Is it just me?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Is it just me or do others on here get fed up with Low Carb food? Lately I am finding that I don't fancy meat, berries, cream, cheese, etc I don't always make foods with almond flour, as I really don't think that its good to eat to much of it. Almond is nuts after all and can put weight on, plus have a constipation effect, so I stick to plain unprocessed foods, apart from bacon now and then. I am even sick of eggs. The only food that I am still enjoying is veg. Salad is an option for lunch, but getting fed up with that. I am not really a lover of nuts to be honest. Lunch time I open the fridge door about three times because I don't fancy meat or salad, eggs etc. I vary my food as much as I can on low carb, I have always made the effort with different ideas, but am just going off the same foods. Does anybody else go through this phase? Is this what they call a burn out?

Reactions: Serena51

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday and today, we had Thai green chicken curry, a few veg and beansprouts instead of rice or noodles. Found some Thai paste online with no sugar. Not had Thai since dx and it certainly hit the spot.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@derry60 , what are the foods you would like to eat? Maybe thinking about those could be of help in finding new foods that are appealing to you.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just me or do others on here get fed up with Low Carb food? Lately I am finding that I don't fancy meat, berries, cream, cheese, etc I don't always make foods with almond flour, as I really don't think that its good to eat to much of it. Almond is nuts after all and can put weight on, plus have a constipation effect, so I stick to plain unprocessed foods, apart from bacon now and then. I am even sick of eggs. The only food that I am still enjoying is veg. Salad is an option for lunch, but getting fed up with that. I am not really a lover of nuts to be honest. Lunch time I open the fridge door about three times because I don't fancy meat or salad, eggs etc. I vary my food as much as I can on low carb, I have always made the effort with different ideas, but am just going off the same foods. Does anybody else go through this phase? Is this what they call a burn out?
Hemmed in and restricted more like. But I have kind of got used to it. I have tried making home made low carb versions of popular foods but my skills aren’t great so home cooked versions have faltered. I made a keto pizza the other night. It looked the part but the texture of the base (almond flour) was a little odd.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No definitely not only you. I also have days where I really can't face meat, eggs, fish or cheese. I used to have a salad for lunch but have got sick of that too.

What I find helps me is to make a few things like keto custard, diet jelly, cauliflower and broccoli mash (with some spring onion and cheese). I've also found some small packets of nuts with some spices added- I feel safe with them as it is already portion controlled. I also try some different cheese- like truffle .

I feel your pain- you are not alone.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not just you. I eat an awful lot of eggs. I buy them 30 at a time. And at one point I just couldn't swollow another mouthful. Went without lunch that day, just tossed it. Happened a few more times until I switched around what I did with them (salmon omelettes instead of bacon cheese & sunny side up)... That got me going again. If you're not loving the food you're having, it's time to hit dietdoctor.com, this forum's food section or google keto foods... Ideas aplenty out there, and they could get you out of the current rut. Good luck!
Jo

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yesterday and today, we had Thai green chicken curry, a few veg and beansprouts instead of rice or noodles. Found some Thai paste online with no sugar. Not had Thai since dx and it certainly hit the spot.

Yeah, you learn to be creative with what you have. Plenty of ways to take something that may seem dull and turn it into a good tasty meal. That does sound good!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@derry60 - if you are a member of the Low Carb Programme, I suggest you have a look in there for ideas. There have been loads of new recipes added in more recent times, with lots of videos demonstrating "how-to" f you f el in any way underconfident experimenting.

Reactions: derry60

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
First I am not low carb, but this just happens to be, Just a suggestion for some alternatives. I eat a huge bowl of veggies for lunch (frozen it's easier) everyday with either tofu, seitan, tempeh for a protein. Then I add either Braggs aminos, nutritional yeast, gravy, alternative cheese, cashews, lemon, or various other "sauces" I have. A large bowl is easy and fast to make and only 12-20 carbs.

Half a bag of frozen veggies is 4-8 carbs depending on the blend, the tofu I use is 3 carbs for half a container. I also have a marinated seitan that is only 2 carbs. Depending on the topping of your choice it can add a few more carbs.

For something else interesting take some soft tofu and blend it with lemon or lime, or cocoa and sweetener of your choice for a luscious pudding that's low carb. I use Sweetleaf chocolate or lemon stevia drops to sweeten and flavor.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@derry60 have you tried foods that you like but are higher carb and then tested to see the effect? I’ve managed to maintain my hba1c at non diabetic levels for approx 6 years on between 100 - 130 carbs per day so am on the high end of low carb so am fairly lucky in that respects. I sometimes have toast and marmalade for b/fast with low carbish bread (10g per slice), loads of butter and v thinly spread jam or marmalade. I have also started having the occasional jacket potato - I have tested both of these at least 3 times and found I am ok. In addition I am not adverse to having the occasional cake or helping others celebrate their special occasion. Whilst I appreciate this way of eating is not for everyone, because they either don’t want or are unable to, I find that being able to vary my diet this way means that I do have low carb days where I am happy eating salads, eggs, Greek yoghurt etc.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep I have done all that, and with Indian curries also. I have used beansprouts instead of noodles, and done Zoodles. I do a very varied diet as much as aloud on low carb. I have done some of diet docs food also. I think what it is, no matter how things are jazzed up it is still the same ingredients most of the time. For lunch today, I had cooked prawns with green beans, mushrooms, garlic, ginger spring onion, soy sauce. Now tonight I will have trouble thinking what to have. Maybe beef stew

