Meat free.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was watching a TV program where little gang of cattle was being used to trample the rice terraces to prepare them for planting - basically creating a nice soft mud where only the rice could grow.
If there are no cattle available then what would be the alternative form of mud creation?

Hi,

If this topic was in an appropriate sub fora? I could possibly contribute to your question.

As it happens, i've recently discovered the joys of cooking together with my wife. Hence the perusal.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker . You have a short memory my friend. Full on omnivore here. Eating a sensible, well balanced diet. None of the fad diets here.
This thread is here just as an observation and to offer some balance to the forum.
Let’s not forget that this is the Vegetarian sub forum.
Some of us have no choice. We eat what you call a fad diet to stay healthy. Everyone should be able to choose whatever diet they like without being criticized for it. Sadly the wider vegan movement (I'm not talking about any individuals on this site) won't allow us to do this. Sadly, I fear that eating plant based will not save the planet no matter how many activists say it will.

Edit: What would help is to stop wasting resources on unnecessary things...like film and tv. Yet 'they' target the one thing we all need...food. I guess it feels good to think one is doing something to save the planet whilst not changing anything else in one's lifestyle.

Reactions: Robbity and Lotties
D

Deleted member 308541

Most probably why the movie "The Irishman" never got more gongs, as a fair bit of the movie was about 'The Irishnman" selling stolen meat to the "Mob".

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Full on omnivore here. Eating a sensible, well balanced diet. None of the fad diets here.
Those you ridicule are mostly type 2, unlike yourself whose condition has different causes and solutions. As a type 1 you are much less likely to require carb limiting due to resistance than a type 2.
And I’m quite sure a low carb /keto style of eating has been around a lot longer than vegan unless you are including that as a fad too.

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks delicious.
Well this sounds lovely to me. I like meat also but can appreciate meals without it. Each to their own of course.
I’d have gone home hungry having not eaten anything much at all. I do eat vegetarian meals, living with a vegetarian, and have no issues with vegan options being available but where are the meat options? Fairs fair but I guess the empty gesture wouldn’t have been there then.

Honeyend

I didn't eat meat for 30+years, then realised it was not a good option for everyone.I had started non-meat low carbing, then got pancreatitis, so I was very ill and now Type3c. I doubt if I would as done as well, if I had not have eaten meat, I needed concentrated protein for my body to heal. No way could I have eaten enough plant based protein.

I think eating meat could save the plant, maybe eating less of it, we do not need as much as we do eat to supply our protein requirments. If we have less land for food production, if sea levels rise, the land we use will perhaps have to be intensively farmed, even if its plants based, and and that means more nutrients and moisture retaining waste will be needed, even if its only from the human animal and as far as I know we can not grow soya in the UK

Soy, palm oil, coffee and avocado production are all clearing rainforests, and of course the amount of carbon emitted by China, which is the largest producer is never mentioned, which we have no control over. No one seems to want to tackle the emmisions from cars and planes, and I bet most of the attendees at the Globes did not arrive by bus, and the USA is also a big producer of carbon emmisions. If they had all turned up in a clothes recycled from a thrift shop perhaps that would have really have shown a real visable commitment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

The UK import more soya for human food than for animals, a lot of animal feedstuffs are byproducts of human food production. Bread, biscuits, beer and sugar making byproducts, then there are carrots, potatoes and other human food deemed not good enough for supermarket shelves.
https://www.bcva.org.uk/system/files/whatwedo/BBC Programme BCVA Statement 19.12.19.pdf

Mostly cows and sheep are fed on grass, and a big up for our traditional breeds, they will survive and thrive on very poor quality grass or in the case of North Ronaldsay sheep, no grass at all, they can live off seaweed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ronaldsay_sheep

I think this provides a really good overall study of plant v meat and its implications.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5715743/
but looking how quickly our own food growing climate is changing things may change sooner rather than later. Its been to wet for some farmers to harvest or plant, even if they haven't had flooded land.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems the menu has been provided.
I have to admit I’m surprised there wasn’t a meat option. Scampi and chips maybe:)

Indeed a menu was provided. A little disappointed & bemused the menu wasn't listed in the initial post outlining the specific topic.

I'm quite a big fan of mushroom, & the entrée does actually looks appetising. There didn't seem to be an alternative dietary option at this event.

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we continue to build over land in order to house an ever growing population, there will be even less suitable land for food production of any type.

In the UK, most meat animals are on land unsuitable for crops or housing.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No one seems to want to tackle the emmisions from cars and planes, and I bet most of the attendees at the Globes did not arrive by bus, and the USA is also a big producer of carbon emmisions. If they had all turned up in a clothes recycled from a thrift shop perhaps that would have really have shown a real visable commitment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

WINNER ... Just for that quote.:D

but where's the glamour or glory in that, huh..;):bag:

Better to do as I say, rather then do as I do, methinks.
They really are the most caringest of us all, arent they.. god bless them.

Quite a lot to take in there, will peruse when I can... Cheers for post.

Sorry to hear about the pancreatitis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotties

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks delicious.
I'd of ate before, as if guess most would of.
(It is Hollywood.. personal chefs, special diets..)

As that would have left me starving...

A mainly vegan/veggie menu.. Agree.
But have some thought for others, who may not want it, surely.

But I guess that wasn't the point.

Post edited by moderator

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of posts have been edited or deleted for disrespecting different ways of eating. Any further such posts will also be deleted and may incur additional sanctions.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What happened to freedom of speech. Are we not allowed to discuss other options. Surely that is the whole point of a forum to be allowed to air our different views and opinions

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What happened to freedom of speech. Are we not allowed to discuss other options. Surely that is the whole point of a forum to be allowed to air our different views and opinions

Of course discussing of differing options is allowed. However, this must be done within the confines of the forum ethos and rules. Rules A3 and B3 are particularly relevant in the context of this thread.

Anyone wanting a refresh of the rules can find them here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/ and in the signature of any moderator.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not recall seeing many posts that were offensive/abusive

post edited by moderator to remove content in breach of the forum rules

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw this and thought if I was vegan and had a low blood sugar would I eat these,spider cookies.:angelic:
https://delightfulemade.com/wp-cont...76AaHZLmTRbykI-1LvgEyN6FAHwiXo5QDhkOUWvzLav0Y

Hi,

As a T1 hitting the floor? Yep, needs must...

Unfortunatly, looking at the recipe of these particular cookies from the original source.
They are not vegan. (Or even suit our vegetarian friends for that matter.)

I'm a bit wary of posting a link. (The website is a little add heavy.)
& the treats are cooked for a "bake a difference" campaign to raise money for childhood cancer awairness, including pancreatic being mentioned?

But I can PM the link if you're interested.