What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great and the chatting to other dog walkers is something I miss massively. I could just walk but a) people are less inclined to chat and b) involuntarily on a no exercise routine (although I may break that as I am so bored)
I would also really miss the dog walking - although sometimes if I feel tired and it's cold outside I would love to stay indoors in the warm.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to larf yesterday when reading Sainsbury's have had to withdraw their egg bites from the shelves as they had neglected to list eggs on the ingredients labels.
I did see the following on a packet of nuts - 'warning - contains nuts'. Who knew.

Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today went to the funeral of a neighbour of more than 30 years. It was a lovely friendly service at our local Methodist church - very moving.

The rest of the day I did a massive house declutter. It feels so good to have done it. Everywhere looks so tidy.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My empathy/ sympathy for your care home search, @Muddy Cyclist, having been in a similar situation recently. Best wishes.
Thanks @dogslife we have managed to find one we liked, high ratings only 35 minutes from us and in a rural area, fingers crossed it lives up to its reputation. MIL can't be moved until Monday, something to do with doctor being available, hospital not happy and asked us to find another so they can ship MIL out quicker but we have had enough running around and this was one the discharge person had suggested, and so we said no especially as others with a room had terrible reviews. Feel a bit bad about it as we know MIL is taking up hospital bed but for our sanity and best choice for MIL we are sticking to our guns.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @dogslife we have managed to find one we liked, high ratings only 35 minutes from us and in a rural area, fingers crossed it lives up to its reputation. MIL can't be moved until Monday, something to do with doctor being available, hospital not happy and asked us to find another so they can ship MIL out quicker but we have had enough running around and this was one the discharge person had suggested, and so we said no especially as others with a room had terrible reviews. Feel a bit bad about it as we know MIL is taking up hospital bed but for our sanity and best choice for MIL we are sticking to our guns.

Good for you for standing up to them. Well done!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. My fbg was 6.2 when I eventually gave in, went to bathroom and tested - woke around 4.15. A cold, virus, man flu (whatever label you want) is the simplistic explanation of that reading but for me not the cause. These little niggles are too cyclical/frequent to be an accident so the most obvious cause to me seems to be my version of LC. Short term plan is to stop this causing gout (which is a common issue) and stop things getting any worse. Along with poor recent A1c and return of zero hour dark thirty waking (maps perfectly onto 7+ days of approx 11 gms carbs) lays bare my issues about why LC doesn't really work for me. Short term, perfect time of year to completely break this woe - may dial back the testing (but once the Genie is out of the bottle ....) resting pulse and weight have become key drivers for me. Interesting times but as usual there is an answer - Psalm 146 is a good place to start! Have a great day.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a more respectable 5.4 for me today.

How did Christmas suddenly get so close? No where near ready!

A day of musical rehearsal, last Christmas gig is Friday night and my fingers are still getting tied in knots on one of the Recorder quartet pieces, too many accidentals in the music for my old brain.

Enjoy your day, admire the Queen, what a day she's got. Take care whatever you are up to.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a confusing post bin day, pre Friday, in the dark and dangerous north.

The wonder wheel of red screens and wild allegations sucked in it’s teeth and tutted out a 2.7 this am. It’s now calming down (or up) at 4.1 after a bit of coaxing with some cheese and a mug of tea.

I made a large Christmas batch of crackers yesterday but I suspect that they may need replenishing before next Wednesday.
Home made KFC last night using a mixture of almond flour, parmesan and crushed pork scratchings as a coating. Air fried for 20 minutes - pretty good.

At last we have decided upon our Christmas lunch menu. It won’t be too arduous this year; only three of us with MIL and we don’t like too large a meal. I can have most of it done the day before - meat into sous vide bath for a few hours and then in the fridge overnight. It will just need a quick roast off or even pan fry the next day. MIL likes prawn cocktails so that’s an easy call. Bought two cases of wine that we like in Tesco that was on offer plus an additional 25% off when buying 6, saved £17 - bargain. So, Just the veg to sort out, a bit of fruit and cheese and we are done.

All this talk about food is making me hungry - koffy.

Have a wonderful day if you can, my ailments pale into insignificance compared to those of people sleeping rough in this very cold weather.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...an exhausting day yesterday filled with tension...first the vets centre for the injections I was intending to look the other way but didn't ...neither of them turned a hair or complained (and I made sure they didn't see me wincing) then home to finish my paperwork & invoicing...a quick tidy bags packed with mince tarts & mince meat plus bottles of wine (for colleagues) the bag weighed a ton...off to London...packages & goodies delivered...then supper with family...back on the road home...blasted cramp on the drive home...I'm thinking I have been hitting the carbs lately could that be the reason for cramp I think it may be so none or as little as possible today onwards...home absolutely exhausted...Olivia did a splendid job with Charlie & Lola both as bright as a button when I got home...running around like lunatics & didn't go to bed until midnight...woke to a 6.5

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Another disgraceful 6.5 with no obvious reason this time. In better news my A1c came back at 36 up 3 but still happy.
@Muddy Cyclist wishing you all well for getting MIL into the best care home and learning your piece for Friday. @ianpspurs that FBG defo not fair for so little carbing. You have to wonder if you should gradually increase. I try to average 20 to 30g a day but I dont scientifically measure anything. But then my fbgs are usually high, its a very long time since I have been in McGarrett country., so dont listen to me!
@dunelm you made me laugh re your menu for Christmas day, are you sure you have enough wine for the 3 of you! @HarryBeau yesterday sounded hectic hope today is more relaxing and the furbabies dont demolish anything. I’m off to the hairdressers this morning and catching up with an old friend later. Eye clinic tomorrow.
Terrible heavy rain forecast everywhere over next few days so hope and pray you will all be safe and dry. Stay well, stay safe.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Happy to have finally finished Christmas shopping yesterday after a late night dash to Truro. The severe weather warnings earlier in the day almost put us off but luckily it had calmed down by 5ish.
The Eden Health Walk yesterday was good, such a nice bunch. I met a diminutive lady called ‘Sausage Maureen’ she loves dogs and always has a pocket full of sausages to give out! Dennis recognised a soft touch immediately when he saw her and went to sit adoringly at her feet. She promptly produced 2 sausages and managed to feed both to him in spite of my half hearted attempts to say ‘just a tiny bit please, he shouldn’t have too many treats’ oh well! It is Christmas.
Glad to hear how well Olivia managed yesterday @HarryBeau I bet they were all tired by the end of the day.
@Muddy Cyclist I’m glad you’ve found somewhere suitable for MIL it’s hard to stick to your guns under that pressure but you are doing the right thing and for the right reasons, not because you want to make things difficult for the bed manager.
@ianpspurs I’m sorry for your woe woes. Are you suffering a flare up of gout at the moment? I’ve never had it but my dad did and I saw what agony he was in.
@dunelm the KFC coating and airfryer chicken sounds great - that’s our dinner tonight sorted I think.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Another disgraceful 6.5 with no obvious reason this time. In better news my A1c came back at 36 up 3 but still happy.
@Muddy Cyclist wishing you all well for getting MIL into the best care home and learning your piece for Friday. @ianpspurs that FBG defo not fair for so little carbing. You have to wonder if you should gradually increase. I try to average 20 to 30g a day but I dont scientifically measure anything. But then my fbgs are usually high, its a very long time since I have been in McGarrett country., so dont listen to me!
@dunelm you made me laugh re your menu for Christmas day, are you sure you have enough wine for the 3 of you! @HarryBeau yesterday sounded hectic hope today is more relaxing and the furbabies dont demolish anything. I’m off to the hairdressers this morning and catching up with an old friend later. Eye clinic tomorrow.
Terrible heavy rain forecast everywhere over next few days so hope and pray you will all be safe and dry. Stay well, stay safe.
Fantatsic A1c so listening to you would be sensible and may produce an improvement. Well deserved - enjoy Christmas safe in the knowledge you have this down to a fine art (forget the science).

Last edited: