Diagnosed yesterday

Lee.m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians
Totally confused I felt unwell 2wks ago. Phoned doctors had blood test now diagnosed with t2 so at the moment very confused.

Reactions: KennyA

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally confused I felt unwell 2wks ago. Phoned doctors had blood test now diagnosed with t2 so at the moment very confused.
Hello, and welcome, @Lee.m
Confused seems completely right a day after getting diagnosed with diabetes, and it'll get better the more you read about it :)
Here's a useful link to get you started, and please come back with any question you have!
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Below my post are a couple more links that may be useful to you.
Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing ;)

Reactions: MrPeaky

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

You have landed in an amazing place to help/advise/support thats for sure.

Anything you need to know/want to know just ask, people will be along shortly who know much more than me (8 weeks since Diagnosis)

What have the Docs said your next steps are?

Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, I'm a month ahead of you. This forum is incredibly helpful and I've seen real changes in a very short time. Best of luck and read up on the low carb/ high fat approach. It's working for me, but everyone's different.

Reactions: ByeBye

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're at the point the bulk of us started from. And quite a few of us have managed to wrap our heads around it eventually (It does take a while, especially after a shock-diagnosis, as that throws one for a loop). So do take your time and learn what you can.
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a bit of a quick-start-guide I put together, with everything I wish someone'd told me when I was just diagnosed and honestly, scared out of my mind. Take away some hope from that: It does get better and diabetes can be managed perfectly fine. Especially if you're willing to work at it. You'll be okay.

Hugs,
Jo

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You're at the point the bulk of us started from. And quite a few of us have managed to wrap our heads around it eventually (It does take a while, especially after a shock-diagnosis, as that throws one for a loop). So do take your time and learn what you can.
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a bit of a quick-start-guide I put together, with everything I wish someone'd told me when I was just diagnosed and honestly, scared out of my mind. Take away some hope from that: It does get better and diabetes can be managed perfectly fine. Especially if you're willing to work at it. You'll be okay.

Hugs,
Jo

I wish I had that guide too when I was diagnosed, instead it was aim for 300g of carbs a day and all meals should be built on a solid foundation of starch. Everything just got worse, what a surprise. Then I started educating myself ad learning as much as I could.... far better off now on a LC approach over the last 10 yrs and mostly keto these days.

Great advice piece, @JoKalsbeek

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

As previous people have said you have come to the right place. There is a lot to learn but you don't have to do it all at once. Read around the site and ask questions- people here are very willing to help and lend an ear.

It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and have a lot of emotions but know this you will get through this and many on here say that the diagnosis has turned into a great thing as there health has improved dramatically after following low carb

For now- the best piece of advice is to get a blood glucose testing meter. Many doctors do not advise you to get one but it will become your best friend. It is really the only way to know how the food you are eating is effecting your body.

Good luck and welcome