1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Joined the club...

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by SouthCoastBoy, Sep 5, 2019.

1. SouthCoastBoy

SouthCoastBoy · Member

I'm 56, have been overweight all my adult life (16st 8 currently) but exercise regularly. After years of 'high normal' BG readings, then pre-diabetes readings three years ago, my a1c came back as 55 yesterday... I'm due to meet the DN in about a month. I do not know what to expect.
    Firstly, thanks so much for this Forum, I spent a lot of the day being scared, ashamed, guilty, sometimes comforted and all the other responses you'd expect, but my day would have been so much worse without being able to read your stories, advice and information.
    I'm taking this as a more than the kicks up the behind my previous readings have (temporarily) been. It's time to make permanent change, not just token efforts for a while. As a yo yo dieter, I'm most at home with losing weight through low carb, so thanks to everyone who has given advice on this lifestyle in the context of T2. I fear not being able to get this under control and all the bad stuff that means, but I can understand the views of some on here who regard this as a start of a new long-term healthy life, and as such as a positive thing (although it doesn't feel that way at the moment).
    Thanks for taking me in, look forward to taking your advice and, in time as my journey progresses, to helping others do the same.

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @SouthCoastBoy and welcome!

You are definitely in the right place for advice and support. Sounds like you’re ready to make a change - hopefully you’ll join another club, those who feel the diagnosis was a blessing in disguise.

The key to all this is what you eat - many of us have had great success by reducing carbohydrates.

I’m linking to some useful information for newbies, including diet - have a good read and come back with as many questions as you like.
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Hi and welcome.
    You sounds a bit like a much lighter me!
    I was 23 stone when diagnosed and am now nudging the scales at around 14 st.
    Good luck on your journey..
    My HbA1c on diagnosis was 87 mmol/m so your 55 is not so bad!
    Ask any questions and someone will be along to answer..

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #3 bulkbiker, Sep 5, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. sheilaslims

sheilaslims Type 2 · Newbie

Hi and welcome, I think you've come to the right place and I am sure people will help you. Its a frightening illness and the more I read, the more it frightens me. Way forward, get your head around the meal plans, I haven't as yet but I've paid so I must! Good luck!
    I'm a scared newbie and struggling to get my head round this. I am out to my last scheduled lunch today and from tomorrow I intend to fully embrace this diet. I need to spend time this website learning as sadly, my DN is still pushing hard with the high carb route. She actually made me even more scared and I've dithered about not knowing what to do. I need to talk to someone who has lost a lot of weight on this programme and know their bloods and lipids are fine I think, for the confidence. Take care.

• Hug Hug x 3
  5. Goonergal

Staff Member

I am one of them, and there are many others. You’d probably be best setting up your own thread to ask about that so that you get more replies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

If you're already familliar with low carb, it's worth it to delve deeper into the relation of carbs to your bloodsugars.... You have a background, so you won't be as clueless as some of us were (Read: Me. :) ). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ will help, but The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung is really the way to go. It is the best way, if you ask me that is, to get control of your diabetes and weight. I've been complication- and medication free for 3 years almost... Started low carbing soon after diagnosis. It's a good method, whether you go for regular low carb/high fat, keto and/or intermittent fasting. You'll find what works best for you.

I thought I was going to lose my legs and die. Turns out my life's better now than it was 3 years ago, even with other medical, non-related issues cropping up. *shrug*. It gets better. Diagnosis is a kick in the head, but you'll be able to tackle this. And once you see the numbers change, you'll get the same sense of empowerment a lot of us here have felt.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Club.

My Hba1c was 108 when diagnosed at the end of May and has now come down to a lot more respectable numbers, thanks to the advice on here. Yours could be a lot worse.

I am at 55 now (Same as you) and still going down towards the magical figures. (Watch this space in a month or two :))

Whatever you do - Do Not feel ashamed or guilty. Feeling scared is only natural, but follow the right advice and I am sure that you will be fine.

Between now and when you see your DN in a months time, cut out as much sugar as you can and reduce your intake of carbs.

Good luck on the start of your journey.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #7 Route 66, Sep 5, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. JoKalsbeek

I did it. My cholesterol has good ratio's and is fine (no-one's pushing statins on me anymore, yay!), and while I am still a bit bigger than I'd prefer to be due to other issues, I'm no longer morbidly obese. (That was about 25 kilo's ago). I can see my toes, and I can put on my shoes without my belly crushing my lungs. And my bloodsugars are solidly in the normal range, and have been since starting low carb. Before I did that, I'd see 18's, maybe 20's after lunch. These days I'm usually somewhere around 5. :) I went LCHF first, then progressed to keto and intermittent fasting. It just worked better for me to always go for the lowest amount of carbs where possible. (I kept miscalculating when I did have carbs.). So yeah.... It can be done. :)https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help a little once the meal plans runs out.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. SouthCoastBoy

SouthCoastBoy · Member

Wow, what a great place this is, thanks so much for your kind words. I'm definitely back on low carbs, but my problem in the past on low carb is that I have been taking in loads of protein and not really going high fat, as it seems counter-intuitive. It has worked as a weight-reduction means, though, more than all the other diets I have been on. I read that high protein levels can cause gluconeogenesis, which could be an issue in blood sugar levels, and another article saying no problem to eat loads of protein! Aargh!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Goonergal

Staff Member

You just need to experiment to see what works for you. I eat virtually no plant matter, a lot of protein and a lot of fat and haven’t found gluconeogenesis to be a significant problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. JoKalsbeek

Like @Goonergal says, it's a personal thing. I don't notice protein doing much glucogenesis for me, but for others, their bloodsugars are influenced quite a bit. The fat seems counter intuitive, because it's what we've been told is bad for soooo long. But fats are a blood glucose flatline, besides keeping us from going hungry and providing vital nutrients. And no glucogenesis. Better yet, it mitigates the effect of the carbs you do ingest, so you don't peak as hard and as fast as you might have. If you feel uncomfortable with fats, try going for the ones you must know are inherently good: avocado, olives/oil, fatty fish (with loads of omega oils and vitamin d!). We're not about to shove a barrel of butter down your throat... But maybe a wheel of full fat cheese.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. SouthCoastBoy

SouthCoastBoy · Member

Thanks, I definitely will!

13. SouthCoastBoy

SouthCoastBoy · Member

Thanks!

14. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Remember SouthCoastBoy that you need targets and goals. The overall objective is to get your A1Cs lower. Set targets for weight loss, exercising and most of all your daily carbs. You need to be testing bg levels several times a day to see what foods make your bg go higher and you can then keep away from them.
    In the last 12 months I have lost weight (nearly 35 lbs), cut my diabetic medication including stopping insulin and have my A1cs outside the diabetic range. I am not specifically high fat but this goes up proportionately when your carbs drop.
    Your pancreas may not get better but you can help its performance by reducing the carbs.
    Start the journey and know where you are heading.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Geezerene

Geezerene Type 2 · Newbie

Cheers Stephen, super helpful, thanks!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook