What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum hug for the nightmare. I had one too, which woke me early to an FBG of 8.1.

@gennepher Popeye's tracking you down around the bungalow reminds me of my old black Smokey coming to sit on my windowsill to listen for my alarm clock before moving to the door to be let in. The other day I was talking with a neighbor about cockroaches and mice, and I mentioned that "my cat" has "an internet friend" who catches mice and eats them. My neighbor was impressed, but, like anyone else not of this thread, has no idea who my cat's "cat friend" is, or where, or how my cat "knows" of this feline hunter, or that this thread is indeed a thread and not some "social media" site.
I love the painting. Thank you for posting it. I think it would look very good on your wall.

@Auto E I like the optimism of the idea of a 5-year plan. :) Mine is to have lost weight again -- enough to want another pair of Levi's 501 jeans if they're still made, and to be able to get up on (and down from!) a horse again, and to live where I can see some of these from my window:

4028476303_88b53d799a_b.jpg

477981710.jpg

(this one maybe through binoculars!) :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. I think that these plant based meat alternatives use mainly soy so hopefully mainly protein. So, let’s save the planet by cutting out animal farming and animal flatulence and cover the planet in soy and increase human flatulence - hang on, where has all that natural fertilizer gone??

This is in line with what I read last night about plant-based "milk" -- an article that said dairy cows are unnecessary, as are the gases they emit; unlike the water they drink, which could be put to better use nourishing almond trees so that we can all drink almond "milk" (no mention of all the people who have nut allergies ... )

A few days ago I thought about posting this question on this thread:
"Does having diabetes ever make you feel like a vegetarian in a cowboy world?" -- with the emphasis on humor -- but right now I am thinking that that question has a somewhat sinister ring to it, which I did not intend ...

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @DJC3 & @PenguinMum back from the clinic & not a bad result...just a little too high but I have two weeks grace before the next one...I am exhausted did some food shopping on the way back & spotted some Licky Lix yoghurt tubes for cats & kittens similar to Frubes for kids...I tore open the tube & squeezed out the yoghurt stuff immediately there was a frenzy...Charlie got the hang and put the tube in his mouth...poor Lola got over excited & now has yoghurt on her ears her head & paws...now they are grooming each other...thank goodness at least I don't have to chase them with a towel!

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 & @PenguinMum back from the clinic & not a bad result...just a little too high but I have two weeks grace before the next one...I am exhausted did some food shopping on the way back & spotted some Licky Lix yoghurt tubes for cats & kittens similar to Frubes for kids...I tore open the tube & squeezed out the yoghurt stuff immediately there was a frenzy...Charlie got the hang and put the tube in his mouth...poor Lola got over excited & now has yoghurt on her rears her head & paws...now they are grooming each other...thank goodness at least I don't have to chase them with a towel!

Glad the test wasn’t too bad. Ah I wish you’d got a video of C&L and their treat! What do they put in it do you think, Is it tuna flavoured?

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah I wish you’d got a video of C&L and their treat! What do they put in it do you think, Is it tuna flavoured?
They were manic after the first taste DJC I'm lucky to have my fingers intact so no hope of a video...I bought two boxes one is chicken flavoured the other is as you rightly guessed tuna...no added sugar or preservatives and kitten friendly it's now my means to getting them off their room when I have to go out...they can't resist it

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hug for the nightmare. I had one too, which woke me early to an FBG of 8.1.
Its horrible isnt it and happening a lot lately. I wake up shaking in fear and it takes a mug of tea (after testing fbg first) to calm down. It seems to be after I have been awake in the early hours and fall back asleep again. Sending hugs to you too.

Reactions: gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were manic after the first taste DJC I'm lucky to have my fingers intact so no hope of a video...I bought two boxes one is chicken flavoured the other is as you rightly guessed tuna...no added sugar or preservatives and kitten friendly it's now my means to getting them off their room when I have to go out...they can't resist it
Thats very funny...low carb chicken and tuna yogurt...who knew! Could catch on though not for me..I struggle with yogurt of any sort. The little minxes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its horrible isnt it and happening a lot lately. I wake up shaking in fear and it takes a mug of tea (after testing fbg first) to calm down. It seems to be after I have been awake in the early hours and fall back asleep again. Sending hugs to you too.

I hadn’t realised your nightmares were that bad PM that must be terrifying, I wonder what’s causing them?

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats very funny...low carb chicken and tuna yogurt...who knew! Could catch on though not for me..I struggle with yogurt of any sort. The little minxes.
They are just so active PM...it's taken me by surprise like having a couple of naughty puppies I'm sure the yoghurt tubes will be a great help when I need to contain them...but they are so funny & sweet.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for the nightmares and prayers that you find a solution.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher another gorgeous painting loving the night sky above the trees.
Btw you have a very clever cat not just for his IT skills (cant believe I have just typed that lol) but he has worked out how to get you to do things for him that he should be able to do for himself. Like a naughty toddler asserting themselves I think you must be firm. He knows he is very loved. My previous Ginger would only drink water from the tap. The first time he showed interest I fell for it and it then became a habit he demanded ignoring his bowl! I had a hell of a job turning it around when he couldnt climb up in old age. I am more firm with these two except the chair scratching which I shout no but if I’m out....cats always rule.:cat:

Thank you @PenguinMum

He knows I can't hear him when I don't have my speech processor on, so to get my attention he butts me in the nose (especially when I am asleep...he got banished to the kitchen and the door shut last night in the early hours...). He was upset with me this morning when I opened the kitchen door and let me know it...

When I put my speech processor on, he watches, then once it's in and attached to my head, then the Miaows begin. He gets very vocal with me.

I have managed nearly all my life without ever hearing a cat Miaow, and now I have to listen to his constant conversation...I am now learning catspeak...

Reactions: DJC3

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum hug for the nightmare. I had one too, which woke me early to an FBG of 8.1.

@gennepher Popeye's tracking you down around the bungalow reminds me of my old black Smokey coming to sit on my windowsill to listen for my alarm clock before moving to the door to be let in. The other day I was talking with a neighbor about cockroaches and mice, and I mentioned that "my cat" has "an internet friend" who catches mice and eats them. My neighbor was impressed, but, like anyone else not of this thread, has no idea who my cat's "cat friend" is, or where, or how my cat "knows" of this feline hunter, or that this thread is indeed a thread and not some "social media" site.
I love the painting. Thank you for posting it. I think it would look very good on your wall.

@Auto E I like the optimism of the idea of a 5-year plan. :) Mine is to have lost weight again -- enough to want another pair of Levi's 501 jeans if they're still made, and to be able to get up on (and down from!) a horse again, and to live where I can see some of these from my window:

4028476303_88b53d799a_b.jpg

477981710.jpg

(this one maybe through binoculars!) :)

Hi @SaskiaKC

Your neighbour probably thought the cats Skyped each other.

When I am on Skype with my daughter in Australia, her cat comes to the screen and looks at us, and Popeye comes in front of my screen and looks at Frankie ...Popeye does not leave the Skype screen until the call is over...

Levi's sound good!

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a great day if you can, rub some dubbing on your footwear if you can’t.
I certainly needed to rub some dubbing on my footwear today, although I'm not sure it works on plastic based shoes.

IMG_2406.JPG

I was a very wet Muddy Cyclist, my friend put me through 4 hours of hill climbing, stream crossing and mud plugging he's fit, does gravel races, tells me he's good for me because he takes me out of my comfort zone. The bottom picture is to show the sun did shine, for 2 minutes, the rest was dull, wet and windy. Did I enjoy it YES! What were my BG readings after this activity 5.4 don't know if that's good bad or ugly. :)

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 7.2

My reading is up, I think, because I forgot to have my beef broth mid afternoon yesterday. Or it may be something else?

late in posting today (for me!)

Cat is very clingy at the mo. He is fine, eating well, still hunts (even though he is 27 years old) catching mice and eating them, but he seems to think I am his slave for his every whim. He even sits by the cat flap and looks at me silently with big wide eyes until I bend down and hold the cat flap open...Then to come back in he goes round the bungalow to see which room I am in, and sits outside beseeching me to open the window and let him him...then when he comes in he sits on my tablet or phone, whatever I am using...he has been known to use his paw pads to alter my message, or send an unfinished email...he even made a Skype video call on Sunday...which fortunately didn't get answered...

Up early as usual.
Done my daily painting challenge.
Acrylics. A3 sized.

I do like this one...very much. It might go on my bedroom wall. I do like painting in blues, and a limited palette. The whole thing was painted with the 3 different sized men's shaving brushes I have, and a thin rigger brush for the trunk and branches and moon. Stars were splattered on with a toothbrush. It was so relaxing to paint.

Back in bed with cat. I need a morning nap...

Have a good day.
Enjoy life.
Hugs if you need them.

View attachment 37679
Fantastic! Big brushes, Old credit cards all great for Acrylics. You are quite inspiring I do love those trees, those Chinese Painting Lessons certainly suited your style, love it.

I have to ask, 3 men's shaving brushes, do they know, are they missing them? :joyful:

Reactions: trick60 and DJC3

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 for me this morning.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and funnies about my doc experience. I knew y'all would understand. :)

You know, I finally lost 30 pounds thanks to low-carb. My blood pressure went from mild hypertension to downright low sometimes! My knees stopped hurting and I took up running again. My energy level is so much better. I guess blood sugar control is not the only thing I should focus on. There has been much good occurring in my life since I went low-carb. And honestly for most of the past two years I've been just moderate low carb. Since getting the CGM in November, I've tightened up further as I saw how very sensitive to carbs I really am. I'm enjoying my food and I don't feel deprived. So on this rainy morning I will count my blessings, stay the course, and be thankful for the internet and supportive forums like this!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic! Big brushes, Old credit cards all great for Acrylics. You are quite inspiring I do love those trees, those Chinese Painting Lessons certainly suited your style, love it.

I have to ask, 3 men's shaving brushes, do they know, are they missing them? :joyful:

I 'borrowed' them a very long time ago....

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen how is rhe pump going, is it making life any easier? X
hi penguinmum some days its fine other days not so good i think im gonna be one of them people who is better on injections i had much better control i am getting a lot of highs with the the pump despite tweaking insulin doses il give it till 28th when i have my pump appointment if its still hit and miss its gotta go although it has been great not having to inject but you do have to change pump pods every 3 days and it doesnt work very well on my stomach i cant put it on my thighs cos i wear a lot of skinny jeans or leggings and you would see the shape of pod thanks for asking penguinmum x

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My fbg this morning was 4.8 thats after being 4.2 at bedtime last night.

I had a while ago determined to relax my rather austere diet allowing my self up to 130 gms of carbs a day and upping my calories a bit as well the result of that was 2 kg put on and rising blood sugars so have gone back to previouse levels and am going to rethink my priorities.

Talking of painting and such was reminded that Judith's uncle did some painting and sketching during the second world war.

Many done from first hand experience of the Battle of Britain when ground crew in the RAF and from when he was a Japanese prisoner of war.

This is one of his.

Battle of Brirain.jpg