stopping keto cured my knee and elbow pain

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was under the impression that this website and its forums were intended to offer support to any and all people with diabetes concerns. Are vegans excluded from this?
This is how the forum should work but sadly we suffer narrow minded bigots who fear alternatives.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks, this thread was started by Jackie with good news about her personal health.
Hopefully she will be back soon with her HbA1c results.

Please lets not degenerate into off topic bickering about ways of eating which are not relevant to Jackie and her situation.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had bloods done but I don't think that test would be in it. But as the problem seems to have resolved apart from my finger knuckles on right hand I am going to see if that improves . The pain seems to have gone and the redness is fading so I will watch and see .
Thanks for the reply :)

If you have gout then a drug called Allopurinol can be used to keep levels of urea under control , Colchicine is also available for acute attacks.

In terms of what the causes of your attacks were you might find that there is some particular ingredient that you have been overconsuming compared to what your body can take. it may well be that an elimination diet helps you find out what - if you do find an increase of hba1c under your new regime. An elimination diet starts usually with red meat then adding back one thing at a time and seeing if you get a flare up.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

Little Bird

Folks, this thread was started by Jackie with good news about her personal health.
Hopefully she will be back soon with her HbA1c results.

Please lets not degenerate into off topic bickering about ways of eating which are not relevant to Jackie and her situation.
Yes you are right of course Brunneria. My apologies to you Jackie for my part in this.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is what is so wrong with one side being able to dominate another with no come back or fact checking. Some of us have spent literally years assessing all options and opinions as we strive for optimum health via the easiest safest route.

Point 13 was rightfully, in my view challenged via a question statement many of us know to be 100% accurate. Why should that point of view be allowed to stand as if a fact, when clearly millions don't have this issue over millennia (not to denigrate the amount who might) and in "our" opinion numbers would be statistically nothing to write home about (for the individual concerned this does not detract from any potential discomfort). I don't know any person who cannot digest meat with side affects (do you, and if you do I bet you cannot name another), and have seen obscure diseases where this is the case only in videos.

I and others jolly well know what types of foods cause inflammation, gut lining issues etc, especially over the last 50 years or so, and should be allowed to test our version of the truth and not be shouted down or policed (unlike point 13).

When persons come on this site and state they have found the cure to diabetes, the response is to immediately ask the journalistic mantra "who", "what", "where", "when" type questions (this will always either provide facts or the contrary); no one says oh let him or her speak for a similar sweeping statement we know to be rubbish. Animal protein is life saving for some of us, so the constant bashing without facts is just not on. Straw-manning legitimate questions of proof on such a sensitive matter is inappropriate and does not help confused newbies who have heard in their lifetime all of the scare stories.

Please remember the context, the traffic is only one way in terms of which of the two groups is trying to impose a position on the other, just in Britain alone within the last 2 weeks a University and Nursery have some meat bans, clearly based on the "evidence"..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what is so wrong with one side being able to dominate another with no come back or fact checking. Some of us have spent literally years assessing all options and opinions as we strive for optimum health via the easiest safest route.

Point 13 was rightfully, in my view challenged via a question statement many of us know to be 100% accurate. Why should that point of view be allowed to stand as if a fact, when clearly millions don't have this issue over millennia (not to denigrate the amount who might) and in "our" opinion numbers would be statistically nothing to write home about (for the individual concerned this does not detract from any potential discomfort). I don't know any person who cannot digest meat with side affects (do you, and if you do I bet you cannot name another), and have seen obscure diseases where this is the case only in videos.

I and others jolly well know what types of foods cause inflammation, gut lining issues etc, especially over the last 50 years or so, and should be allowed to test our version of the truth and not be shouted down or policed (unlike point 13).

When persons come on this site and state they have found the cure to diabetes, the response is to immediately ask the journalistic mantra "who", "what", "where", "when" type questions (this will always either provide facts or the contrary); no one says oh let him or her speak for a similar sweeping statement we know to be rubbish. Animal protein is life saving for some of us, so the constant bashing without facts is just not on. Straw-manning legitimate questions of proof on such a sensitive matter is inappropriate and does not help confused newbies who have heard in their lifetime all of the scare stories.

Please remember the context, the traffic is only one way in terms of which of the two groups is trying to impose a position on the other, just in Britain alone within the last 2 weeks a University and Nursery have some meat bans, clearly based on the "evidence"..
I think i agree, but to be honest I found this post extremely confusing and really wasn’t sure which point you were making til the end.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think i agree, but to be honest I found this post extremely confusing and really wasn’t sure which point you were making til the end.
This is why I have engaged a PR company for another project of mine. My swat analysis is clear in that being technical, I know what I want to say, just don't know how to say it in a short concise manner.

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I started keto last November it was miraculous it dropped my A1c from 106 down to 59 within 11 weeks, but I noticed that my knees started getting unbearable pain due to osteoarthritis and I had to have steroid injection in my right knee , it never took the pain away completely , but it did ease it .

Around June I started getting the same unbearable pain in my elbows and suspected back then that the high fat could be the cause .

Around six weeks ago i was really ill with vomiting and was always feels nauseous (I made a thread about this ,stopping keto) , I decided that keto was the cause of my nausea and stopped it straight away . The improvement was almost instant and I introduced carbs and keep between 80~130 a day , I've lost a stone in weight I feel amazingly well and the pain in my elbows and knees has all but gone .

