meds too big for me to swallow

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need some advice. I have now been prescribed metformin SR. The tablets are too huge for me to swallow, and I cant cut them up. Any ideas on what I can do about this please? They are chalky, even though they are coated for the sustained release.

I am in the UK

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I need some advice. I have now been prescribed metformin SR. The tablets are too huge for me to swallow, and I cant cut them up. Any ideas on what I can do about this please? They are chalky, even though they are coated for the sustained release.

I am in the UK
Sorry LL I don't know what they look like so I'd like to ask why you cannot cut them. Are they capsules with a powder inside?

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they are slow release then cutting them wouldn't advisable?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take two at a time with lots of water and no problems. It did take a while to pluck up courage though. In the evening I have to take 8 tablets all that size, it was just taking too long.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am in the UK

I take the same tablets, I usually put them in my mouth and drink some water but I hold water in for 3 sec and then swallow. It works for me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lucylocket61 - I've never taken Metformin, but if the tablets are about the same size as Aciclovir I had when I had shingles a few months ago, you have my sympathy. Those were ginagerous, and 5 times a day - not impressed!

To be honest, on times when I was sure, for whatever reason, they weren't going to go down well, I took a spoonful of yoghurt (or cream, if you prefer) and took them that way. That seemed to make them slippery enough.

If all fails, Lucy, there is a liquid option, although the medics try to avoid prescribing that as it is quite a bi more costly than he more usual tablets. https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/metformin-hydrochloride.html#PHP76123

I hope that helps.

How are you doing this morning?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Many decades ago I had to take some huge, horrible, vile tasting anti-malaria tablets. I worked out that I could take them by, first, half eating a caramel, spitting it out and wrapping the tablet in it, then taking the tablet. While caramels aren't the best suggestion round here these days, could you coat them in something suitable. Bit of experimentation, a good smear of butter, perhaps?
Sally

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am in the UK
I don't have any experience of Metformin but I believe it is available in various doses. Maybe you could take 2 tablets with half the dose?

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any experience of Metformin but I believe it is available in various doses. Maybe you could take 2 tablets with half the dose?
This. If not being able to swallow larger sized tabs is a somewhat more recent occurence I'd also highly recommend having a doc take a look at your esophagus.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes it is a bit of a psychological block. Especially if there is no problem swallowing food. You don’t like the idea of meds, so your unconscious mind is telling you not to swallow them. I have seen the same with my mum, and have experienced it myself. Need to relax, make sure I am well hydrated, then swallow with some acceptable food. For mum it was jelly and custard. I used yogurt, cream, butter, or sugar free jelly.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am in the UK

Hi Lucylocket, I think metformin can be administered in liquid form these days? Would it be worth asking for that. My Mum had a real problem trying to swallow a tablet that was the size of an old penny(!), when we told them she nearly choked on it they were happy to change to liquid. x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely right not to cut them up.
Slow release tablets usually have coatings on them which helps with the slow release part. cutting them open => fast release.

When I get daunted by tablets, I try and remember that tablets are smaller than a mouthful of food - and those go down the hatch ok! ;)

The last time I had enormous horse pills (antibiotics) I ended up taking them with food. Literally in a mouthful of chewed food. Worked like a charm.

Reactions: Energize

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.

I am in the UK
Hi lucylocket61. I've been taking the same tablets for ages. Then a while ago the chemist gave me a different brand and they were HUGE! ( More like suppositories!) As they were slow release you are advised to swallow them whole. I went back to the pharmacy and they put a note on their computer saying that in future always give me the smaller version. May be worth you trying this? :)

D

Deleted member 308541

When I took Metformin (both sorts), I used to put the tablet lengthwise towards the back of my tongue and down them with a big swallow of water.

You do not cut tablets in half if they do not have a crimp in them, especially slow release ones.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried taking them with a spoonful of yoghurt or something of about that consistence? I found that's a lot easier than with water.

Reactions: ert

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree, yoghurt can be an easier way. Also agree it’s often more the fear than the size actually being too big to swallow safely. I took sr met and I found having a big glass water useful, had to sometimes keep gulping water. But I wouldn’t cut them as the coating is the slow release form I believe.
I now take tiny pills and its just as bad, as can’t tell if swallowed or stuck somewhere by a tooth or gum hehe. So at least you know they’ve gone!
Might just need some time, patience, and calmness to get used to them, best of luck.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe ask the pharmacist if there’s another sr brand? Whether it’s smaller?
Don’t think would come in liquid form as that would be fast release I’m guessing!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe ask the pharmacist if there’s another sr brand? Whether it’s smaller?
Don’t think would come in liquid form as that would be fast release I’m guessing!
I am going to try that tomorrow.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to try that tomorrow.
Good luck definitely worth a try! As I took SR met for a while, then opened my box at home after picking up from pharmacy and was a different brand. Thought nothing of it, but did make a difference so went back and pharmacist said to always have exact same brand need to state that on the prescription. I assumed if taking something and it’s working would always get the same brand of med...apparently not. Now I open my prescription packets in the pharmacy to check it’s all right! Hehe!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been taking SR for 15 years or so with no problems but they are big. The brands do vary a bit so check with the pharmacy.