Yet another hospital food horror story

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
You can't get to the hospital cafeteria?

I can usually get a hot roast meal there, along with cheese and other low carb options.

Good luck getting home today.

Can't get there myself but I suppose could send my OH during visiting hours. Will do that if not home today.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I suppose it won't do me much harm having an extended fast but not ideal when under the weather.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Can't get there myself but I suppose could send my OH during visiting hours. Will do that if not home today.

Yeah, that's what I would do. Beats eating ****, which could make you feel even worse. I hope you get better soon.

Reactions: Concordjan

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not a horror story. A type 2 having to eat a few carbs for a meal or two, or getting food from other sources is not a horror story.

The way some type 1 diabetics are treated in hospital is, however, horrific and life threatening.

We type 2 know what to expect in hospital with food choices. And the canteen choices. For planned stays we can work out a plan. Even unplanned stays usually involve visitors who can be asked to bring food once we know what is going on.

Just like we do on holidays etc. We plan.

Until low carbing is added as a recognised diet for health, the onus is on us to take the initiative.

Considering how many hcp's don't even seem to know how to treat different types of diabetes, I wouldn't rely on any changes to dietary policies anyway.

Reactions: jjraak and Redshank

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If it is only a day or two would it really do any harm to have some carbs?
I agree with you but if you said to a vegan just a few days eating meat would not do you any harm they would most definitely disagree but then their dietary choices are catered for.

The same with Kosher and Halal.

It's about choice and being denied it.

Paulm80

To be fair after a recent stint in hospital I thought the options were pretty good, easy enough to stay low carb, omelette , full fat yoghurt, salad, veg etc....
Despite that the foods horrible and it all smells the same horrible hospital smell, so I’d rather go hungry anyway

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you but if you said to a vegan just a few days eating meat would not do you any harm they would most definitely disagree but then their dietary choices are catered for.

The same with Kosher and Halal.

It's about choice and being denied it.
I don't think that is really the same. Not eating vegan, Kosher or Halal is an ethical thing and even a small digression is serious to the believers. Having to eat a bit more carbs for a short time is a temporary inconvenience. There is also the fact that low carb is very vague, whereas the above diets have simple rules. Some would be happy if they can keep below 130g a day, some would expect steak or raw liver on the menu every day. Labelling items with their carb content seems more practical and would be very useful for those on Insulin.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that is really the same. Not eating vegan, Kosher or Halal is an ethical thing and even a small digression is serious to the believers. Having to eat a bit more carbs for a short time is a temporary inconvenience. There is also the fact that low carb is very vague, whereas the above diets have simple rules. Some would be happy if they can keep below 130g a day, some would expect steak or raw liver on the menu every day. Labelling items with their carb content seems more practical and would be very useful for those on Insulin.

So their "beliefs" and ethics about what they should be eating are catered for yet people eating a specific way to improve their health should not be catered for ...... in a hospital.
Hmmm interesting perspective...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Except both with kosher and halal exceptions are allowed for health needs or requirements and in times of necessity.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carb is going more mainstream so I would expect the 'diabetic' option to cater for this in a rational world where x % of hospital admissions (20 I think but I stand to be corrected). In the meantime the focus should be on fresh food with carb options to cater for the majority and to best fit the skimpy budget; as well as the diabs there has to be plenty of people who need the stodge because they are frail and elderly.
Until then most of us are fortunate enough to a) fast b) get stuff brought in c) Visit the in hospital M & S to stock up on low carb goodies bearing in mind that we won't be moving much and therefore don't need to much re fuelling.
I am type 1 and can eat carbs without it causing me either a crisis of conscience or long term ill health.

Reactions: lucylocket61

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think saying to a T2 diabetic in a hospital go on you can eat carbs for a few days it won't hurt is as wrong as when my non diabetic friends when offering me a cake or something similar say go on just one won't hurt you I know it will and say no in the hospital you don't get that choice and I have spent at odd times weeks and even months in hospital not just a couple of days.

Reactions: AloeSvea

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think saying to a T2 diabetic in a hospital go on you can eat carbs for a few days it won't hurt is as wrong as when my non diabetic friends when offering me a cake or something similar say go on just one won't hurt you I know it will and say no in the hospital you don't get that choice and I have spent at odd times weeks and even months in hospital not just a couple of days.
I agree if you're in for a long haul but I also say no to cake/carbs on a regular basis and make other arrangements or regard a deviation as a mini experiment that won't be fatal.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So their "beliefs" and ethics about what they should be eating are catered for yet people eating a specific way to improve their health should not be catered for ...... in a hospital.
Hmmm interesting perspective...
Eating a sandwich or two in hospital is not going to make the slightest difference to your health.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Eating a sandwich or two in hospital is not going to make the slightest difference to your health.
I beg to differ my health is my concern and I will decide what I consider as good or bad for it bye the way my last long stint in hospital was about 8 weeks

And as I said It's about choice why should I be denied choice when others aren't. .

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Back home now, had quite a decent cheese salad for lunch, just left the potato salad. After low carbing for three and half years it goes against the grain to eat something carby. Might have done if particularly tempting. Lunch and dinner were ok, just breakfast when I couldn’t eat anything.
Now I have to rely on hubby’s ‘cooking’ for a few days, which could be worse than hospital!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patients should get a choice from a varied menu - including meals suitable for religious needs according to the health minister.

So it might work if you state you can not eat carbohydrates due to them being prohibited by your religious beliefs.

State your religion as the church of the low carbers or some such.

Deuteronomy 12:20
“When the Lord your God enlarges your territory, as he has promised you, and you say, ‘I will eat meat,’ because you crave meat, you may eat meat whenever you desire.”

Mmh so the Church of Lokarbi (making us LoKarbinarians..has a certain ring to it..:D )
Pray once or twice a day at the alter of FRI-JARI & CUU-KA
and in a reversal of lent, we GIVE UP a lot for 50 weeks a year
and TAKE UP, certain things for 14 days and nights..(summer hols..;))

I'm IN....Where do i sign up :happy:

While i do agree that the costs, blah, blah, balh..are important.

I do remembers reading several newspaper articles that T2 is THE Tsunami overwhelming the NHS,
and part of that WAS hospital admissions.

add in Diabetic complications are one of the leading causes of death over all.

Whilst i agree we should cater to the General Populations beliefs, dietary restrictions through choice OR necessity.

IF i ran a club where a lot of members where of a particular SET
young or old perhaps, it might be thought sensible to respond and lay out options that would appeal to THAT large-ish core of customers.

So, Games and consoles for the youngers might not be so welcome for those of an older age.

Will it change..doubt it.
As said too costly, and the point about doing that...is it COULD seem like an admission of defeat after all the years,
was not something i had thought of, but does make sense to me, sadly...Reps before Deaths.:rolleyes:

Might just get myself one of those survivalist Bug Out bags,
and keep an ongoing re-fill in the fridge of a few EMERGENCY Rations:
a few packets of Biltong, Pepparami, Pork Scratching, Baby bels etc...for the misses to bring up if ever i'm ever rushed in...:bag:;)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back home now, had quite a decent cheese salad for lunch, just left the potato salad. After low carbing for three and half years it goes against the grain to eat something carby. Might have done if particularly tempting. Lunch and dinner were ok, just breakfast when I couldn’t eat anything.
Now I have to rely on hubby’s ‘cooking’ for a few days, which could be worse than hospital!

Nice to hear your back home..:)
A 'like' for That...
But gave a FUNNY for the husband quip.
nice to see a sense of humour helping us through.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Concordjan

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I think the NHS should be much stronger on the differing dietary needs of people with various long-term conditions and providing good quality food to meet those needs - even if it just focused on the main conditions that people go into hospital with - if the NHS can't lead the way then who?
Concordjan - hope the home cooking goes well