Type 2 Newbie T2 overwhelmed by diet change

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went lowish carb overnight - down to 100g initially then 85g.
It was tough and I seemed to spend all my time and energy adapting - especially as I have both fibromylgia and CFS so didn't have much energy anyway!
But it was worth it as my blood sugars dropped fast. (There is some evidence to suggest that the sooner you go down after getting T2 the more likely you are to get into remission.)

I concentrated on eating extra chicken, cheese, a few eggs and bacon or ham a couple of times a week - plus lots more green veg. And finding something to eat for breakfast as I can't eat eggs first thing.
Then stuff to stop me running straight back to loads of milk chocolate and caes! There are lots of really good swaps for low carbing and some great recipes in here.
I make a batch of cauliflower rice once a week - it takes less than 20 mins to grate a cauliflower and roast it. This is my main carb swap for dinner.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't let this comment disturb you. For the majority of us, this won't happen. The body will only convert protein to glucose as a last resort, and even then only the amount of protein that is not needed for its normal essential functions. Personally I have never restricted my protein.
Thank you. I'll try not to let it bother me.

I don't know how any of you manage the minefield of balancing the various food groups. This is completely beyond my understanding as there are so many variables involved, not to mention different GI/GL carbs (not indicated on the packaging) and the different fat types. I've just completed my first major shop since my diagnosis and I've come back with a whole slew of unfamiliar items. I confess I don't really know what I'm doing as my previous diet has to completely go out of the window. My mind is constantly filled with "what can I eat today?". I'm concentrating on carbs and the other food groups are left to fend for themselves. It's all too overwhelming.

I did cook myself a low carb chicken casserole yesterday which was quite tasty, but I live on my own and have a full-time job so cooking *every* meal isn't an option.

I honestly think I can't do this.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all felt like you do when we first started. I concentrated on just a few meals and stuck to them when I first started. You get the hang of thing surprisingly quickly.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went lowish carb overnight - down to 100g initially then 85g.
It was tough and I seemed to spend all my time and energy adapting - especially as I have both fibromylgia and CFS so didn't have much energy anyway!
But it was worth it as my blood sugars dropped fast. (There is some evidence to suggest that the sooner you go down after getting T2 the more likely you are to get into remission.)

I concentrated on eating extra chicken, cheese, a few eggs and bacon or ham a couple of times a week - plus lots more green veg. And finding something to eat for breakfast as I can't eat eggs first thing.
Then stuff to stop me running straight back to loads of milk chocolate and caes! There are lots of really good swaps for low carbing and some great recipes in here.
I make a batch of cauliflower rice once a week - it takes less than 20 mins to grate a cauliflower and roast it. This is my main carb swap for dinner.
That's great to hear your blood sugars dropped fast.

I've gone to virtually no carbs in one hit. I'm eating mainly chicken/beef and cauliflower/broccoli and I have almost constant hunger. This is Hell on Earth.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all felt like you do when we first started. I concentrated on just a few meals and stuck to them when I first started. You get the hang of thing surprisingly quickly.
Thank you. It just seems like a never ending dark tunnel just now. When I was wandering around the supermarket earlier, I could only think of the 95% of goods there that I can't have.

Apologies for the negativity everyone. I'm having a hard time with this and I have no-one to talk to who'd fully understand.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great to hear your blood sugars dropped fast.

I've gone to virtually no carbs in one hit. I'm eating mainly chicken/beef and cauliflower/broccoli and I have almost constant hunger. This is Hell on Earth.

i am going to write the next sentence in capitals, even though it is shouting here in interwebland, but some things need to emphasised:

THERE IS NO NEED TO GO HUNGRY ON A LOW CARB WAY OF EATING.

Please print that off and stick it to the front of your fridge. :D

There is a huge list of low carb friendly foods to choose from, but the simplest option is to add extra protein, fat and/or extra vegetables.

Increase your protein portions.
Have a big salad with mayo on it with your meal.
Or add extra veg, and toss with butter or olive oil and herbs.

Finish a meal with full fat yog or cream on berries, or some delicious cheese.

If you still believe that saturated fats are bad (I don’t) then you can substitute butter, cream and cheese for rapeseed and olive oils, and vegan cream options for cowsmilk cream.

Just don’t go hungry, because gnawing hunger is guaranteed to wear you down to the point that you break, and fall headfirst back into carbs and high blood glucose.

Reactions: SlimLizzy

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i am going to write the next sentence in capitals, even though it is shouting here in interwebland, but some things need to emphasised:

THERE IS NO NEED TO GO HUNGRY ON A LOW CARB WAY OF EATING.

Please print that off and stick it to the front of your fridge. :D

There is a huge list of low carb friendly foods to choose from, but the simplest option is to add extra protein, fat and/or extra vegetables.

Increase your protein portions.
Have a big salad with mayo on it with your meal.
Or add extra veg, and toss with butter or olive oil and herbs.

Finish a meal with full fat yog or cream on berries, or some delicious cheese.

If you still believe that saturated fats are bad (I don’t) then you can substitute butter, cream and cheese for rapeseed and olive oils, and vegan cream options for cowsmilk cream.

Just don’t go hungry, because gnawing hunger is guaranteed to wear you down to the point that you break, and fall headfirst back into carbs and high blood glucose.
Thank you. I think I need to be shouted at, be it in reality or virtually :). And I *have* stuck it to the front of my fridge :).

I'll add extra veg and see how I get on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The point about hunger is that fats and protein are satiating. Carbs are not. I think I noticed you say you had a zero fat yogurt. Change this to a full fat Greek yogurt and add a few strawberries or raspberries. (and I do mean a few, not a whole punnet). This makes an excellent dessert or a quick and easy breakfast. Add butter to your veggies instead of gravy. Throw out the highly processed chemical filled vegetable oils and cook with butter or other solid animal fats. Increase your protein portions and add extra veggies. Eggs are wonderful - eat as many as you like. Salmon is also a good addition.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'll try not to let it bother me.

I honestly think I can't do this.

Keeping it fairly simply.. base meals around meat/fish of any kind hot or cold.. supplement with veg that grow above ground and salad.
Eggs and bacon are also fine at any time of the day.
Any food that is more than 10% carb (I would recommend sub 5% carb) stays on the shelf.
You won't go too far wrong with that.
Double cream nicer than milk and cheese are also great.
Don't ever buy "diabeitc" anything or low fat.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The point about hunger is that fats and protein are satiating. Carbs are not. I think I noticed you say you had a zero fat yogurt. Change this to a full fat Greek yogurt and add a few strawberries or raspberries. (and I do mean a few, not a whole punnet). This makes an excellent dessert or a quick and easy breakfast. Add butter to your veggies instead of gravy. Throw out the highly processed chemical filled vegetable oils and cook with butter or other solid animal fats. Increase your protein portions and add extra veggies. Eggs are wonderful - eat as many as you like. Salmon is also a good addition.
Thank you. Full fat Greek yogurt eh? What sort of portion size should that be? I need to lose a few pounds and my greedy self will scoff the whole 500g tub in one go!!

Sadly, for me, fish and eggs are off the table. I just can't stand the smell of either of them.

Hotpepper20000

Thank you. Full fat Greek yogurt eh? What sort of portion size should that be? I need to lose a few pounds and my greedy self will scoff the whole 500g tub in one go!!

Sadly, for me, fish and eggs are off the table. I just can't stand the smell of either of them.
I rarely eat fish either. I find it doesn’t really fill me up.
Bacon and beef however does the trick.

Reactions: Energize

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keeping it fairly simply.. base meals around meat/fish of any kind hot or cold.. supplement with veg that grow above ground and salad.
Eggs and bacon are also fine at any time of the day.
Any food that is more than 10% carb (I would recommend sub 5% carb) stays on the shelf.
You won't go too far wrong with that.
Double cream nicer than milk and cheese are also great.
Don't ever buy "diabeitc" anything or low fat.
I'm keeping with your first sentence :) and I've discovered that so-called 'diabetic' foods are nonsense.

I definitely withdraw from anything over 10% carbs. It's become an obsession over the past week since diagnosis. Prior to that, not so much :greedy:.

I find it very interesting that many folk here advocate full fat dairy products. That just seems so counter-intuitive. But hey, whatever works eh?

Reactions: SlimLizzy

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Captain Crunch

Welcome. There are several of us who live alone/cook for one. Yes, it can take some planning but remember the freezer - it's very useful, especially with microwave too ;)

You say you cooked a tasty chicken dish recently :) (Feel free to divulge the recipe here ... ;) ) Well, could you, perhaps, make enough for 3 or 4 portions and then freeze them? Chuck in the microwave after a busy day ... bingo, a quick, tasty and very nourishing meal. Vegs don't take long, especially if you have prepared in advance. Don't forget, butter is really tasty on vegs ;)

Ham slices, from the deli, with sliced DairyLee and rolled up, with/without tomato, cucumber, mushrooms etc, is another quick meal which i often have.

Things like Chilli, bolognaise sauce etc freeze well, although you mentioned you didn't like some meats but could give you ideas. Cauliflower rice is just superb too ... ;)

Good luck, you'll get through your dark tunnel before very long, if not, before ...

Plenty of people here to 'talk' with. We're all in similar boats, one way or another so you'll get a lot of support here :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. It just seems like a never ending dark tunnel just now. When I was wandering around the supermarket earlier, I could only think of the 95% of goods there that I can't have.

Apologies for the negativity everyone. I'm having a hard time with this and I have no-one to talk to who'd fully understand.
I went to Christmas fairs today and yesterday. Different cities, The Hague and Doorn, but the same enticing smells. Of foods I can't have. Drinks too. The German fairs are easier, with bratwurst readily available. I'm happy with keto, but this time of year it just often is a kick in the jaw. So don't apologise for negativity. We all have these moments, we're not a merry gang of professional diabetics here, we're real people who know exactly how you feel... Key is to find something you can actually eat. (Like bratwurst. ;) ) . Or give in for a moment and get right back on the wagon, once in a blue moon (and add a long walk as pennance. ;) ). Seriously.... We have to get through things like this one way or another. Find whatever works for you.

And, HUG.
Jo