1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diagnosed yesterday

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Lee.m, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Lee.m

Lee.m Type 2 · Newbie

Totally confused I felt unwell 2wks ago. Phoned doctors had blood test now diagnosed with t2 so at the moment very confused.

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello, and welcome, @Lee.m
    Confused seems completely right a day after getting diagnosed with diabetes, and it'll get better the more you read about it :)
    Here's a useful link to get you started, and please come back with any question you have!
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Below my post are a couple more links that may be useful to you.
    Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrPeaky

MrPeaky Type 2 (in remission!) · Active Member

Hi,

You have landed in an amazing place to help/advise/support thats for sure.

Anything you need to know/want to know just ask, people will be along shortly who know much more than me (8 weeks since Diagnosis)

What have the Docs said your next steps are?

• Like Like x 2
  4. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 · Active Member

Welcome, I'm a month ahead of you. This forum is incredibly helpful and I've seen real changes in a very short time. Best of luck and read up on the low carb/ high fat approach. It's working for me, but everyone's different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You're at the point the bulk of us started from. And quite a few of us have managed to wrap our heads around it eventually (It does take a while, especially after a shock-diagnosis, as that throws one for a loop). So do take your time and learn what you can.
    https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a bit of a quick-start-guide I put together, with everything I wish someone'd told me when I was just diagnosed and honestly, scared out of my mind. Take away some hope from that: It does get better and diabetes can be managed perfectly fine. Especially if you're willing to work at it. You'll be okay.

Hugs,
    Jo

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I wish I had that guide too when I was diagnosed, instead it was aim for 300g of carbs a day and all meals should be built on a solid foundation of starch. Everything just got worse, what a surprise. Then I started educating myself ad learning as much as I could.... far better off now on a LC approach over the last 10 yrs and mostly keto these days.

Great advice piece, @JoKalsbeek

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

As previous people have said you have come to the right place. There is a lot to learn but you don't have to do it all at once. Read around the site and ask questions- people here are very willing to help and lend an ear.

It is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and have a lot of emotions but know this you will get through this and many on here say that the diagnosis has turned into a great thing as there health has improved dramatically after following low carb

For now- the best piece of advice is to get a blood glucose testing meter. Many doctors do not advise you to get one but it will become your best friend. It is really the only way to know how the food you are eating is effecting your body.

Good luck and welcome

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook