Type 1'stars R Us

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all. Bloods yesterday were poop!! Rage blouse before bed (25u Fiasp) and alarms on load just in case.....stayed in single figures in the night and am 8.2 at the moment. Still feel rubbish thou

Beetroot debate. Carbs and Cals are saying boiled beetroot is 1g carb per 10g beetroot?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again,

Unfortunately it’s my fault for not following up with slow acting carbs after coke. My manager has increased my hours to almost 40 and as irresponsible as I am, I put my work above my health. Which I’ve explained to my consultant today and he was understanding but emphasised that I need to eat something. Could anyone chomp a few biscuits in 60 seconds without choking? Other than that he was quite happy with my readings.

Hi Mei,

Scoffing biscuits on the fly for longer acting carb support could be tricky, I would concur.
Have you tried milk? Try downing fast acting carbs in solid form & following it with the milk.
As opposed to folowing it up after Coke, which may turn the stomach..?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mei,

Scoffing biscuits on the fly for longer acting carb support could be tricky, I would concur.
Have you tried milk? Try downing fast acting carbs in solid form & following it with the milk.
As opposed to folowing it up after Coke, which may turn the stomach..?

Thank you, curdle milk situation right? I’ve nit tried milk, I was thinking about a fibre type meal drinks.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Starbucks ruined my day yesterday, sugar free frappe wasn’t sugar free so my blood sugars shot up to 18.5.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, curdle milk situation right? I’ve nit tried milk, I was thinking about a fibre type meal drinks.

Possibly even those breakfast in a bottle jobs? I'm not familiar with the carb content, but it could do the job.
Just like those bars, but in liquid form..

Lol, milk has always done it for me.. Stops anymore rebound to the ground. Especially at night.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Chocolate milk and coke mixed together actually is really good! It was a treat to have when I was younger along the lines of a root beer float.

I see no reason why you couldn’t drink one right after the other.

@MeiChanski When I was at a seminar once they told us as a type 1 to count about half of the sugar alcohols as carbs. In a "normal" person the sugar alcohols go through the system so fast they don't count as carbs. But in a type 1 we can't seem to always metabolize them either.

But be careful because I believe it was @Kim Possible said she doesn't need insulin for sugar alcohols, which means it is probably different with each of us!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chocolate milk and coke mixed together actually is really good! It was a treat to have when I was younger along the lines of a root beer float.

I see no reason why you couldn’t drink one right after the other.

@MeiChanski When I was at a seminar once they told us as a type 1 to count about half of the sugar alcohols as carbs. In a "normal" person the sugar alcohols go through the system so fast they don't count as carbs. But in a type 1 we can't seem to always metabolize them either.

But be careful because I believe it was @Kim Possible said she doesn't need insulin for sugar alcohols, which means it is probably different with each of us!
I dont need insulin for alcohol get a spike but drop very quickly although i tend to stick to vodka and a mixer these days

Reactions: porl69

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My work Christmas party is next week and as this is my first as a Type 1 diabetic (I haven't drunk since I was diagnosed) I am debating whether to have a few drinks or abstain. Not sure yet, will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: porl69

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@karen8967 I’m not sure if you misunderstood me or if you were talking about alcohol because of a different comment? But sugar alcohols are sweeteners like xylitol.....not related to drinking alcohol at all, they are sugar substitutes that metabolize so fast they don’t spike your blood sugar levels. But some type 1’s can need some insulin for them sometimes. And some like malitol which is the cheapest so most common can metabolize a little slower and hence is more likely to raise BG levels.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My work Christmas party is next week and as this is my first as a Type 1 diabetic (I haven't drunk since I was diagnosed) I am debating whether to have a few drinks or abstain. Not sure yet, will let you know how it goes.

There’s no reason why you can’t but if you haven’t drunk for a while take it easy so combine with water as you may get tipsy quickly and Xmas dos are infamous for scenes of great embarrassment !!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 I’m not sure if you misunderstood me or if you were talking about alcohol because of a different comment? But sugar alcohols are sweeteners like xylitol.....not related to drinking alcohol at all, they are sugar substitutes that metabolize so fast they don’t spike your blood sugar levels. But some type 1’s can need some insulin for them sometimes. And some like malitol which is the cheapest so most common can metabolize a little slower and hence is more likely to raise BG levels.
Trust me i hear the word alcohol and i dont see past that

Reactions: Clivethedrive

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good afternoon all
Not been able to log on untill around 10 mins ago.
Bloods being an a*** again today, started off well then cancelled my temp sick basal and am now in the high 15s again DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good afternoon all
Not been able to log on untill around 10 mins ago.
Bloods being an a*** again today, started off well then cancelled my temp sick basal and am now in the high 15s again DOH!
Yep, site has been acting like bloods today.

Reactions: Japes