Recently diagnosed

Derek1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newbie first post. Had blood tests a week ago and found out on 8/1/2020 that I had type 2 diabetes. Came as a bit of a shock but slowly coming to terms with the situation. Stumbled across this group while doing some internet digging about diabetes in general and it looks as though it can answer the bulk of my questions. So here's to looking forward and a lifestyle change.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have come to the best place for help and support for diabetics. It is very common to feel overwhelmed and emotional about the diagnosis.

I have put a link below that has a lot of information

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Read around and ask questions.

The first thing that I recommend is to buy yourself a meter and get ready top regularly test your blood sugar levels. I started off testing first thing in the morning (fasting) before every meal and two hours afterwards.

Your meter is the thing that will allow you to make decisions about what your body can tolerate in terms of food.

More people will be here shortly- it really is an amazing site full of information and people who are prepared to help.

Welcome

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Derek1968

welcome to the 'Best Little Club No One WANTS to Join" in the world.

agree with @VashtiB .

maybe post up your normal day meals, might help other point out whats good right now that you eat, and what needs swapping out for better choices.

as ever it's the meter that helps you decide what foods impact YOU the worst.
so meter up, test and then begin eliminating those choices that cause the most hurt.

you have a huge amount of people able and willing on here to offer advise, guidance and the occasional hug or well done, when the day gets a little tougher then expected..been there, done that.

good luck on your journey.
do stop and ask questions,
some one will have the right answer for you,

Derek1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Derek1968

welcome to the 'Best Little Club No One WANTS to Join" in the world.

agree with @VashtiB .

maybe post up your normal day meals, might help other point out whats good right now that you eat, and what needs swapping out for better choices.

as ever it's the meter that helps you decide what foods impact YOU the worst.
so meter up, test and then begin eliminating those choices that cause the most hurt.

you have a huge amount of people able and willing on here to offer advise, guidance and the occasional hug or well done, when the day gets a little tougher then expected..been there, done that.

good luck on your journey.
do stop and ask questions,
some one will have the right answer for you,

Was given a tee2+ meter by the nurse at my GP surgery on diagnosis, they were fantastic with me. My hba1c was up at 100 apparently, they were shocked I haven't had a more recent blood test since 2017. They have prescribed Metrormin and Gliclazide with a dietary change too. Thanks for the welcome guys.

Reactions: Spy184 and jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. Going low carb will definitely bring your numbers down, but be careful with the glicazide in case of hypos.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was given a tee2+ meter by the nurse at my GP surgery on diagnosis, they were fantastic with me. My hba1c was up at 100 apparently, they were shocked I haven't had a more recent blood test since 2017. They have prescribed Metrormin and Gliclazide with a dietary change too. Thanks for the welcome guys.
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a little quick-start guide, could tide you over while you research more of this. Just like @xfieldok said though, careful with the diet changes. Gliclazide can cause hypo's when combined with low carbing. So do stock up on those test strips, you're going to need them. (Good that they gave you a meter that uses cheap strips! I am impressed with your surgery!)

Reactions: Derek1968

Derek1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the information. It is a lot to take in and digest. I will get my head round it and groups like this along with family and friends has put me onto a positive path. Baby steps. Thanks again for all the help with the links and advise for a newbie pretty much ignorant to the condition.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Derek1968

Another warm welcome. Its early days and you need time to to adjust to the new you. It sounds like you have great support from family and friends.

Have a good look round and you will find the answers to all of the questions you will have.

Take advantage of your meter and you will soon learn what you need to cut out. A good start is to dump sugar in tea/coffee, fizzy pop, cakes, chocs, sweets, potatoes and pasta. Once the basics are consigned to the bin, you can fine tune your eating and will find great advice on here.

Good luck on the start of your new journey.

Derek1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood sugar levels starting to come down, probably down to the mixture of meds and diet. Got a tempting week ahead on a holiday. Been told to up my Metformin to 2/day after 5 days. Question, if my levels drop under 10 do I still keep to 2 tabs or drop back to 1.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep on the meds unless you have bathroom issues. If you go under 10, throw a low carb party.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood sugar levels starting to come down, probably down to the mixture of meds and diet. Got a tempting week ahead on a holiday. Been told to up my Metformin to 2/day after 5 days. Question, if my levels drop under 10 do I still keep to 2 tabs or drop back to 1.

The metformin wont lower your levels too much, its like a background help so keep the dosage. (My numbers are very low now and im keeping the dosage going for now)

When you get your diet and activity under control it will be the Gliclazide to target reducing - but this will need to be in conjunction with your GP.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd maybe hold off for a week when it comes to upping the dosage. It could cause you to be locked in the bathroom for a week or two, and I personally wouldn't risk it during a holiday. If you want to up the dosage, consider waiting until you're home again. But from the sound of it you might not need any upping as it is...

Derek1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started to have "bathroom issues" today (day 4) after taking Metformin 1 and glicazide 1. Will stick at 1 each until it settles down. Thank you. Will up it to 2 when I get home. Cheers for the guidance.

Derek1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, 4 weeks since my initial diagnosis and my first appointment with my DSN. Seemed happy with my progress, glucose levels are dropping, lost 2.6kg in weight and took a sample of the red stuff. All in all a pretty positive appointment. Keeping on the Metformin and Gliclazide until my levels stabilise but feeling ok. Can't thank everyone on here enough for the help, advise and guidance through my first month.

Reactions: phaedree