Low/ok at bedtime, high mornings?

Lillyse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I've noticed a trend since I started using my new Contour next with an app that makes it easier to look for patterns (although the app mostly don't want to work which makes me crazy, but that's another thread...).

I usually am really good before going to bed, 3,9-6. Last night my profile was 4,6 mmol/l 4 hours after dinner, 6,4 mmol/l 6h after. Upon waking I was 15! (40 mins later I'm still over 15.) I did sleep really bad and woke with a headache though, but that is usually not the case. I eat like I usually do.

I haven't noticed dawn phenomenon in me before, and since it started creepin upwards right before bed I don't think that is it. (I will go back in my old meter and look though.) Could it be the Lantus being from a bad batch? Maybe I froze it in the fridge? I do tend to have some random highs during the day these last couple of weeks, but after two days of ridiculous high readings I switched both pens and all felt good for a while... Or maybe I just need to up my dose at night?

I must admit, before I found this place I used to take my levels about 4 times a day and didn't look for patterns. Was it between 3.5 and 10 I was happy, no matter when on the day. But I can't recall this big of a difference and this many over 10's...

Hoping for some input and ideas from you! Need someone to bounce ideas with... :cat:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lillyse Before you think about DP try doing some 3am blood tests, so set your alarm, if you're already high at this point then it could be down to what you ate the night before or possible infection, if you're still in range at this point but wake high then DP would be the likely cause, always look for patterns though, a few nights in succession.

Reactions: Lillyse

Lillyse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kim Possible I haven't heard of a basal test before, so that is someting i'll read about. :) I'm not doing anything different in regards to food or stress. Maybe I have an infection or cold on its way, but I havn't noticed anything yet but it could be it. Thank you, it's a constant investigation with t1 :p

@Juicyj The alarm idea seems good. I'll try that and also take some more readings than I currently do to find what's going on.

Reactions: Juicyj

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Could you be going hypo at night and going high as a result of your liver pumping in glucose to recover from the hypo?

Reactions: JMK1954 and Lillyse

Lillyse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you be going hypo at night and going high as a result of your liver pumping in glucose to recover from the hypo?
I don't think so, but I will try to test at night for some days and see if that can be it. Thanks for the idea! :)

Lillyse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaaargh, this day... I got the morning levels down. Had lunch at 3 o'clock. Started at 5,5 before the meal. 4,9 2h after that soon had a small hypo which i didn't test for but took a dextrotab. 4 more hours passed, no food in that time, and got a reading of 13.

Some days are just strange. Took a correction dose and my basal, will eat when I get home from work (soon, yeeey).
I keep dreaming of that perfect day... :angelic: :):hungover: