What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Happy to have finally finished Christmas shopping yesterday after a late night dash to Truro. The severe weather warnings earlier in the day almost put us off but luckily it had calmed down by 5ish.
The Eden Health Walk yesterday was good, such a nice bunch. I met a diminutive lady called ‘Sausage Maureen’ she loves dogs and always has a pocket full of sausages to give out! Dennis recognised a soft touch immediately when he saw her and went to sit adoringly at her feet. She promptly produced 2 sausages and managed to feed both to him in spite of my half hearted attempts to say ‘just a tiny bit please, he shouldn’t have too many treats’ oh well! It is Christmas.
Glad to hear how well Olivia managed yesterday @HarryBeau I bet they were all tired by the end of the day.
@Muddy Cyclist I’m glad you’ve found somewhere suitable for MIL it’s hard to stick to your guns under that pressure but you are doing the right thing and for the right reasons, not because you want to make things difficult for the bed manager.
@ianpspurs I’m sorry for your woe woes. Are you suffering a flare up of gout at the moment? I’ve never had it but my dad did and I saw what agony he was in.
@dunelm the KFC coating and airfryer chicken sounds great - that’s our dinner tonight sorted I think.
No gout atm but a trend has been cyclical trough = gout a week or so after. Lots of tea and naproxen. Don't think this is a WOE woe, just a factual account of what it does to me - feels like it has failed me.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A1c came back at 36 up 3 but still happy.
Get in there PM fantastic score on those doors...you deserve a pampering session...up this morning to very lively kittens charging about the house... I have a new scratching post arriving with dangly furry things on it so hopefully that will take the 'heat' off the sofa...odd they were so tiny when they arrived just over ten days ago I did worry about the stairs could they get up & down okay...now the stairs are a constant source of entertainment...maybe save up for new stair carpet?...enjoy your day.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. Sounds really wild out there this morning. Husband is doggie walking this morning while I sit and relax with a coffee because we are waiting for our free TV which we got with the supersonic broadband to be collected because it arrived with a cracked screen.

Yesterday I threw out everything I had saved over the last few months to read when I had the time & which I never did. Everywhere looks so tidy.

I looked through my blood sugar diaries for the four years I injected insulin. It was really shocking as they absolutely proved that eating 70g of starchy carbs with every meal and injecting insulin was absolutely the wrong way to treat my T2D. Lots of fasting readings in the 8s, 9s and 10s. Low carb and no insulin I never ever even get that high after a meal.

I kept the diaries but did throw away the brochure I got from the hospital in 2018 which said as a T2 I need to eat starchy carbs with every meal. Although I am being a little unfair on the hospital because it did add the proviso that we must watch portion size because a large portion of starchy carbs will increase BS. So not quite a U turn but shows that things were starting to change in 2018 - albeit very slowly.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.7 today

usually we're out early on Thursday's to volunteer in the 'big shed' but sadly we have a memorial service to go to this morning. A member of our village community injured in a road accident three months ago died last week without regaining consciousness :(

Hug your loved ones close and live every day my friends

Hope your day treats you kindly

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No gout atm but a trend has been cyclical trough = gout a week or so after. Lots of tea and naproxen. Don't think this is a WOE woe, just a factual account of what it does to me - feels like it has failed me.

Hope it doesn’t lay you low over Christmas

Reactions: gennepher

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Thanks @dogslife we have managed to find one we liked, high ratings only 35 minutes from us and in a rural area, fingers crossed it lives up to its reputation. MIL can't be moved until Monday, something to do with doctor being available, hospital not happy and asked us to find another so they can ship MIL out quicker but we have had enough running around and this was one the discharge person had suggested, and so we said no especially as others with a room had terrible reviews. Feel a bit bad about it as we know MIL is taking up hospital bed but for our sanity and best choice for MIL we are sticking to our guns.
Well done@Muddy Cyclist. That must be a great relief. :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
19-12-19
5.7 this morning. Very good after all the stuff eaten yesterday evening.
Building progress has been fantastic. Today they started putting ceilings in.
More good news, the new assistant builder has let us know he is free (If only that were true) to work a couple of weeks in the new year. MrSlim will probably take him up on that offer.
Meanwhile. How do I get motivated to continue with tight control of carbs? So many delicious foods around this time of year am feeling a bit left out.
Luckily was never a big fan of mince pies.
But there are many interesting and tasty looking foods here that I would love to try.
Savory cake for example. Chorizo and red pepper.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
79384697_2588882441149540_5806745374160846848_n.png

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6 month review was a crowded affair. Pharmacist, DN and a new Dr sitting in. They were all happy with my numbers - I wasn't. - :banghead::banghead: Asked if I wanted an appointment with a dietician - laughed when I explained we might just annoy each other. and rolled eyes when I said we would disagree over the eatwell plate. They smiled knowingly when I said I felt it only right to decline any courses with plates of biscuits on offer as that seemed to be missing the point to me. First time pharmacist has been present - just when I am moving we join the C21st! All about 4.5 years late for me.
Corrected for @JohnEGreen

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Make your mind up Jeremy - foot or hand? No opinion on the most important issue of the day

Nope no opinion at all, the most important issue of the or any day is subjective.
For background info and in no particular order I dislike.
Politicians
People harping on excessively about pets
People who take themselves seriously
Right thats enough of that.
Time to move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Afternoon folks, still not 100% so no normal greetings yet.

8.3 still below 10 so good, but it was a late meal.

Mrs J was up early demanding tea and speaking at me, I think, I wasn't listening, but just nodding at appropriate times or so I thought.
Next thing I know is I'm being taken food shopping and then horror of all horrors being taken to a garden centre to look at Christmas tat.

Well folks enjoy things while you can and ignore the rest.