Whole grain bread and apple setback - help!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks for sharing! 130 grams sound quite high still. I think my one slice of bread and one apple add to about 40 grams for lunch which was clearly too much. Maybe I am more insulin resistant and need to aim for less. I can start with 20grams per meal to see how that goes.
Hi Skinny43,
There are no hard and fast rules for Low Carb or even for Keto.
In the case of Low Carb, beware of all fruit , all grains and all starches. But we are all different, some can eat an apple or a potato or a carrot etc. but others can't. It isn't just the quantity of Carbs, but individual food types that vary in effect from person to person.
Low Carb could be anything from around 120gms per day, right down to about 20gms per day.
You need to use your BG Meter in order to determine what and how much you can tolerate , and how low you wish to go.

Keto can be as high as 50gms carbs all the way down to 0 gms. Again, use of Keto testing strips will tell you how low you need to go to be in Ketosis.

Reactions: Skinny43

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Whatever you choose to do, think of it as a lifestyle rather than a diet- because you need to be able to eat in a healthy (for you), sustainable (for you) way for the rest of your life!

Personally I went to a Low Carb, Higher Fat 'Way of Eating' i.e with no initial Calorie reduction, swapping carbs for extra Animal sourced fats.
In this way I was able to get my body 'fat adapted' so that it could use its own internal Fat store for energy and thus be able to reduce overall Calories by skipping some meals (= Intermittent Fasting) without suffering either 'Keto Flu', or hunger.

Reactions: jjraak and Skinny43

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Skinny43
It is very difficult to say how many carbs per day are fine for you. (I eat about 40g)
I recommend that you look at individual meals/foods (which you are doing) and measure what impact they have on your blood sugar. For me I would feel that a reading of 9 two hours after a meal was far too high so I would have to change the food I was eating. I try to keep my post meal numbers to below 7 and preferably closer to 6 than 7. However different people have different levels they aim for.

WHen I started, I didn't aim for 40g of carb per day, it was what I ended up with when I was monitoring the impact of what I ate on my post meal readings

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that some time ago all thought and experimentation was knocked out of the 'what we know about feeding Humans' and the 'facts' were put on rails to stop any sort of free thinking diverting it.
The amount of carbs for an individual Human is very much an individual thing - I eat under 40 gm of carbs a day, and that takes me down to the very top edge of normal - but I eat those carbs in the form of fresh veges and salad stuff.
I experimented recently with a bread roll - with seed in 'good' bread according to the accepted wisdom - two hours later I had BG over 10mmol/l, even though the roll was 30 gm of carbs and was eaten as part of a meal - no other carbs,and on a normal day I would be around 7mmol/l - so carbs do not impact equally.
I ate low carb Atkins style for as long as I could get away with it from about the age of 20, as it was the only diet which controlled my weight and made me feel alive. I was very active and athletic as a young adult - I could swing by my hands across the horizontal ladder in the playground in the park, and did it twice a day when walking between home and work. The standard diet advice, low fat, low calorie, lots of carbs gradually converted me into an aged woman who was almost spherical. It took decades and a lot of being shouted at, but the advice given was just plain wrong.

Reactions: Skinny43

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Livlife bread is delicious... maybe a bit too much. My whole family eats it now. I can tolerate one slice occasionally but usually regret it. Everyone is different and only experimenting will let you know what YOU can tolerate. An apple alone would send me above 9. Tomatoes can too if I’m not careful but I had a higher starting point of 112! It’s a long but incredibly interesting learning curve. Good luck

D

Deleted member 308541

Any idea of what bread I could have?
If you lived in Australia, you could eat Herman Brot low carb bread.

ODWe0wK.png

rWrvyIF.png

Skinny43

It isn't just the quantity of Carbs, but individual food types that vary in effect from person to person.
Low Carb could be anything from around 120gms per day, right down to about 20gms per day.
You need to use your BG Meter in order to determine what and how much you can tolerate , and how low you wish to go.

