it gave me a nasty taste in the mouth, which had a secondary side effect that I didn’t want to eat stuff that tasted like that.

Years later, I tried Met again, and found the normal stuff had no side effects, so I switched to slow release and got the gut problems! Which I thought was weird.

I have since begun to wonder whether the brand of Metformin may be as relevant to the side effects as the declared dose.

I know that doesn’t directly address your question, but in future, if/when your doc increases your SR dose, you may find the tablets become a little more (or less, or different) in effect by switching to a different pharmacy that dispenses a different brand.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take the standard release Metformin, only had very very short term gut problems with it (maybe just a week), I feel that even after two plus years it diminishes my appetite, so amongst other benefits I have continued to take it for that. My meals are way smaller than I ate before my diagnosis. I have no experience of the extended release so don’t know if it’s any different, I’d go with DCUKMod’s idea, try your current dose and consider discussing upping the dose with your GP if you don’t get the desired effect.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I take the standard release Metformin, only had very very short term gut problems with it (maybe just a week), I feel that even after two plus years it diminishes my appetite, so amongst other benefits I have continued to take it for that. My meals are way smaller than I ate before my diagnosis. I have no experience of the extended release so don’t know if it’s any different, I’d go with DCUKMod’s idea, try your current dose and consider discussing upping the dose with your GP if you don’t get the desired effect.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m glad you understand. Yes I shall give it a month and see how I feel then discuss with doc about increasing the dose if I’m okay with it.

If I’m hungry I have less control you see.

Reactions: Rachox

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
@Major Buckmaster - In order to bring your thread back to topic; I don't think anyone can tell you if the dose of medication you have been prescribed will act in the way you want.

I have never taken Metformin so have no personal experience to offer you, but from observation, some people seem to find even the most modest dose totally changes their appetite and eating preferences (sometimes related to a metalic taste in their mouths), and others feel it does nothing for them.

I would suggest you try the dose prescribed for a short while, and if it isn't giving you the results you are hoping for, have another chat with your GP.

I would suggest that, bearing in mind your last experience with Metformin, your GP is probably quite right to play it safe with a modest dose, at least to begin with, to minimise side-effects.

I hope it works for you.

Thank you. I’ll take your advice!

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
@Major Buckmaster

My first experience with Metformin was that it gave me a nasty taste in the mouth, which had a secondary side effect that I didn’t want to eat stuff that tasted like that.

Years later, I tried Met again, and found the normal stuff had no side effects, so I switched to slow release and got the gut problems! Which I thought was weird.

I have since begun to wonder whether the brand of Metformin may be as relevant to the side effects as the declared dose.

I know that doesn’t directly address your question, but in future, if/when your doc increases your SR dose, you may find the tablets become a little more (or less, or different) in effect by switching to a different pharmacy that dispenses a different brand.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

It’s a strange drug for sure. Yes I found it altered my taste too.