Therapeutic Fasting: Fact or Fiction! Your Thoughts please?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I’ve started early research gathering on this potential aid to the eventual reversal of my Diabetes. Do you have something I can add to my knowledge-base. This could be empirical - numbers -, and/or experiential - you’ve tried and it has worked or not.

NB: Anything I do will only be done with my full disclosure of my activity to/and knowledge of my GP, the Diabetes Nurses and my local Community Diabetes Group.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you want to know?

I IF every day (never eat before lunchtime) and in the past have fasted for extended periods up to 7 days.

I credit IF and an ultra low carb diet with putting my T2 into remission, ending lots of health related problems and losing a large amount of weight.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What do you want to know?
Hi! - Fundamentally, getting back to the thoughts/relevance of us, Humans, as being hunter-gatherers and would have needed or could only eat as and when the opportunities of Game became available. Added to which much activity - running and jumping - was necessary for the pursuit of said Game. Consequently getting "support" in the whole fasting thing whilst I'm yearning to eat. What you then go on to say is proof positive of your achievement using IF:

I credit IF and an ultra low carb diet with putting my T2 into remission, ending lots of health related problems and losing a large amount of weight.

I want to explore this for myself and have strategies in place to steer me away from the Fridge and the Fruit bowl. I want to know what you've done to bypass the sources of grub.

I IF every day (never eat before lunchtime)
Typically what would be your Fast Hours from the day before?

in the past have fasted for extended periods up to 7 days.
So you'd employ this fasting regime from the previous Day (evening meal?) to the next Day Lunchtime? Correct? How many hours of fasting would you employ? 18 hours? And that you'd kept this up for a week? What would you go back to after that week?

We even have a forum section for it..
I did a search for the specifics of my wishes but drew a blank. I will definitely check it out.

bulkbiker thanks massively for your import. My Dr had floated the concept of TF to me this week, it all makes much sense and wished my chums here to add their "weight" behind it, which you've now done.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as being hunter-gatherers and would have needed or could only eat as and when the opportunities of Game became available.
Agreed we would only eat once game had been caught and butchered so a far more feast and fast regime than the current constant eating every few hours.

I want to know what you've done to bypass the sources of grub.
My fasting crutch is coffee with double cream which is satiating and gives a very low insulin response (so far as anyone actually knows). I have at least 3 large mugs every morning with 10 ml of cream in each (I measure out all of them).

Typically what would be your Fast Hours from the day before?
Dinner for me is usually between 7 and 8 pm I then don't eat anything until at the earliest 1 pm the following day so a 17-7 fast.. sometimes the first meal doesn't come until 3-4 pm or even until 7 pm so an almost 24 hour fast (it depends on hunger).
I do this every day all the time.

When I fast for extended periods I don't eat anything for up to 7 days apart from the coffee with cream, tea with lactofree milk and maybe some bone broth with some butter melted in it. So nothing solid at all.

I haven't done one of those for some time and usually only do them to break through a weight loss stall.
The time may be approaching though for the next one!

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dinner for me is usually between 7 and 8 pm I then don't eat anything until at the earliest 1 pm the following day so a 17-7 fast.. sometimes the first meal doesn't come until 3-4 pm or even until 7 pm so an almost 24 hour fast (it depends on hunger).
I do this every day all the time.
Awesome!

When I fast for extended periods I don't eat anything for up to 7 days apart from the coffee with cream, tea with lactofree milk and maybe some bone broth with some butter melted in it. So nothing solid at all.
AWESOME x 10 ! You'd not hit a Hype episode? Wow . . . :nailbiting: How was your actual strength? Would you do anything strenuous?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd not hit a Hype episode

I don't take any meds so "can't" hypo as such... bloods have been down in the mid 3's but after the first couple of times felt fine there.
I carry on with life as usual when not eating.. although I do lead a fairly sedentary life anyway.

As a word of warning I built up to the extended fasts with a series of shorter ones.. 24 hours then 48h etc.
I would not recommend jumping into a 7 day fast without preparation.. it takes practise.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As a word of warning I built up to the extended fasts with a series of shorter ones..
Oh yes indeed. I’ve just completed my own small milestone- 14 hours! I got to 10:15 this morning but the Pangs got the better of me ;) Eating small bowl of nuts with an A1c of 7.3.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes indeed. I’ve just completed my own small milestone- 14 hours! I got to 10:15 this morning but the Pangs got the better of me ;) Eating small bowl of nuts with an A1c of 7.3.
Which nuts?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Hazels and Cashews

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Estragon,
While I do fast, I can't attribute my remission to that, since most of the time I was still eating 3 meals per day , just Low Carb ones. I 'm towards the end of the weight loss phase / starting the weight maintenance phase, but I don't often feel hungry in a morning - and if so I skip breakfast and just have a green tea or a no-carb herbal one. Currently I haven't had breakfast for over 4 weeks.

I recently posted this link to an article about fasting in one of my threads:
Fasting (from Time Restricted Eating to Medium-Term Fasting) - some information and advice.
This is just an article, so just a gathering of opinions from a selection of medics:
https://experiencelife.com/article/...ut-intermittent-fasting/#.XgEVu1BluJs.twitter

It puzzles me why so many members of this (and the other) forum so frequently ask about and talk about snacking. I realise that we aren't all the same, but for anybody who understands the links between Carbs, Insulin and Weight gain, avoiding snacking should be the favoured subject. I understand that in this case you were trying to push for a longer fast but if possible it's much better (from the Insulin point of view) to eat a good satisfying (preferably Low Carb) meal so that you aren't hungry until your next planned meal.

P.S.
Did you know that Cashews are one of the types of nuts with the highest carbs - higher than all the others you list.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you know that Cashews are one of the types of nuts with the highest carbs - higher than all the others you list.
Yes I did know. I’ll look it up and compare it. It’s part of a COSTCO mixed nut combo. I’ll make a judgment on it. Anyway, thanks for reminding me.