Feeling Isolated

wullie09

The I had an appointment a Doctor on other matters, and then with the Diabetes Nurse I was directed to; both told me the same, I had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes over 12 months ago. The Diabetes Nurse I was directed to also told me that the appointment with her was my Annual Review. Fortunately my wife [carer] was with me on all meetings with Doctors or nurses to advise we had never been informed.
The Doctor prescribed metformin and asked for an appointment to be made in 6 weeks.

Just to paint a background picture: my wife + carer is 67 & is struggling health-wise at the moment: I have heavily onset COPD, blood-flow challenges in my legs and restricted mobility. Being on oxygen almost 24/7 is very restrictive. Alongside all of the above I am seriously overweight.

Hearing of the type 2 diabetes at the age of 71 with my background challenges was a big shock. I found out with my conditions mentioned above it was no surprise. Not much help now of course.

I was fortunate to be able to attend a meeting arranged for those suffering from diabetes within 10 days of being diagnosed. Whilst being informative it was obviously designed for a sizeable group of all types of diabetes. One of the speakers did advise the book "the 8-week blood sugar diet". I have found this to date to be the most informative of all detail so far supplied.

The book gives a lot of answers. With it being generalised there is much information i still need to know. Exercising is so important but my restrictive breathing and general tiredness is getting in the way, I do see me at least improving in this area over time.

What do I do about measurements. The book [and no doctor or nurse] suggested the finger prick blood test could be useful. i was hoping to get advice when I attended a meeting or doctor follow-up but these to be particularly evasive.
Maybe someone could help? I have taken readings at 9:30 over the last five mornings with the following results:~ 11.1 * 9.0 * 14.3 * 9.7 * 14.8
I don't know if I should take follow up tests or what to do at all. Several readings seem particularly high.

Another area where I am in limbo is with my diet. There are conflicts with my COPD but none the less have had a dramatic turnaround in what I am eating and certainly noticed the cost difference. My weight is exactly the same as it was 5 weeks ago. Obviously if I had someone to speak to they could possibly help. My wife [carer]
obviously needs to be party to this as well.

Finally, relative to my queries, what exactly does this drug Metformin do to my body. To date I have noticed no gain. Is there a point in continuing with what could be construed to be damaging chemicals upon my body.

It may be early days as far as my local surgery is concerned but after a year and six weeks I would expect to be getting far better Counselling so any help would be appreciated.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you are in this situation. This place really is the best place for information and support. First, read around the forum and ask lots of questions.

We can advise on how to use your meter properly.

I went on a keto diet, that might be too strict for you.

Metformin works in the background, ask for the slow release version in case of tummy problems.

Edited to add, no need to feel isolated, you and your wife have just found many new friends.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my gosh, they really dropped the ball! Just forgetting someone for a year! I've read a lot of practice misery here, but for now this might well take the cake.

That said: My mom is not diabetic, but severely overweight due to steroid use. Movement was severely limited and her COPD had her wheezing all day. Once she caught on a little about the low carb diet I was following, she's tried it a bit herself. She lost some weight, can actually keep up when walking without getting so out of breath her brain's getting too little oxygen, which used to be an issue... So I am wondering what dietary advice is conflicting with your COPD, because COPD and T2, as well as for weight loss, you'd benefit greatly from a low carb diet. The 8 week blood sugar diet's a nice start, but you have to stick with a permanent lifestyle change to maintain any success gained over the course of that diet. For the long term, Low Carb/High Fat would serve you well. In any case, I think you'll be very interested in Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code.

As for testing: Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. You don't want to see a rise of more than 2.0 mmol/l. If it's more that meal was too carby. And practically all carbs urn to glucose once ingested. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ will help both you and your wife get started with the groceries, if you like.

Good luck!
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The I had an appointment a Doctor on other matters, and then with the Diabetes Nurse I was directed to; both told me the same, I had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes over 12 months ago. The Diabetes Nurse I was directed to also told me that the appointment with her was my Annual Review. Fortunately my wife [carer] was with me on all meetings with Doctors or nurses to advise we had never been informed.
The Doctor prescribed metformin and asked for an appointment to be made in 6 weeks.

