Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear you've been unwell @porl69 It's a pain but will pass, unfortunately it means extra work to manage it on top of everything else, but easier when you're using the libre.

I agree with Antje - make sure you've got some carbs on top of your glucose in your tum when you go hypo @MeiChanski it should save you crashing and remember once you go hypo, stronger likelihood of crashing again later on too, so try to run a bit higher.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha, if you're too lazy to look up the amount of carbs in beetroot so you just take a wild guess for bolusing for a big beetroot salad based on the sweetness of the beetroot, you get to eat dessert as well :)
It has surprisingly few carbs for something so sweet. Which I found out when googling it because of a steep drop. Caught it in time and finally got to eat the second half of yesterdays grapefruit :hungry:

Reactions: Japes

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How high can your sugars go when an idiot from work texts to say they are locked in the building at 8.30 at night? I’m finding out... HR will go ballistic.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm lucky I can have one baby beet with my salad without ill effects. It is the carts I cater for.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is clearly diabetes silly season in my work building at the moment! (5 of us in total, me, Young Vampire, and three T2s, one of whom is on insulin.)

Between us we've managed
  • not to bring in a spare cartridge for one meter, (my spare meter came out to play for the rest of that day)
  • not to have spare batteries (Accu-check Expert meters eat them, I reckon, which is why I also have a spare set of those given almost all the T1/insulin dependent students in my place have those meters.)
  • unexplained hypos galore - we've all had to replenish emergency supplies of hypo treatments of choice!
  • an utterly random HI after a 2.9 which I put down to Full Fat Coke being spilled on that particular finger whilst being gulped down at speed. The retest of the retest came out at a more respectable 5.3
  • Rollercoaster numbers for days.
  • Echo pen issues (now solved)
  • not to have any spare snacks at all in my own emergency snack box, (possibly because I needed to hand them out for other failures to replenish supplies) and so I had to raid the vending machine before walking home!
I think I've fared best of all for the last few working days - but I'm also the backstop for all diabetes-related crises in the building. We reckon I can usually solve them without having to call the nurses in plus they know if I do call them, it's really, really necessary and they respond faster to me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It gets stranger and stranger with the beetroots. Google tells me that per 100 grams they have either 4.5 grams of carbs, 11 grams of carbs or 30 grams of carbs (the last one is the package from my beets. Lucky thing I didn't read it!). All of them state the ingredients is beets and perhaps a little water, nothing else.
What's going on here?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I keep getting about 10 carbs per cup or per 136 grams.

I would wonder about those package amounts.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep getting about 10 carbs per cup or per 136 grams.

I would wonder about those package amounts.
I do. Funny, your 10 grams per cup is different from the others too.
I will see if I can find out where I bought todays beetroots to send them a message that a carb count that's so much off the mark can make for dangerous situations for diabetics.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
1 beet 2 inches in diameter 5.10 net carbs
1 cup 9.4 net carbs

another site
1 beet 5.54 net carbs unknown size
1 cup 9.2 net carbs

google
1 cup 136 grams 9.4 carbs

So the winner is?? A little over 9 carbs for a cup and a little over 5 carbs for a beet.

Were there 6 beets in the package? That would equal 30 carbs if 5 carbs per 2 inch beet

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again,

Unfortunately it’s my fault for not following up with slow acting carbs after coke. My manager has increased my hours to almost 40 and as irresponsible as I am, I put my work above my health. Which I’ve explained to my consultant today and he was understanding but emphasised that I need to eat something. Could anyone chomp a few biscuits in 60 seconds without choking? Other than that he was quite happy with my readings.

Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Were there 6 beets in the package? That would equal 30 carbs if 5 carbs per 2 inch beet
Love your calculations!
There were 3 beets in the package, a small one, a medium one and a rather big one. But the package stated the carbs per 100 grams, so something must have gone wrong with their calculations, as both ingredients and my bg said it was much less.
Happy with that, as it clearly showed I can dose for beetroot without problems, whatever the exact carb count may be. I don't tend to weigh my meals anyway; I'm more of a guesser.

Tomorrow I'll try my luck with onion soup :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I always guess a lot too, although I will look at packages for carb count if provided. And then have to guess how much I'm going to eat which can really vary. But that is how you get a cookie!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning and a Happy Wednesday to you all.
Awoke drowsy, BG went from 6.4 last night to 2.4 this morning, headache too and I have work very soon then driver is dropping me off at my hospital for my diabetes eye appointment, I know the cataracts will be top of the list as dr said on last appointment, 'we will talk about them in more detail next time', the right eye is the more severe and I know an operation will be due.
So, better getting my self into gear and get ready, take care :)

Reactions: karen8967

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bad day in the 'diabetes office' yesterday afternoon/evening but self inflicted - under dosed for pasta or more probable ate more than my fair share, before bed correction hardly touched it either, but I didn't rage bolus as there was some alcohol in the mix.....!

@Robinredbreast hope you'll feeling a bit better now, the MIL had one eye done a few weeks ago and having the other done soon, the op wasn't a problem, after care was but that was just her - I'm sure you'll be complete fine.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning and a Happy Wednesday to you all.
Awoke drowsy, BG went from 6.4 last night to 2.4 this morning, headache too and I have work very soon then driver is dropping me off at my hospital for my diabetes eye appointment, I know the cataracts will be top of the list as dr said on last appointment, 'we will talk about them in more detail next time', the right eye is the more severe and I know an operation will be due.
So, better getting my self into gear and get ready, take care :)
goodluck at eye appointment robs x

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
morning everyone hope your day goes well and hugs to all who are poorly x quick question ive noticed for the last couple of days i do my bolus at tea time and by about 2 hours later im going really low ,i had sausage on toast for my tea gave 3 1/2 units of fiasp about an hour later i had a magnum ice cream gave myself 1 unit rather than the 2 1/2 i normally do was going to correct later on as i had iob half an hour later down to 3.6 so had a packet of crisp brought me up to the 6s then dropped again just b4 bed so had a couple of digestives and woke to a 5.8 ,does anyone else have this ?its like insulin is working overtime .also i have been spiking after dinner into the low teens regardless of what im eating although im back in range by the 4 hour mark the mind boggles.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Lots of train travel today. Coasting in the 6s right now.
Pasta is pesky @slip

Reactions: porl69

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@karen8967 Yea, I have it happen off and on usually for a day and the night, I’ll wake up to my alarm going 2 or 3 times in the night. You get sick of hypo treats!