How to stop Messing up

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Today i ate some biscuits. Not really sure how many. Definitely more than anyone should eat.
What is worse, they were not even nice. Knew I should not be eating them, realised I wasn't enjoying them and kept right on.
Anyone know why this happens? How to prevent it in future.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Today i ate some biscuits. Not really sure how many. Definitely more than anyone should eat.
What is worse, they were not even nice. Knew I should not be eating them, realised I wasn't enjoying them and kept right on.

Don’t let them in the house. Never go to shop hungry and remember the nasty feeling.

I had to work incredibly hard all day not to eat sweets today. Don’t know where it cane from but it didn’t help walking round Tesco. But I also need my sugars to come down. My body is lying to me when it says I will enjoy them. I have to remind myself how bad I’ll feel after. Then for days after as well.

But it’s fine and dusted, can’t change it. So enjoy them and start again tomorrow.

mouseee

I had absolute cravings and carb fests before dx and had no idea why, much more in control now.

Since then have had only 2 or 3 blips in the same number of months of doing LC. Had crisps once and scoffed far too many, suffered carb hangover headache.
Had half a slice of toast the other day and a couple of chocolates but managed to stop quickly enough to stop it being too bad.

I think once you get a taste of carbs again then you can't stop. I suppose it's like an addiction. I am now better at not starting but it can be so hard!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Why this happens? - Probably old habits.
How to prevent? - Well if they were in your house, it may be simple to avoid. Just make a rule of no biscuits in your house. When food shopping- make a list and stick to it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why this happens? - Probably old habits.
How to prevent? - Well if they were in your house, it may be simple to avoid. Just make a rule of no biscuits in your house. When food shopping- make a list and stick to it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is a simple and obvious route to take. However am not the only person in the house. My husbands dietary requirements are almost opposite to mine so we need to have white bread, cake, pasta, rice and biscuits. He needs low protein, low potassium diet.
As you say would be lot easier not to buy biscuits.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You have my sympathy. It is hard when there are others in the house with different dietary requirements.

I don't think there is an easy answer- I wish there were. I also have a husband and children in the house so we have a lot of food that I really can't eat. For me the only thing that has kept me on the straight and narrow (only for 3 months so not long yet) has been fear- fear of getting out of ketosis and having another lot of keto flu but even more fear of not being able to stop once I started. I'm a carb addict- I miss carbs nearly as much as when I started LCHF but at least a little less. It only really hits me when my family is having a meal including sweet potato fries or when I'm at the shops. Most days my meals are planned so I don't have to think about them at all. Also we don't keep my favourite carbs in the house so no chocolate or biscuits at all.

Anyway- it's done tomorrow is a fresh start. One mistake is not so much in a lifetime. And maybe the knowledge that you didn't really enjoy them will stop you being as tempted next time.

Good luck.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have a bad habit of eating too many biscuits, or sugary stuff, and then feeling guilty. Then I managed to stop. I'm not quite sure how, so I can't pretend I really know, but I think if you can, rather than treat yourself to sugary foods, maybe see if you can "treat yourself" with healthier food. Try to find other things you really like, and think of as special treats, and then reward yourself with them. It might turn out a bit expensive at first, but it could change a bad habit.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Sometimes you just have to breathe.
Today I nearly succumbed. I had been mooching round ally pally at a knitting show and by time I got to Victoria I was starting to get peckish! The first sign was when I was looking at a minty wool and could only think of mint choc chip ice cream

Went to pret to get tea and all there was was cakes cakes and cakes. Not quite sure how I did it but I didn’t have one. It was t easy and my brain was going, go in it’s only 1 that’s not going to do anything, but, and I don’t know where this cane from either but I also had a voice going, but you have done so well in last 2 months don’t spoil it for one stupid little thing. So I didn’t have anything!!

My folks are down next weekend so likely I’ll have a taster of a cake with them but today was blooming difficult. In fact last few days the cravings have been harder. Don’t know why but I want cake!

Sometimes you just have to suffer to not suffer

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess that we all have little lapses from time to time. We wouldn't be human if we didn't.

One biscuit leads to two - Thats the problem.

Tommorrow is another day. Don't lose too much sleep over it.

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't go shopping when hungry or when tired or when you got low sugar level. Recently I was in store and was so desperate for some sweets I bought whole loads of them, and when I ate one, I was full of food, but also full of regret for buying all of that. ;/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy - Is the issue specifically with biscuits, or carbs generally?

If it's solely biscuits, could your MrSlim do without biccies for a while? I appreciate he has a health condition meaning "white stuff" helps him out, but wouldn't there be plenty left for him, without biscuits?

Have you had an A1c test done since you've settled in France? Having got all the stress of the big move out of the way, it'd be useful to know where you stand with things.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This past week I had Italian chocolate covered almonds. Usually I'm fine with one after dinner and still stay within the whole keto thing, as they'r not that big.... But then I had five or something, in one go. They're very sugary and I felt my bloodsugars go up. Became dizzy, with the room tilting, and everything going rubbery. Basically the same stuff that happens with a hypo, to me anyway. I love keto and do fine on it... And then I do something I know is bad for me and I'll have to pay for. Rebelling against the T2, I guess... But I think that's called being human. ;)

Honestly.... Just start the next day fresh. And try and not have biscuits in plain view. I tend to hide things in cabinets I don't use often, or if it's for my husband, he'll take it to work with him where I won't have to see it or smell it. You can do this... And falling off the wagon happens to all of us. Just have to get right back on. (And if you do fall off.... Try and make it something you enjoyed the heck out of. Not something bland. ;) Make it count! :) )

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it has something to do with frustration and punishing yourself. Is your weight stable now? Maybe your body wants more food. I find having plenty of low or no carb treats in the house at all times helps. Then when I need to pig out, I can stuff up on foods that don't affect my bs, like cheese, salmon, olives and I always have plenty of chicken legs. I still feel bad when I am bloated but at least my bs is good. I spend more than I would like to on food, but . . .

Reactions: Alison54321

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think once you get a taste of carbs again then you can't stop. I suppose it's like an addiction. I am now better at not starting but it can be so hard!
I have to agree with this and, unfortunately, I'm at the point where I've succumbed to the temptation and now can't stop. There's also a large element of comfort eating too, though, as I'm feeling somewhat low at the moment.

It's certainly easier to control once it's all out of your system. I really must remember that BEFORE I eat chocolate/bread etc another time!!!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DCUKMod biscuits in general are not a problem, am not sure why this packet got me, MrSlim had one, didn't eat any more( he obviously wasn't impressed) so the packet was open and lying about for ages. Had two, thinking they needed eating up. Wasnt impressed either - they are very french, biscuit bit like rich tea, but much sweeter, sandwiched with vanilla cream, overpowering vanilla and massively sweet. Next day binge.
Am hoping to get A1c test done in UK later this month.
@Tipetoo most days willpower gets me through. Its difficult because the general concensus is i need to gain weight, so people will offer me cake.
My mother is type two. Dinner there was roast chicken with stuffing, roast potatoes, potato gratin, roast parsnips, mashed carrot and swede, thin gravy and peas. Followed by tiramisu and cheesecake. Awkward situation.
@VashtiB thank you for the sympathy,and agree it is hard when others are eating items you would enjoy.
@JoKalsbeek today is another day, and yes, if i am going to eat the "wrong" stuff it really should be something i enjoy. Of course I deliberately dont buy most of that....so its not in the house.
@JAT1 thanks for remembering my weight issues. Not exactly stable, fluctuates up or down a few pounds/kg a week but the downward slide has halted. You could be right about the need for more food, have given up entering every morsel into an ap- just too time consuming, so maybe not getting enough some days. As the weight up and down indicates. Spending on food is going to become an issue, we will be living on one pension between two soon.
@Energize you could be right about the comfort eating, bit stressed and low atm. Sorry to read you are feeling down too. Comfort eating doesn't help, for more that two seconds anyway, afterwards is the guilt and self recrimination making us feel even more miserable... Hope you will soon find a way out of this horrible cycle.

Thank you all for your input, Today was a better day. I really need to plan meals, not just buy some food.
By the way, those biscuits were bought to offer to the builders who were here last week, but they both refused them. There is, in the same cupboard, a pack of specially imported digestives that have remained unopened for six weeks...And I love digestives.

Reactions: Energize
M

Member496333

Not worth beating yourself up over. What’s done is done and tomorrow’s another day. Get up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse :cool: