Joined the club...

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lotties,
It is fairly unlikely that High Protein is hampering your fasting BG.
A). Fasting BG is usually influenced more by how big your liver dup is (aka Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the Floor syndrome) rather than your then long prior meal.

B). The body tries to use protein for (re)building and is reluctant to use it for fuel. This is because it produces less fuel and is harder/longer to process than Carbs or Fat.
Quite a few members are on a Carnivore 'Way Of Eating' yet are in long-term Ketosis. So you would have to be eating a lot of meat to have much of an effect on your FBG. However do you account for the carbs in any sauces that you may be using with your stewed meat?
Sauce. Sauce? SAUCE!!? Drool. :). I miss some sauces, Ian.
Seriously, I am a very basic eater and cook. Meat fried in plain fat with salt and low carb veg or stewed in a pressure cooker with a small portion of onion and water. Or homemade pork scatchings as snacks - only salt. I like fried suet, too.
My consultant supects fatty liver-highly likely after 2 years of being essentially a fruitarian about 4 years ago - what we do to our health trying to eat clean and healthily, gah!
I wasn't aware of liver dumps before coming to the forum. I'll research the phenomenon.
Yesterday, I had a few moments of weakness with Xmas fruit-flavoured candy canes and ate so many calories of fat and meat (about 1000 more) because the canes gave me the munchies. The liver dump hypothesis is ringing true as this morning my fasting bg was 5.1 at 7.30am although I woke at 2.30am and awake for a couple of hours and only dozed from then on, whereas it has been rock steady around 6.5 previously. It was 6.5 at 6pm after I had fasted all day. I hope it just the liver 'unfatting'!
I'll try out more carbs versus less carbs to see if there is a pattern. Bg went up to around 10 on 2 candy canes, ~18g carbs.
Carnivore is somethIng I did a couple weeks ago when I got overenthusiastic at the butchers ;) I tried to keep protein to around 70g and fat twice that. Was that roughly the right carnivore approach ? Skin and gums not so impressed though.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Carnivore is somethIng I did a couple weeks ago when I got overenthusiastic at the butchers ;) I tried to keep protein to around 70g and fat twice that. Was that roughly the right carnivore approach ? Skin and gums not so impressed though.

I haven't ever done a Carnivore Way Of Eating although I have had a few Low Carb Higher Protein days - mostly when eating out with friends. But I always have at least some leafy green veg, berries or nuts.

Regarding High Protein 70gms may be 'slightly higher protein' but definitely not 'High Protein' since that works out at around 280 Calories (Protein ah the same Calories per Gram as do Carbs (4). However 140gms of fat does sound High Fat since fat has 9 calories per 1gm. that would work out at around 67% of a 2000 calorie per day regime.

Of course you may be eating a lot less that 2000 Calories per day because of Ideal Body Weight and a desire for weight reduction. Most meat is about 33% protein and for chicken breast (a very lean meat) most of the rest is water. Similarly a high fat hard cheese such as cheddar is again around 33% pure fat and 25% pure Protein.

When I have a higher protein day then I am eating between 100gms and 150gms of Protein.
On a High Fat day I may go as high as 200gms of fat though usually lower than that.

SouthCoastBoy

Hello again. So here's the big twist in my curious tale of going low carb, losing loads of weight, feeling so much better, but getting worse results.

The DN rang me yesterday, I assumed to set up an appointment for the next level in my diabetes progression. Instead, she rang me to say well done and have a great Xmas. Turns out the information I was given last week was wrong, my hb1ac has in fact dropped from 59 to 40!

I was gobsmacked to say the least. I spent four days worrying, confused, reading all the posts here, trying to make sense of if. I apologise to those good folks who sent very helpful advice, much of which I will take anyway.

So I travel in hope, re-committed to the low carb lifestyle, a bit annoyed at the worry, but happy with how things are going and certainly glad I got a call before Xmas. I know this is a lifestyle change and not a done deal.

Reactions: KennyA and DJC3

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again. So here's the big twist in my curious tale of going low carb, losing loads of weight, feeling so much better, but getting worse results.

The DN rang me yesterday, I assumed to set up an appointment for the next level in my diabetes progression. Instead, she rang me to say well done and have a great Xmas. Turns out the information I was given last week was wrong, my hb1ac has in fact dropped from 59 to 40!

I was gobsmacked to say the least. I spent four days worrying, confused, reading all the posts here, trying to make sense of if. I apologise to those good folks who sent very helpful advice, much of which I will take anyway.

So I travel in hope, re-committed to the low carb lifestyle, a bit annoyed at the worry, but happy with how things are going and certainly glad I got a call before Xmas. I know this is a lifestyle change and not a done deal.
Great news!
A bit of a shame that the they caused a lot of avoidable stress but at least they fessed up. Now you can enjoy Xmas and swan into the new year!!

Reactions: DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome

Dont feel ashamed. General living tends to push us towards a less healthy lifestyle.. its what you do now that will help your future and losing a bit of weight doesn't mean having to starve yourself it's simply means a healthier diet

When I though I was a T2 and was struggling with hunger issues I would snack on stuff that had little impact on my blood sugars and there a plenty of low carb options for that

I'm in Southampton and my care team has only ever been very helpful never looked down on me when my hba1c has been too high just offered suggestions on how I might fix the issue.

The fact you are here and reading up on the issue shows you care.. carry on and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that can get it under control
Could I make a small request.. now that you have been correctly diagnosed could you update your handle to say T1 rather than T2 just so we know where you are coming from?
Many thanks.

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the information I was given last week was wrong, my hb1ac has in fact dropped from 59 to 40!
I hope you hit the roof.. first with joy and then with anger..
How the hell could they get it so wrong...
I think a question to the Chief partner could be in order..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So I’m wondering if it was 5.9% rather than 59mmol! 5.9% is just about 40mmol.
But a nice Christmas present regardless despite the worrying confusion. Well done and enjoy (a low carb) Christmas. I echo making a point about the misinformation to the practice manager.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb mate, it's the way to go. I found that just trying to find things that are a bit close to what I really enjoy makes it easier and less like you;re giving everything up. Chocolate = Atkins bars, Crisps = pork scratchings etc. The only thing is alcohol, esp beer. Let's just say I'm glad the Rugby World Cup is on in the mornings...
Hey fella I know this is an old post but saw about the beer and ......Asda are stocking Michelob Ultra now which is only 2g carbs per 330ml bottle.They have plenty of these ultra low beers stateside but they are slowly making it over here.Now I don’t know what type of beer you used to enjoy but hey it’s a start!

SouthCoastBoy

Hey fella I know this is an old post but saw about the beer and ......Asda are stocking Michelob Ultra now which is only 2g carbs per 330ml bottle.They have plenty of these ultra low beers stateside but they are slowly making it over here.Now I don’t know what type of beer you used to enjoy but hey it’s a start!
Good idea, cheers mate!

SouthCoastBoy

Hi @SouthCoastBoy I’ve only just seen your post so I’m a bit late to the party but wanted to add my encouragement. You’ve already lost a lot of weight so that’s brilliant and could be the cause of a temporary rise in your cholesterol levels. Have a look at this:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics
I completely agree with the others here that a glucose meter is essential for you to figure out what is causing spikes in your bg levels. Your fasting level at the surgery was good btw. Test immediately prior to eating and at 2 hrs. If you get a spike of more than 2 mmol don’t have that meal again or make some portion or low carb substitution adjustments.
You already mentioned trying some intermittent fasting which sounds like an excellent plan to get the weight loss stall off the ground again and bring your HbA1c down.
You’ve done really well so far in making the changes you have. Stick with us and keep reading.

Edit for typo
Thanks DJC3. So here's the further twist in this tale. Got a call from the doc this week to discuss my cholesterol. As I posted before, I was told mid December that my hba1c had gone up from 55 to 58 and my cholesterol from 5.6 to 6.3, despite losing now 20kg on the keto lifestyle.

So as I posted earlier, the hba1c info was wrong and is actually now 40, the doc this week told me my cholesterol is not 6.3 it is 5.0! Think I might need to change docs...

Anyway the journey continues, I'm now off the hook on medical follow up appointments, and am more determined than ever to live the keto lifestyle and keep these numbers in check. Thanks again for this wonderful forum, best thing ever.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So as I posted earlier, the hba1c info was wrong and is actually now 40, the doc this week told me my cholesterol is not 6.3 it is 5.0! Think I might need to change docs...
Sounds like a great reason to sign up for online tests results.. they seem to come direct from the lab and don't require interpretation by anyone..

Reactions: SouthCoastBoy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a great reason to sign up for online tests results.. they seem to come direct from the lab and don't require interpretation by anyone..
Mine are uploaded by the surgery after the dr has approved them

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are uploaded by the surgery after the dr has approved them
I think mine were uploaded direct by the hospital that does the testing.. at least the blood/urine was taken on Tuesday morning and by end of day Wednesday the urine and some of the blood results were there. On Thursday morning the cholesterol results were back and by yesterday evening the HbA1c had snuck in amongst the other results. I doubt anyone at the surgery has seen them although the cholesterol flagged up so am having the "phone consultation" with the doc in a couple of weeks. A new victim!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the cholesterol flagged up so am having the "phone consultation" with the doc in a couple of weeks. A new victim!

Id quite like to eavesdrop on that conversation. Poor doc, doesn’t know what’s about to happen!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DJC3. So here's the further twist in this tale. Got a call from the doc this week to discuss my cholesterol. As I posted before, I was told mid December that my hba1c had gone up from 55 to 58 and my cholesterol from 5.6 to 6.3, despite losing now 20kg on the keto lifestyle.

Anyway the journey continues, I'm now off the hook on medical follow up appointments, and am more determined than ever to live the keto lifestyle and keep these numbers in check. Thanks again for this wonderful forum, best thing ever.

I agree, A change of doc is in order. Double error whammy isn’t acceptable. Well done for what you have achieved.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think mine were uploaded direct by the hospital that does the testing.. at least the blood/urine was taken on Tuesday morning and by end of day Wednesday the urine and some of the blood results were there. On Thursday morning the cholesterol results were back and by yesterday evening the HbA1c had snuck in amongst the other results. I doubt anyone at the surgery has seen them although the cholesterol flagged up so am having the "phone consultation" with the doc in a couple of weeks. A new victim!
Mmm, yes sometimes mine appear quickly some not. I didn’t think the nhs it systems were integrated enough to bypass the upload. Maybe they are. I do know some results have been “withheld” until the hcp at the surgery has spoken with me, hence my belief it’s them that upload.

Please report back on the “consultation” we all need entertainment from time to time

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm, yes sometimes mine appear quickly some not. I didn’t think the nhs it systems were integrated enough to bypass the upload. Maybe they are. I do know some results have been “withheld” until the hcp at the surgery has spoken with me, hence my belief it’s them that upload.

Please report back on the “consultation” we all need entertainment from time to time

I will
This is what my records say...

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 22.28.05.png

No idea why it says non fasting ... but the 'Abnormal, but expected" part is interesting..
Maybe they think they know something I don't..