I got drastically different readings on the glucose meter !

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys
I measured my blood sugar about 45 minutes after eating a heavy dinner using my mom's glucose meter (I am not diabetic, or this is what i think!). On the first reading i got 1.27 g/l. Right after that i tested again and i got 1.37. I immediately tested again and got 1.47, i checked again and got 2.0 g/l, i checked right again and got 1.65. On the sixth test i got 2.17!! there was barley 5 seconds between each.
Does any body have an explanation for that?!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the U.K. we use mmol/L as a measurement for blood sugar and in the USA they use mg/dL, so I don’t recognise your units of g/l. However points to check for accuracy are to have freshly washed and dried hands, check expiry dates on the pot of strips, check that the pot is freshly opened (it’ll say on the pot how soon after opening they must be used by) and make sure the battery in the meter isn’t running low.

Edit to add, sorry just noticed this is your first post here so welcome!

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In the U.K. we use mmol/L as a measurement for blood sugar and in the USA they use mg/dL, so I don’t recognise your units of g/l. However points to check for accuracy are to have freshly washed and dried hands, check expiry dates on the pot of strips, check that the pot is freshly opened (it’ll say on the pot how soon after opening they must be used by) and make sure the battery in the meter isn’t running low.

Edit to add, sorry just noticed this is your first post here so welcome!
Thanks bro

Reactions: therower

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add to what @Rachox said, all meters have a margin of error of roughly +/- 15%, so even testing twice from the same drop of blood may yield different results.

I’m assuming that the units you specify can simply be multiplied by 100 to give mg/dl, then divide by 18 to get mmol. So your readings would be 127, 137, 147, 200 and 165 in mg/dl in mmol that translates to 7.1, 7.6, 8.2, 11.1 and 9.2

The first 3 are really not significantly different.

To really understand their significance you’d need to know the readings 2 hours before you ate and 2 hours after.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why did you decide to check your BS? Was it out of curiosity? Or do you have symptoms that are concerning you ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We cannot diagnose here on the forum, but urge you to see you Dr if you are worried about your health.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
"normal" people will spike after eating. And while they usually stay within a certain range it can be higher sometimes depending what they ate. Usually an hour after you eat is not the best timing. Most "normal" people return to normal numbers by 2 hours after you eat. The hour after is harder to judge although I suppose if it goes constantly above normal ranges that would show a problem. The best way to know what your blood sugars are doing is to test when you first get up (a fasting test) before you eat and then 2 hours after you eat for a few days in a row to see if there are patterns.

If you don't have a meter to use like that, it's one of the best investments you could make. Especially if your mom has an issue, these things have a tendency to run in families.

And of course if you think something is going on, seeing your doctor so they can run blood work.

Last edited:

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I was recently forced to upgrade my China made glucometer to a newer version because the factory stopped producing the strips for the older version. The new version needed a much bigger drop of blood because the strip's inlet is much bigger than the older version. If not it will give an error message. The advantage is that it is much more accurate than the older version. And the older version is already accurate enough though.