Reducing our carbon footprint BY dairy farming...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK. On the paper review tonight the Sun newspaper has a large spread on how unhealthy many vegan products are, with the focus on vegan eggs being 40 times more salty than the dairy counterpart. So it seems I was right this morning, but somewhat cairvoyant in that I saw tomorrows paper. At last there is signs of a fightback. We may save some cows after all.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just popping in again with my human evolutionary biological pov here - adaptation to other mammals' milk and the products of that cream and milk, has only been going on for about 10,000 years, and our species has been in full operation for something between 200,000 and 300,000 years. Drinking and eating other mammals' milk and dairy products has been going on for a mere drop in the homo sapiens timeline pool, as it were. Hence the 70% of dairy intolerant folk! A bro of mine is one of them and he can't eat any dairy products comfortably, not just the milk. Poor guy had a constant snivel throughout our childhood, and I won't even start on digestion issues.

Who is tolerant? Northern Europeans, parts of the Middle East, parts of India. Pitch in with other areas? That leaves an awful lot who aren't. (Um - scientifically/geographically speaking - ethnic-Brits are Europeans! We aren't talking trade relations here. :).)

And what were we eating? We humans pre horticulture and agriculture. For all all those hundreds of 1000s of years? Animals and birds, and water/sea creatures, birds' eggs, and whatever we could out off of bushes and trees and out of the ground growing there, wild. Starchy vegetables were a real find, I take it. As was fruit, and honey. And in the days before refined sugar and excess and processed carbs - our blood glucose system could well handle it. (Gee, I miss sweet potato/kuumara.) (But it's 28 degrees today so I am not missing it right now! More like - ice blocks!) (I am going to have to severely ration, as in just for a taste with mere tiny slivers of all those peaches growing out in my backyard....)

The milk? Our mother's, and any other woman's who happened to be looking after us who felt like it or took pity on a crying baby! Of course. While we were little.

That was real low carbon footprint times!

Reactions: jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
OK. On the paper review tonight the Sun newspaper has a large spread on how unhealthy many vegan products are, with the focus on vegan eggs being 40 times more salty than the dairy counterpart. So it seems I was right this morning, but somewhat cairvoyant in that I saw tomorrows paper. At last there is signs of a fightback. We may save some cows after all.
Unfortunately they are still looking at the wrong things!
It is not salt which causes the biggest problems with Blood Pressure - it is sugar, see Dr David Unwin's insightful video on that subject.
Salt is very similar to LDL cholesterol in that GPs talk as though there is no lower limit when in fact those with a higher level than advised by the WHO are proved to live longer than those in that achieve the target range!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately they are still looking at the wrong things!
It is not salt which causes the biggest problems with Blood Pressure - it is sugar, see Dr David Unwin's insightful video on that subject.
Salt is very similar to LDL cholesterol in that GPs talk as though there is no lower limit when in fact those with a higher level than advised by the WHO are proved to live longer than those in that achieve the target range!
Do you have evidence that high salt intake is not harmful apart from a single source.quotation. as one who suffers an electolyte imbalance I know firsthand that an imbalance either way has considerable risk to me in terms of heart and cvd risk. I assume by your linking salt to LDL that you are referring to the bathtub curve that some meta analysis has shown to represent mortality risk. I believe it for LDL levels since this was also discovered to be true from post mortem records examined by an Australiam heart surgeon and his team. But salt? not seen anything on that

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am copying a post that Indy51 made in another thread because it is relevant here too.

>>>>>
Quiet apart from reasons of taste, main reason I always choose animal products for protein is the science of the DIAAS score. Plant proteins don't even come close really, except maybe for soy (which comes with its own problems).

https://lentein.com/pdcaas-to-diaas-for-a-more-accurate-amino-acid-score/

Protein is even more important as we age if we're going to avoid osteoporosis, sarcopenia and maintain the lean muscle mass that will keep us on our feet instead of on the floor with broken bones.
<<<<<<<
To this I will add a study report that compares plant based protein against dairy protein, especially relating to children, and using both PDCAAS and DIAAS values,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28382889

Reactions: jjraak and Indy51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reads like a Disney Golden book @bulkbiker .... and they have lives??

Interesting that they don't seem to have included carbon sequestration by grazing animals.. which would imply that animal based protein is far less impactful than plant...

Also of course making the huge assumption that GHGE are in any way responsible for climate changes from food production too...

Reactions: Member496333

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An interesting perspective on where our food should come from

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep26074
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...w-journals-nature-science-cell-damage-science
Edit to add:
NCBI archive warns that papers published in Nature do not have any peer review or external oversight requirement, and have in the past proven to be unreliable, I have found that recently this online media source has a distinct bias and appears to be influenced by a pressure group. I have found several dubious scientific articles they recently published to show this bias and have commented as such in this Forum. Another suspect source is nutrition.org.

This is an old review, but discusses this in detail
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4528400/

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's lovely. Why?
I see a lot of it being produced. It also gets exported. I did wonder about its flavour and am yet to tase it. I tried to get my wife to eat some goats cheese as she has a problem with lactose but she wasn’t very keen on it. I assume sheep’s cheese might be similar in taste.

But I guess it all adds to the breadth of dairy derived protein available.

@Tipetoo I see a lot of English cheese heading for Australia.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone tried sheep’s cheese?
Sheep are still ruminants, and will be treated like the cows. Try goats cheese instead? Llama cheese? kangaroo cheese? Apparently we can get Bufffalo Cheese, Humboldt frog cheese, camel, donkey, horse, reindeer and yak.

Not sure how long these sources will remain available if the ruminants are culled. Note that the Diet to save the world does not have daity in it, but allows protein sources instead. This is already the case in Canada and Brazil abd France where their version of Eatwell has been edited to remove dairy and animal foods infavour of plant based protein instead.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can.../+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/tips-for-healthy-eating/make-healthy-meals-with-the-eat-well-plate/

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see a lot of it being produced. It also gets exported. I did wonder about its flavour and am yet to tase it. I tried to get my wife to eat some goats cheese as she has a problem with lactose but she wasn’t very keen on it. I assume sheep’s cheese might be similar in taste.

But I guess it all adds to the breadth of dairy derived protein available.

@Tipetoo I see a lot of English cheese heading for Australia.
Its a different taste and best approached as you would any new type of cheese. I find it a sharper taste, and not so smooth in feel, but there are several types of sheeps cheese. Has she tried sheeps milk too?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a different taste and best approached as you would any new type of cheese. I find it a sharper taste, and not so smooth in feel, but there are several types of sheeps cheese. Has she tried sheeps milk too?
No. She isn’t very adventurous :D
I will try the sheep’s cheese (Parlick) at some point, when I get a chance.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. She isn’t very adventurous :D
I will try the sheep’s cheese (Parlick) at some point, when I get a chance.
there are about 50 different sheeps cheeses, including Feta, which she may have tried before?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
there are about 50 different sheeps cheeses, including Feta, which she may have tried before?
Okay. Well I have eaten that a lot. I didn’t know it is made from sheep’s milk. Yes, nice with olives and lettuce etc.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually water vapour is the biggest culprit by far. It is the one noone recognises as a GHG but it is the worst. We use and waste water like there is no tomorrow. But it is precious and we need to consider how our profligate use is anthropogeneic as well. What we should be doing with it is actually to creat a national grid like the electric asupplies, and then use excess electricity to pump water into hydrolelectric dams for storage purposes. We should not be wasting lithium on batteries to store excess wind power, we should use water.

BTW: most methane lasts 10 years max in the atmosphere. What we should be doing is cap landfill and sewage works to capture the methane and burn it for fuel. they do this successfully in Amsterdam, so why not here in UK? On a more sombre note, why not use crematorium flue output for local heating. I for one would happily donate when my time comes. My local authority has no incinerator for burning waste, so it is shipped abroad at vast environmental cost. We should be burning plastic and paper waste and captuing the CO2 etc properly. The technology is here today, but the investment is not.

I am disgusted that my waste bin each week is 85% filled with useless packaging that I would dearly love to recycle for the planert, but cannot, there are things that I can recycle only by transporting them to the landfill site, such as batteries, but it is impossible on a mobility scooter, and a car journey would totally negate the carbon footprint gain.
Water vapour levels? Have they changed in the last few hundred years? If so then consider why. The biggest culprit is neither water vapour or domestic animal induced gases. I could go on but foresee derailment potential here.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)