Banning snacking on public transport....

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

Been reading about this in the news today and just wondered what other people's thoughts were about this...

I've read a couple of comments saying that those with a medical condition should carry a form of ID on them to prove they need to eat something...

I don't particularly like eating anything on public transport but when needs must I will and I always carry something with me to be on the safe side.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I don’t actually see how the ban is enforceable.
But they said medical conditions would be exempt.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I just read it on BBC news, apparently it is to tackle childhood obesity. I don’t agree with it because sometimes it is the only time to sit comfortably to snack on something. It’ll be like school all over again to carry a medical ID to prove you need to eat and drink. Surely there are other ways to tackle obesity.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Who is going to police this policy, especially on busses?

Education before legislation.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't see how they would enforce it either. I'm an early years teacher and agree there's a huge problem with childhood obesity (the amount of children who get greeted at the end of every day with a family-size pack of sweets/chocolate/crisps is heartbreaking to see) but don't see how this particular idea will work. We spend a lot of time teaching children about healthy lifestyles but it is often ignored by some parents sadly, who argue that they can only afford junk food because it's cheaper.
If it were to be adopted, I would absolutely hate having to try justifying my eating sweets or similar when low.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I laughed when reading your post at first but then thought about how horrid that would be if it were to happen...
My far too active imagination pictured people having diabetes being given "Diabetes Cards" which can be flashed if any one questions snacking.
Then there will be a market for fake Diabetes Cards amongst kids who fancy a chocolate bar.
Or people carrying syringes around with them as "proof" they have diabetes.
Then someone who really does have diabetes will be chucked off the bus mid-hypo, especially if they appear to be acting drunk.

But, imagination aside, I can't see it working - how would they enforce it?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To me it seems like a stupid idea, it is a good idea to have a doctors note for airports, but I should not need one when travelling on the local bus/train!
And as I think I read on one the BBC's pages, it'll just mean even less people want to use public transport and it'll be even more inconvenient than it already is for many.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You would of course all get one of those bg tattoos on your foreheads that changes color when your bg levels change. Obviously having diabetes isn't enough to be allowed to eat as long as you're not low. The snipers would be instructed not to shoot eaters with the right color tattoo.
Hats off when hypo.

I would have given a more serious reaction but I find it impossible when politics come up with such ridiculous ideas.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

That would only work if medical exemptions are easily identified from the towers.
Would people with diabetes treated by BG lowering medication be expected to wear a flashing light on their head?

Or perhaps some technology can be fitted to the seats - medical exemptions would carry a special automatic radio deactivation device in their pockets (or attached to their insulin pens).
If the sensor in the seat detects food and there is no deactivation device in the vicinity, the occupant of the seat receives an electric shock.
A similar device can be placed in hand rails to stop people snacking whilst standing.

Barcodes tattooed on your foreheads so that the enforcement drones can verify your credentials? Hahaha what a dystopian nightmare we are slowly trundling toward. Rather than reverse course on the disastrous dietary advice that we continue to dole out, how about we instead just ban food altogether? It's the only way to be sure!

I'd love to laugh it all off as the views of one isolated nut job, but the five universal laws of human stupidity almost guarantee it'll happen sooner or later. I notice also that the BBC seems to be extolling the virtues of the current "sugar tax" on beverages, when just a few weeks ago they published data indicating that overall consumption has risen since it came into force :banghead:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm thinking that the sniper towers would need to be automated, and using facial recognition software.
Therefore they would be able to identify (and ignore) registered diabetics (especially those with the right colour tattoos).

Pity the poor undiagnosed, and those with lookalike doppelgangers...

Seriously, though. Hard to ban snacks on 'public transport' that makes money out of the snacks - such as the rail franchises with their dining cars and refreshment trolleys. Especially when the staff get a cut from the sales.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...lman-offers-escapism-and-luxury-a6840901.html

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmm, "to tackle childhood obesety."

It's basically a policy to keep the transport clean from wrappers, crumbs & cans
On the whole, no one likes to board a bendy bus & see a discarded double decker on the seat.
Cutting the cost on the frequency of cleaning most bus drivers have had this unwritten agenda for years?
Then there is the waste managment & subsiquent disposal costs of these transport businesses.

It's just a thinly disguised "keep busses tidy" campaign.

Plain & simple. Nobody likes a grubby bus. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who is going to police this policy, especially on busses?

Education before legislation.

As passengers, we can all do our "bit" with this cut out & keep Blakey mask...

image.jpeg

Reactions: DJC3 and HSSS
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

Been reading about this in the news today and just wondered what other people's thoughts were about this...

I've read a couple of comments saying that those with a medical condition should carry a form of ID on them to prove they need to eat something...

I don't particularly like eating anything on public transport but when needs must I will and I always carry something with me to be on the safe side.

I'm the same, I don't eat on public transport either, unless I was on quite a long journey and lunch or tea was needed.

Just bizarre :rolleyes:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worse. You woke up in 1984. Unlucky.

yey! Does that mean I'm suddenly diabetes free then! (DX 1997) And I could then buy shares in early Microsoft and Apple and become a millionaire ?!?! :hilarious::hilarious:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating on public transport or in the streets seems to be a modern phenomenon. When I was at school it was strictly forbidden whilst wearing school uniform. I was once given a detention for eating sweets standing at a bus stop on my way home.

Reactions: DJC3