Underweight & Need Dietary Suggestions

Emilyxx

Hi, I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes 2 years ago. It runs in my family but no one is overweight. My main issue is gaining weight without consuming anything that’s bad for me. Basically, I’ve been trying to find a list of specific foods I can eat that will help me gain fat but not contain anything that leads to diabetes and it’s seeming to be increasingly difficult ): I’ve done tons of research but haven’t found any sites that list what foods I can eat without stating the obvious which is to avoid saturated fats etc Can anyone help me please?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

Hi, I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes 2 years ago. It runs in my family but no one is overweight.

First question, are you sure you are T2 and not slow onset T1 or MODY?

Otherwise, I take it you've tried upping the fat and protein content while avoiding excess carbs? Also, different people can cope with different amounts of carbs. Have you tested with a meter to see how you respond to different foods?

Finally, what's a typical day's food for you?

haven’t found any sites that list what foods I can eat without stating the obvious which is to avoid saturated fats etc
I think the obvious is to avoid carbs? (Or at least too many).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
First question, are you sure you are T2 and not slow onset T1 or MODY?

OK, I've just taken in that you are posting in the T1 forums. If you're T1 (presumably LADA?) then you're going to become insulin dependent eventually, it's just a matter of time. So though you may be able to prolong the honeymoon period by avoiding carbs it's not really a question of your diet leading to diabetes, you've got the illness.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes 2 years ago. It runs in my family but no one is overweight. My main issue is gaining weight without consuming anything that’s bad for me. Basically, I’ve been trying to find a list of specific foods I can eat that will help me gain fat but not contain anything that leads to diabetes and it’s seeming to be increasingly difficult ): I’ve done tons of research but haven’t found any sites that list what foods I can eat without stating the obvious which is to avoid saturated fats etc Can anyone help me please?
Hi @Emilyxx ,

I have a feeling, with you mentioning borderline diabetes two years back, that you may have been posting in the wrong section of the forum. You're in the T1 bit, not the T2 one. Try this on for size: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ While mainly geared to T2's who are overweight, I'll add this for those who don't have a gram to spare: Don't go for Intermittent Fasting. Have 3 meals a day and possibly 3 snacks as well, all low carb. Keep the fats and protein up and eat regularly.

Good luck!
Jo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Emilyxx can you confirm diabetes type and blood sugar levels if you know them?
High sugars in T1 can lead to weight loss.