Just to paint a background picture: my wife + carer is 67 & is struggling health-wise at the moment: I have heavily onset COPD, blood-flow challenges in my legs and restricted mobility. Being on oxygen almost 24/7 is very restrictive. Alongside all of the above I am seriously overweight.

Hearing of the type 2 diabetes at the age of 71 with my background challenges was a big shock. I found out with my conditions mentioned above it was no surprise. Not much help now of course.

I was fortunate to be able to attend a meeting arranged for those suffering from diabetes within 10 days of being diagnosed. Whilst being informative it was obviously designed for a sizeable group of all types of diabetes. One of the speakers did advise the book "the 8-week blood sugar diet". I have found this to date to be the most informative of all detail so far supplied.

The book gives a lot of answers. With it being generalised there is much information i still need to know. Exercising is so important but my restrictive breathing and general tiredness is getting in the way, I do see me at least improving in this area over time.

What do I do about measurements. The book [and no doctor or nurse] suggested the finger prick blood test could be useful. i was hoping to get advice when I attended a meeting or doctor follow-up but these to be particularly evasive.
Maybe someone could help? I have taken readings at 9:30 over the last five mornings with the following results:~ 11.1 * 9.0 * 14.3 * 9.7 * 14.8
I don't know if I should take follow up tests or what to do at all. Several readings seem particularly high.

Another area where I am in limbo is with my diet. There are conflicts with my COPD but none the less have had a dramatic turnaround in what I am eating and certainly noticed the cost difference. My weight is exactly the same as it was 5 weeks ago. Obviously if I had someone to speak to they could possibly help. My wife [carer]
obviously needs to be party to this as well.

Finally, relative to my queries, what exactly does this drug Metformin do to my body. To date I have noticed no gain. Is there a point in continuing with what could be construed to be damaging chemicals upon my body.

It may be early days as far as my local surgery is concerned but after a year and six weeks I would expect to be getting far better Counselling so any help would be appreciated.
PS: I forgot about the metformin. Most of the sugar spikes you'll see ina day are due to what you eat. Metformin doesn't do anything about that. The other reason bloodsugars can go up is a glucose dump from your liver. It usually happens in the morning, and it's called Dawn Phenomenon, but it also happens when you're ill or stressed, or had a bad night's sleep, for instance. The metformin reduces the liver dumps by about 75%. So that's nice and all, but since that's just one dump in the morning, and the rest are spikes due to foods.... Don't rely on it to fix the T2. (I got very ill in the stuff. That's why i searched for alternatives, and found LCHF).

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The book gives a lot of answers. With it being generalised there is much information i still need to know.
Maybe have a look at Jenny Ruhl's site for lots of free info: https://www.bloodsugar101.com
I really like her books too. Perhaps the most accessible is: "Your Diabetes Questions Answered". I find her a sane and kindly voice, a trustworthy guide in all the confusion of diabetes:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Diabetes-Questions-Answered-Practical-ebook/dp/B071YW7LVW/ref=sr_1_6?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=0&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=0&__mk_en_GB=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1571679043&refinements=p_27:jenny+ruhl&s=books&sr=1-6&unfiltered=1

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what exactly does this drug Metformin do to my body
Again. JR offers a detailed response to this question: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/metformin
Quite a lot of people here have had bad experiences with digestive upsets when they took Metformin. Personally, I gradually worked up to taking the maximum dose and have had no problems whatsoever. Since even following a really strict VLC (very low carb) diet, with exercise, has not been enough to lower my bg to truly normal levels, I am keen to go on taking Metformin. Even if it only helps a little, to me that little is well worth having.

BTW when I found out I don't cope well with carbs, 2 years ago at age 75 I began turning my low fat high carb Mediterranean style diet on its head. It was a big shock, and I'd rather have stayed in my old ways, but at the same time I was amazed how easy it was to change radically the food habits of a lifetime at that advanced age. And how enjoyable I find my new food choices!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Typical NHS. I can't comment on the presence of any other health condition but for just diabetes you need to go low-carb and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full plus veg and non-tropical fruit. Metformin doesn't do a lot but is a very safe drug and does reduce the background glucose output from the liver.

Reactions: ziggy_w