Now I am not sure if it is the high fat that was causing my pain in the knees and elbows , but it seems to have cured me since stopping keto .

Keto is amazing and I am so grateful that I did this diet because it dropped my A1c miraculously , but it made me very ill over the months.
I get my A1c result Tuesday so I will post on here what they are . Fingers crossed it has improved .

Thanks for reading , I'm interested to know if anyone else developed pain while doing keto , and also I must add that I had pain in my thumb and wrist too which has now almost gone . Wondering if there's a connection .

Hi- I experienced pain on my shoulder and also left elbow-I don’t it it’s to do with lo carb diet

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi- I experienced pain on my shoulder and also left elbow-I don’t it it’s to do with lo carb diet
It's hard to say, but since stopping and going back to normal diet with carbs under 130 a day the pain has gone . The pain started really early during the keto diet , I couldn't sleep for the pain was so bad, had to have steroid injection , but it still had quite a lot of pain and then my elbows started with the same pain . I became ill after 11 months of keto and changed my diet a few days after and have been fine since , so i can only put it down to the high fat . That is just what happened with me .

DeniseT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started keto last November it was miraculous it dropped my A1c from 106 down to 59 within 11 weeks, but I noticed that my knees started getting unbearable pain due to osteoarthritis and I had to have steroid injection in my right knee , it never took the pain away completely , but it did ease it .

Around June I started getting the same unbearable pain in my elbows and suspected back then that the high fat could be the cause .

Around six weeks ago i was really ill with vomiting and was always feels nauseous (I made a thread about this ,stopping keto) , I decided that keto was the cause of my nausea and stopped it straight away . The improvement was almost instant and I introduced carbs and keep between 80~130 a day , I've lost a stone in weight I feel amazingly well and the pain in my elbows and knees has all but gone .

Now I am not sure if it is the high fat that was causing my pain in the knees and elbows , but it seems to have cured me since stopping keto .

Keto is amazing and I am so grateful that I did this diet because it dropped my A1c miraculously , but it made me very ill over the months.
I get my A1c result Tuesday so I will post on here what they are . Fingers crossed it has improved .

Thanks for reading , I'm interested to know if anyone else developed pain while doing keto , and also I must add that I had pain in my thumb and wrist too which has now almost gone . Wondering if there's a connection .

It's hard to say, but since stopping and going back to normal diet with carbs under 130 a day the pain has gone . The pain started really early during the keto diet , I couldn't sleep for the pain was so bad, had to have steroid injection , but it still had quite a lot of pain and then my elbows started with the same pain . I became ill after 11 months of keto and changed my diet a few days after and have been fine since , so i can only put it down to the high fat . That is just what happened with me .

Personally, and its my opinion, I don't think that the keto diet is a healthy diet. Obviously on this site I'm probably in the minority, but as the saying goes "you pays your money and you makes your choice!" Good luck to everyone, whatever the diet, in your quest to be healthier.

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, and its my opinion, I don't think that the keto diet is a healthy diet. Obviously on this site I'm probably in the minority, but as the saying goes "you pays your money and you makes your choice!" Good luck to everyone, whatever the diet, in your quest to be healthier.
So what has helped you control your type 2? Obviously not keto but always interesting to hear of alternatives

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

You have a reason for that or is it just a Gut feeling?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I totally agree with you. Personally I feel a keto diet isn’t healthy enough for my way of life.
It’s not about minority or majority, it’s about belief. If you believe that’s all that matters.
You don’t have to justify your beliefs.

Reactions: Speedbird

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe the moon is made of green cheese and the world is flat both patently false but if I believe it then that makes it so without me needing to justify that in any way.

Some people have a feeling that women are inferior to men others that the colour of your skin determines your worth as a human being if we don't challenge such prejudice then we are failing in our duty.

So far as I know keto or low carb diets have not been recognized as belief systems. And therefore should be judged by the science and results not subjective assumptions.

Reactions: HSSS

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm another who would like to know how you keep your type 2 controlled. Genuinely. I am on keto with kidney and liver functions good and magnesium and b12 good and Hba1c about 5.1
I don’t really enjoy keto but my body does in terms of blood tests. Would welcome another option.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A forum is an exchange of conversation. When one party expresses their views on the others opinion/actions choices it is common practice to reciprocate. This is not demanding justification, or even a reply. It is an invitation to expand the conversation.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe the moon is made of green cheese and the world is flat both patently false but if I believe it then that makes it so without me needing to justify that in any way.

Some people have a feeling that women are inferior to men others that the colour of your skin determines your worth as a human being if we don't challenge such prejudice then we are failing in our duty.

So far as I know keto or low carb diets have not been recognized as belief systems. And therefore should be judged by the science and results not subjective assumptions.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure that is a fair analogy. Of course there is science that explains why the moon isn't cheese and of course many people are prejudiced and need to be challenged, etc. With what food is bad/good for a human being though it's far more complicated than that. If as an individual I KNOW that an avocado makes me feel ill for example, then I may not know why but I just KNOW it does and I don't have to justify it with 'science' even if I could. Same with all foods, the human body can cope with some and not others sometimes for no apparent reason. I get that keto is fine for some people but not for others. I feel best on a low carb diet myself for example, not keto. If Denise isn't a fan of keto, so what?, maybe it just doesn't suit her.