Second Nature Programme

Hi All

Just read an article in the Mail(I know they don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!) about the Second Nature programme and wondered whether anyone is on, has been on it and has any feedback, good or bad?

Seems the NHS are trialling it as well

Happy Friday!

Bill

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Expensive and not especially good.
You'd be better off following the advice you get for free here.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've experience of it then? What was good/bad?

Signed up a while ago.. got besieged by all the usual e-mail traffic, never actually did the program but low carb info here is likely more effective and free... Low Carb Prog can also be prescribed by your GP.

Edit to add it used to be called "Our Path" which was when I signed up..

Signed up a while ago.. got besieged by all the usual e-mail traffic, never actually did the program but low carb info here is likely more effective and free... Low Carb Prog can also be prescribed by your GP.

Edit to add it used to be called "Our Path" which was when I signed up..
Thanks for the info. I struggle with low carb diets, hence why I am looking at other options. I find wading through tons and tons of info to separate the fact from the opinion difficult and consumes time that I don't have spare.

I also want to find out about what habit-forming/changing techniques the programme uses. What motivation techniques it uses and so on.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info. I struggle with low carb diets, hence why I am looking at other options. I find wading through tons and tons of info to separate the fact from the opinion difficult and consumes time that I don't have spare.

I also want to find out about what habit-forming/changing techniques the programme uses. What motivation techniques it uses and so on.
What are your probs with low carb diets?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem with it. Just struggle with it. There are things I find difficult to give up.
Food addiction is a real thing.. I have it with breadlike textures.. loose my off switch completely.
These addictions really are best overcome.
I found complete avoidance for 3 months was enough but still don't have things like "low carb bread" or "keto crackers" because I just eat the lot.
Ever thought of the liberation of carnivore? Almost zero carbs means you don't get triggered by addictions as it eliminates all the trigger foods.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Life choices @bulkbiker :) "Life" in the literal sense.

Last edited:
Food addiction is a real thing.. I have it with breadlike textures.. loose my off switch completely.
These addictions really are best overcome.
I found complete avoidance for 3 months was enough but still don't have things like "low carb bread" or "keto crackers" because I just eat the lot.
Ever thought of the liberation of carnivore? Almost zero carbs means you don't get triggered by addictions as it eliminates all the trigger foods.
Like I said, low carb is not for me and nor is a full meat diet. I like and want variety across all food groups

My work and lifestyle also create friction points around when to eat, so fasting has proved problematic.

Hence why I am asking about Second Nature Programme.

M

Member496333

Can anyone outline what this programme actually entails? I had a brief look at their website but it all seems pretty verbose and doesn't appear to explain what it is that they actually do.

mouseee

I don't find LC all that easy until I spend a day with my mum. A little over 70, t2 for 25 years. Mini stroke,heart failure, wheel chair bound and glaucoma. Then I find it much easier to avoid bread and pasta.

We all have to find what works for us. Its important that we do so we can stay healthy.

For me, personally, I now know I'm 'allergic' to carbs. If I had a nut allergy I wouldn't eat nuts, so now I have to think carefully about carbs. Had fish and a handful of chips yesterday and was really high, 15.4. Had a matching headache. So I know if I eat that theres a consequence.

I hope you find the way that works for you!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone outline what this programme actually entails? I had a brief look at their website but it all seems pretty verbose and doesn't appear to explain what it is that they actually do.
Its the usual calorie restriction eat less Eatwell diet with some online coaching from what I recall when it was called "ourpath".
Bit of a low carb twist to it

This was part of my "plan"

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 10.36.12.png
Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 10.36.31.png

Think I have just saved someone some dosh...although the "quality complex carbs" advice might not be so helpful..

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

Its the usual calorie restriction eat less Eatwell diet with some online coaching from what I recall when it was called "ourpath".
Bit of a low carb twist to it

This was part of my "plan"

View attachment 38818 View attachment 38819

Think I have just saved someone some dosh...although the "quality complex carbs" advice might not be so helpful..

Thanks. Possibly not so bad for those whose diabetes is 'mild' and diagnosed early.

paddyod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

Just read an article in the Mail(I know they don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!) about the Second Nature programme and wondered whether anyone is on, has been on it and has any feedback, good or bad?

Seems the NHS are trialling it as well

Happy Friday!

Bill
Hi, I'm T2 and joined Second Nature (OurPath as was) at the the of January through my local doctor's practice and it was free on the NHS. I have found it very helpful so far and have lost over 5kg to date just by following the programme. I have also got a new friend via their forum whom I now walk with once a week. As I am only in week 5 of the programme I cannot comment on future developments but am optimistic so far.
Update to this post:
I have now been on the programme for 3 months+ and had a HbA1c test in March and it was down to 40 MMol from a previous 54 MMol. I have also now lost 10kg in weight (1st 8lb in old money) so I am really pleased I started. It's not easy and you have to to really work at it, but for me it is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamAntill9744

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your input and comments.

Hi there, from what has been described above (thanks to bulkbiker) it is a low carb diet. It sounds far better than the so called eatwell plate. It is not too strict either and likely to be far lower carb than a 'normal' person's diet. It's very similar to what I eat and the reason I like it is because you can have the odd slice of bread without feeling decadent. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't find LC all that easy until I spend a day with my mum. A little over 70, t2 for 25 years. Mini stroke,heart failure, wheel chair bound and glaucoma. Then I find it much easier to avoid bread and pasta.

We all have to find what works for us. Its important that we do so we can stay healthy.

For me, personally, I now know I'm 'allergic' to carbs. If I had a nut allergy I wouldn't eat nuts, so now I have to think carefully about carbs. Had fish and a handful of chips yesterday and was really high, 15.4. Had a matching headache. So I know if I eat that theres a consequence.

Personally I think it is a little simplistic to put your Mum's issues down to 'bread and pasta'.

mouseee

Personally I think it is a little simplistic to put your Mum's issues down to 'bread and pasta'.
Wasn't doing that at all, that is not the only thing that got her there. She has many health issues but the majority of these can be linked to her 30 years of poorly controlled t2. However, in terms of the challenges of low carb eating , the horrendous health issues my mum has is a big motivation for me. She was diagnosed a long time ago, treatment was different, advice was different. I'm glad I was diagnosed now... and that I have places like this to learn from.

My point was, looking into my potential future, seeing as it's her genes that have helped me become t2, it then becomes easier to take preventative action such as eating low carb eg. Avoiding pasta and bread.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

As Mouseee, seeing the impact of my mother continuing to eat sweets, cakes, chocolate while first losing the ability to walk more than a few shuffled paces and then losing most of her sight helped me get the willpower to go low carb. I still have days when it is difficult but one thing I did early on was to carefully plan food for travel days and lunches out - something easy to transport and enjoyable to eat so I didn't feel left out.
I thought about my food triggers and found substitutes, then I filled the front of my fridge with quick low carb/carb free snacks so they were always the first thing I saw, and stored some single slices of a low carb cake in the freezer.
As I live alone, I sorted out the fridge, freezer and cupboard and donated things I no longer eat to friends and family remoing temptation (maybe I should have binned it all but as said F&F would buy them otherwise I didn't feel guilty about supporting their bad habits)

Reactions: jjraak and mouseee