Type 2 - Now on insulin

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi All,

it’s been some time since I’ve been here! I’ve been type 2 for about 6 years now. Unfortunately I’ve had a bit of a nose dive recently and as such I’ve been taken off the tablets and I’m now on Abasaglar (12 units once a day) and Fiasp fast acting. Plus 1 glucophage tablet per day.

I’ve been told by the DN they the Fiasp needs to be taken 4 minutes prior to me eating. Is anyone else on this insulin and is it “ok” if it’s a little longer than the 4 minutes?

Also, hope this isn’t a strange question but what do you use to carry your medication in when out and when you travel. I’d love to see what everyone has. What hypo remedies do you use?

Being on insulin is not ideal but this is what I have to do. As such I’m taking it very seriously and want to make sure I get this right so any help or any feedback from people from anyone on these medications would be so helpful! I’m struggling with low carb options for breakfast too! Maybe I’m over thinking it all but I’m so worried about gaining weight! I’ve done so well and I can’t go back.

Thank you in advance to you all for any help xx

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been told by the DN they the Fiasp needs to be taken 4 minutes prior to me eating. Is anyone else on this insulin and is it “ok” if it’s a little longer than the 4 minutes?
Its very personal as to how long you need it before eating and it can change throughout the day, for instance I use Fiasp and need to take it a good 15-20 mins before breakfast, but for lunch and dinner I don't take til a min or two before eating. This does not mean you should use those times it means it'll be a bit of trial and error for you as you may need to take at completely different times
4 mins seems to be an odd number to pick :).

I tend to just carry my pen and needles in bag pockets or jacket pockets (I have many pockets :)), and for hypos I use haribo sweets - cheap and they dont crumble or get destroyed when in pockets with various other things

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Its very personal as to how long you need it before eating and it can change throughout the day, for instance I use Fiasp and need to take it a good 15-20 mins before breakfast, but for lunch and dinner I don't take til a min or two before eating. This does not mean you should use those times it means it'll be a bit of trial and error for you as you may need to take at completely different times
4 mins seems to be an odd number to pick :).

I tend to just carry my pen and needles in bag pockets or jacket pockets (I have many pockets :)), and for hypos I use haribo sweets - cheap and they dont crumble or get destroyed when in pockets with various other things

Thanks so much for the reply! I’m probably over thinking and worrying for nothing but it’s great to be able to come here to discuss with others. Thank you again

M

Member496333

I can't specifically help with the dosing questions but, as you are reportedly type 2, may I ask if you have had your own insulin levels checked at all, to see if you are over or underproducing? If you are already overproducing and are adding more in order to overcome resistance, this will doubtless make a huge difference to both the timing and quantity of insulin needed.

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I can't specifically help with the dosing questions but, as you are reportedly type 2, may I ask if you have had your own insulin levels checked at all, to see if you are over or underproducing? If you are already overproducing and are adding more in order to overcome resistance, this will doubtless make a huge difference to both the timing and quantity of insulin needed.

Hi. I’ve never had that, no. Is that something I can request from the doctor? I’d be interested to see if I do over or under produce.
Thanks for the reply. I think that’s a really interesting point which id love to find out the answer to.

M

Member496333

Hi. I’ve never had that, no. Is that something I can request from the doctor? I’d be interested to see if I do over or under produce.
Thanks for the reply. I think that’s a really interesting point which id love to find out the answer to.

You may find it almost impossible to get a GP to agree to it. Or at least this is the experience that most seem to have in the UK. It can't hurt to ask, though. It should be standard procedure before adding more insulin, but few HCPs seem to agree or understand. However, that is a conversation for another day.

Nozzert

I have been type 2 for 21 years and on tablets and insulin I have never been instructed to take before food and never had problems.