Thank you. I’ve been wondering whether food types matter apart from carbs amount. I seem to be able to tolerate some carbs better than others. Yes only my BG meter can tell me how much carb is right for me. Just wanted some examples. When my new lancelets arrive I can get testing!

Skinny43

I'm afraid that some time ago all thought and experimentation was knocked out of the 'what we know about feeding Humans' and the 'facts' were put on rails to stop any sort of free thinking diverting it.
The amount of carbs for an individual Human is very much an individual thing - I eat under 40 gm of carbs a day, and that takes me down to the very top edge of normal - but I eat those carbs in the form of fresh veges and salad stuff.
I experimented recently with a bread roll - with seed in 'good' bread according to the accepted wisdom - two hours later I had BG over 10mmol/l, even though the roll was 30 gm of carbs and was eaten as part of a meal - no other carbs,and on a normal day I would be around 7mmol/l - so carbs do not impact equally.
I ate low carb Atkins style for as long as I could get away with it from about the age of 20, as it was the only diet which controlled my weight and made me feel alive. I was very active and athletic as a young adult - I could swing by my hands across the horizontal ladder in the playground in the park, and did it twice a day when walking between home and work. The standard diet advice, low fat, low calorie, lots of carbs gradually converted me into an aged woman who was almost spherical. It took decades and a lot of being shouted at, but the advice given was just plain wrong.
Wow it’s shocking how much difference the type of carb makes not just the amount. I have a lot to experiment on and learn from.
Yes these days often the standard or ‘expert’ advice can be so wrong. They change all the time too which makes it dubious anyway.

Skinny43

Livlife bread is delicious... maybe a bit too much. My whole family eats it now. I can tolerate one slice occasionally but usually regret it. Everyone is different and only experimenting will let you know what YOU can tolerate. An apple alone would send me above 9. Tomatoes can too if I’m not careful but I had a higher starting point of 112! It’s a long but incredibly interesting learning curve. Good luck

Yes it certainly interesting learning all these about food and about our own bodies. I thought tomato’s were safe as that was only ‘fruit I could have when I had gestational diabetes. Well they were hopefully are still safe for me. I’ll have a look at Livlife bread. Thank you!

Reactions: Flora123

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I could have bread. Sometimes I crave toast with lashings of butter but I would pay for it later with high BG. It is a matter of finding out what you can tolerate. We are all different.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
hello Skinny43
Portion size matters almost as much as type of food. A thick slice of bread and a large apple would give you a higher BG reading than a more moderate amount.

Have you got the Carb and Calorie Counter book?
Has photographs of foods on plates showing clearly the portion size and cal/carb content.

Also available as an app.
I found it really useful.
If your apple was 85g, would have 9g carbs
170g Apple is 19g carbs.

Have just weighed apples from my fruit bowl. 166g, 175g and a whopping 205g.
Good thing I like to share.
Best wishes Liz

Skinny43

hello Skinny43
Portion size matters almost as much as type of food. A thick slice of bread and a large apple would give you a higher BG reading than a more moderate amount.

Have you got the Carb and Calorie Counter book?
Has photographs of foods on plates showing clearly the portion size and cal/carb content.

Also available as an app.
I found it really useful.
If your apple was 85g, would have 9g carbs
170g Apple is 19g carbs.

Have just weighed apples from my fruit bowl. 166g, 175g and a whopping 205g.
Good thing I like to share.
Best wishes Liz

Ha! My apple is 198grams that’s 20g carbs on its own - no wonder the high spike!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is unkind! :arghh: ! I used to be able to get a similar. polish bread in Asda but it has disappeared and I can't find it anywhere .How much do you think it would cost to ship a batch to Lancashire ???
Carol

D

Deleted member 308541

This is unkind! :arghh: ! I used to be able to get a similar. polish bread in Asda but it has disappeared and I can't find it anywhere .How much do you think it would cost to ship a batch to Lancashire ???
Carol
It would be cheaper for you to move here to live...