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah, you learn to be creative with what you have. Plenty of ways to take something that may seem dull and turn it into a good tasty meal. That does sound good!
This is it, I am creative as I love to cook, but at the end of the day it is still the same ingredients for most of the foods we eat on low carb. Must admit, I do get fed up with seeing so much cheese in Keto recipes or almond flour, coconut flour. I think that I am missing my pulses, Couscous, Bulgur wheat lol. I am not bothered about chocolate or cakes, deserts. I did try a small portion of red kidney beans as they are low in carbs. I tested and was ok..I put them into a bowl, with celery, green beans, tomatoes with roasted peppers, then put a home made vinaigrette. I was in heaven, then tested. I was fine, so that is a plus.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not just you. I eat an awful lot of eggs. I buy them 30 at a time. And at one point I just couldn't swollow another mouthful. Went without lunch that day, just tossed it. Happened a few more times until I switched around what I did with them (salmon omelettes instead of bacon cheese & sunny side up)... That got me going again. If you're not loving the food you're having, it's time to hit dietdoctor.com, this forum's food section or google keto foods... Ideas aplenty out there, and they could get you out of the current rut. Good luck!
Jo
I have done prawn omelette, all sorts of omelettes. I do sit and think of different foods to have and ways to cook them. I have always loved cooking so will have a variety as much as allowed, but as I said on another post I am missing Couscous, pulses,. I am hoping this negative going off my food passes lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No definitely not only you. I also have days where I really can't face meat, eggs, fish or cheese. I used to have a salad for lunch but have got sick of that too.

What I find helps me is to make a few things like keto custard, diet jelly, cauliflower and broccoli mash (with some spring onion and cheese). I've also found some small packets of nuts with some spices added- I feel safe with them as it is already portion controlled. I also try some different cheese- like truffle .

I feel your pain- you are not alone.
I do the cauli and broccoli mash also. I stopped using the cheese as I did get get fed up with it. I did make a cauliflower and broccoli mash with onions and corned beef mashed. That was nice. I put it into a small oven dish with sliced beef tomatoes then put it into the oven to brown. I enjoyed that.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@derry60 , what are the foods you would like to eat? Maybe thinking about those could be of help in finding new foods that are appealing to you.
I do cook a variety of foods, and have done some from diet doc..I have always searched for recipes as there are plenty on the net, but many have the same ingredients. I don't think that it is good to have to much cheese and almond flour, coconut flour. To much of this will put weight on, plus can cause constipation. I miss my Pulses, Bulgur Wheat and Couscous. I have absolutely loads of veg, I have the fats, and all what I am supposed to have, but I am even getting sick of fats to be honest. I am hoping that this phase passes to be honest. I find that I am thinking about what to eat a lot, and is taking up to much of my thinking time lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@derry60 have you tried foods that you like but are higher carb and then tested to see the effect? I’ve managed to maintain my hba1c at non diabetic levels for approx 6 years on between 100 - 130 carbs per day so am on the high end of low carb so am fairly lucky in that respects. I sometimes have toast and marmalade for b/fast with low carbish bread (10g per slice), loads of butter and v thinly spread jam or marmalade. I have also started having the occasional jacket potato - I have tested both of these at least 3 times and found I am ok. In addition I am not adverse to having the occasional cake or helping others celebrate their special occasion. Whilst I appreciate this way of eating is not for everyone, because they either don’t want or are unable to, I find that being able to vary my diet this way means that I do have low carb days where I am happy eating salads, eggs, Greek yoghurt etc.
I have tried some kidney beans and made a lovely lunch with them adding salads and dressing in a bowl. I tested after and was find with that. I may try a potato and see what happens.

Reactions: Daphne917

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried some kidney beans and made a lovely lunch with them adding salads and dressing in a bowl. I tested after and was find with that. I may try a potato and see what happens.
You may be surprised at what you can eat - I find if I eat higher carb foods in moderation my BS is not affected. I had a jacket potato with chicken and bacon on Saturday and after 1 hour I was 8.00 but down to 6.5 at the 2 hour point so I was pleased with that result.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To mixed it up a bit @derry60 , why not do, say a week a month "travelling"? Have a Chinese week, or Spanish, or whatever, with menues based on Chinese/Spanish/Indian/Stateside flavours?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
This is it, I am creative as I love to cook, but at the end of the day it is still the same ingredients for most of the foods we eat on low carb. Must admit, I do get fed up with seeing so much cheese in Keto recipes or almond flour, coconut flour. I think that I am missing my pulses, Couscous, Bulgur wheat lol. I am not bothered about chocolate or cakes, deserts. I did try a small portion of red kidney beans as they are low in carbs. I tested and was ok..I put them into a bowl, with celery, green beans, tomatoes with roasted peppers, then put a home made vinaigrette. I was in heaven, then tested. I was fine, so that is a plus.

I'm not into the almond or coconut flour myself at all. I just won't even use it, the fibre really causes issues for me. I guess it could be a case of how long you've been low carbing for. The longer I went, the more I actually got used to eating similar things and enjoyed it, but we are all different when it comes to food. And by then I'd identified all the foods that caused problems. I don't care for the chocolate, cakes or desserts either. Dessert for me is greek yoghurt, with walnuts tossed in and home made berry flavoured jelly. That's the extent of dessert for me or I don't bother with it...lol

If you can find things you really like and can get away with it, then great... that's a bonus. ;)

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

if you don’t really love the foods you eat, will you stick with it? I tried the low carb thing, but within a week was sick of cheese and eggs ( I’m vegetarian). We’re all different - some can eat cheese everyday and be happy. Me, not at all. So, what do you like, and what of that works for you?

I like beans, a lot of them, lentils, fruit and seed/nuts. These work for me.