HBA1C up from 38 - 54 in 9 months

Millie74

I had gestational diabetes with both my boys now 12/13 years and was on insulin then. I am getting readings above 10 if ever have any carbs. For example if I have a wholemeal pitta, 40g porridge oats, tablespoon of rice. Even greek yoghurt and a few nuts was a 10 and 40g all bran was 13. I’m just having eggs for breakfast now and can get 6-8 with that, but it’s boring. I just want to know really. All the side affects listed for type 2 drugs aren’t great. My figures weren’t much better on the Jardiance. I’m not afraid of insulin as was on it through the two pregnancies 12 years ago now and at least control can be improved. The drugs scare me more. Sounds like insulin works well for you. My only fear with insulin is the hypos.

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was first diagnosed as type 2 seven years ago. Had some success with low carb and intermittent fasting and am physically pretty active (walk 12km/+ 7+ miles each day) but things spiralled out of control in spring this year when pretty much every reading was double digits pretty much no matter what I did. I graduated up to 4 Metformin a day and then started Glimeperide, fully expecting good results as I had responded very well to Metformin initially, but it was almost immediately clear the Glimeperide was doing absolutely nothing and my average reading moved into the 16-20 range by May/June. More beating self up and embarrassment that I was questioning and pushing my GP for more attention, but I knew things weren't right....and sure enough further tests subsequently showed I was type 1.5 or LADA not T2. I started insulin in July and feel so much better! Currently on basal insulin only, but have come to accept that I will need to add bolus in to get tighter control

I have had some brilliantly supportive help from other members on this forum. While there aren't a huge number of postings on the LADA forum, there is a bit of a pattern of people of people with a background of T2 suddenly losing control despite best efforts on the diet/exercise front and subsequently ending up with a T1/1.5/LADA diagnosis. If you have time it is worth looking at some of the back catalogue on this forum, bearing in mind that we are all individual.

Good luck xx

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Grannypat

Millie74

Hi. I just got my result off a receptionist. I asked her to read it out. She said GLUT acid decarboxylaseab level- action refer to endocrinologist. Positive antibodies associated with type 1. She said can’t book a dr phone call. until 6 Dec. It’s only that I pushed for this test after diagnosis 6 Jan that I know. Been low carbing all year, not getting results I want.

Reactions: DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All the side affects listed for type 2 drugs aren’t great
I totally agree, with the exception of Metformin.
Quote: "I’m not afraid of insulin".
Again, I totally agree. I suspect that many people are prescribed dodgy diabetes drugs because Drs know that so many are phobic about insulin injections and much prefer pills. Not me! I also agree that possible hypos are a worry. Roll on 6th December and good luck! If you want ammunition to support your refusing diabetes drugs, you can find it here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/medications-and-supplements

Millie74

I totally agree, with the exception of Metformin.
Quote: "I’m not afraid of insulin".
Again, I totally agree. I suspect that many people are prescribed dodgy diabetes drugs because Drs know that so many are phobic about insulin injections and much prefer pills. Not me! I also agree that possible hypos are a worry. Roll on 6th December and good luck! If you want ammunition to support your refusing diabetes drugs, you can find it here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/medications-and-supplements
Thanks. I’m happy to take metformin. Didn’t like taking Jardiance (SGLT2). The dr on 6 Dec will just explain why he referred me to endocrinologist. I am guessing it is because GAD test was positive. If I need anything would prefer insulin to additional drugs. Low carb helps to some extent. Helps a lot at lunch and dinner. Not sure what they’ll say to be now. Guessing not type 2. Have tried really hard since Jan hba1c from 96 to 52. Then 56. Not perfect, but guessing this is because GAD positive? Only got tested as bypassed the nurse and asked GP for it.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
that was my thought but I have a resistant GP who has no interest in that approach - wants only to review again in the New Year
How are things going? INSIST on seeing an endocrinologist urgently. My old GP was similar and then I collapsed and ended up in hospital. Desperately needed insulin as LADA. drugs (Metformin SR) just didn't work for me. I also changed doctors especially after the hospital reported them for lack of care and not following procedure for a T1 LADA. However nice the GP is don't put your health at risk.

Millie74

How are things going? INSIST on seeing an endocrinologist urgently. My old GP was similar and then I collapsed and ended up in hospital. Desperately needed insulin as LADA. drugs (Metformin SR) just didn't work for me. I also changed doctors especially after the hospital reported them for lack of care and not following procedure for a T1 LADA. However nice the GP is don't put your health at risk.

Millie74

Hi. I haven’t even spoken to the GP that referred me. The receptionist booked me in for earliest telephone consultation she said she could give me with him next Friday 6 December. Haven’t told the diabetic nurse about it. I am just assuming have been referred as the recertifications read out GAD test positive and action to refer to endocrinologist. He did say he would refer me straight away if results indicated LADA. My hba1c in August was 56mmol. Hoping it’s not an emergency. What do you think will happen? Does it mean I have LADA if the GAD test was positive? The c peptide one was normal. I’ve run out of test strips. Do you think I can get them on prescription now? Maybe I need to pop in tomorrow and tell receptionist again how concerned I am. Not sure when referral was made and how long it will take. It’s a worry my bs still not at target a year later. Already have background retinopathy.

Thanks for asking. Spent so long researching low carb and weight loss. This is a whole new area of research. My BMI only 25. Do loads of exercise as teach dance and am 44 years old. It all worries me! Had gestational diabetes 12 years ago. Have been on insulin during pregnancies all those years ago.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
**sigh** ring the surgery and tell them that a positive result is a risk of type 1 diabetes which requires an immediate call back. If they protest then as if you should go to A&E because you might be at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. If your c peptide result was ok then it's unlikely you are high risk right now but this triage by reception is not acceptable.

Reactions: Millie74

Millie74

**sigh** ring the surgery and tell them that a positive result is a risk of type 1 diabetes which requires an immediate call back. If they protest then as if you should go to A&E because you might be at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. If your c peptide result was ok then it's unlikely you are high risk right now but this triage by reception is not acceptable.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok. Thank you for the advice. I will pop in tomorrow and try again.
Definitely get test strips on perscription tomorrow so you can test a few times a day and see what's going on, and you should now get a medical exemption card via a form you complete from your GP which means all perscriptions will be free. Ask tomorrow to complete the form as it takes a few weeks to arrive. If I were you I would phone your diabetes nurse you see, the doctor might not have shared the results, and they will understand that you need to see someone as you may need insulin. Hopefully they can prescribe for you as well.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi. I haven’t even spoken to the GP that referred me. The receptionist booked me in for earliest telephone consultation she said she could give me with him next Friday 6 December. Haven’t told the diabetic nurse about it. I am just assuming have been referred as the recertifications read out GAD test positive and action to refer to endocrinologist. He did say he would refer me straight away if results indicated LADA. My hba1c in August was 56mmol. Hoping it’s not an emergency. What do you think will happen? Does it mean I have LADA if the GAD test was positive? The c peptide one was normal. I’ve run out of test strips. Do you think I can get them on prescription now? Maybe I need to pop in tomorrow and tell receptionist again how concerned I am. Not sure when referral was made and how long it will take. It’s a worry my bs still not at target a year later. Already have background retinopathy.

Thanks for asking. Spent so long researching low carb and weight loss. This is a whole new area of research. My BMI only 25. Do loads of exercise as teach dance and am 44 years old. It all worries me! Had gestational diabetes 12 years ago. Have been on insulin during pregnancies all those years ago.
As your c-peptide came back normal, they aren't giving you an emergency appointment. If your blood sugars stay above 13 mmol/l and you have ketones above 3 mmol/l then you can just walk into A&E. This is what happened to me (though my c-peptide was recorded as trace at 0.068 mg/mL - I was no longer producing any insulin.)

Millie74

As your c-peptide came back normal, they aren't giving you an emergency appointment. If your blood sugars stay above 13 mmol/l and you have ketones above 3 mmol/l then you can just walk into A&E. This is what happened to me (though my c-peptide was recorded as trace at 0.068 mg/mL - I was no longer producing any insulin.)

Millie74

Thanks. I spoke to the doctor today. He said my GAD test was highly positive. 1700. He said normal is under 10? Doesn’t sound great, but don’t know what that means. He said he thinks therefore I am LADA and has made referral on NHS to endocrinologist. Could be 6 weeks. Pain. As could be after Christmas. He agreed to give me free test strips now on prescription and lancets. Told him I was a bit worried only taking metformin. He said get an up to date hba1c next week. Last two were in 50s. I am pretty much zero carbing. Under 20g so could be in 50s again. Don’t know though. Should I get a urine test? He didn’t say anything about c peptide.

Millie74

Thanks for this advice. Sounds like you had a nightmare. How are you now? I have had 13 after breakfast before. If reading are 7/8 lunch and dinner is that ok? Is it only if it stays at 13?