Book Corner.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished Lords of the North. Ordered the next one from the library.

Off today to pick up a Cornwell standalone called The Fort. Also part way through Book 1 of War and Peace. Might cheat here again and watch the BBC TV series so I can put a face to all these Russian names. I can recall some of them but not all from when I first watched the show.

Also got the latest Peter James book on order from the library and the latest Phillipa Gregory.:)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sword Song by Bernard Cornwel - really enjoying this series of books

Tidelands - Philippa Gregory is next on my list. Thankyou to the local library for sourcing both for me

Reactions: Gannet

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read both of the above. Enjoyed both very much.

I think Tidelands is going to be a trilogy, if memory serves me well. It has ended on a cliffhanger so might go onto the website to read more about it.

Still waiting on my Peter James book and the next Bernard Cornwell book so off back to War and Peace for me.

I've made a list of some books I would like for Christmas so hoping the family take the hint and buy those rather than wine or chocs. I dont mean that to sound as ungrateful as it comes across its just I shouldnt really be having chocs or wine (diabetic you know :angelic:)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading an old book called Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I believe it's a trilogy, lets see how I get on with this one

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now reading a Tapestry of Treason by Anne O'Brien

Bought the Labyrinth book by Kate Mosse in a charity shop for 50 p

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read the Peter James book. All about internet romance and how fraudulent it is

Now reading Bernard Cornwell's The Burning Land

I will order the next Cornwell book from the library, although I have managed to source another couple from the charity shops.

My mother in law recomended a couple of books to me, more history based so ordered from the library

I've a few books bought for me for Christmas - eldest bought me Roots and The Long Song. Hoping my youngest has bought me the Eleanor of Aquitaine trilogy

Oh and hubby buying me another book case for the extra books I have been buying :)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading the King's Witch by Tracy Borman recommended by my mother in law

Also have the next in the long line of Uhtred of Bebbanburg (The Last Kingdom/ Warrior Chronicles) by Bernard Cornwell.

And I have books for Christmas - some from my eldest, some from my youngest and some from my friend. I'm a lucky girl

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a new book case for Christmas so now have 2 to fill with books I pick up on my travels. Had a fair few books for Christmas - 8 in total.

I've loaned some of my books to the mother in law and hoping she is enjoying them like I have.

Off now to see what else there is to buy. Got my eye on another Edward Rutherford book as a follow up to his Dublin history book.

And 3 more books to pick up from the local library.

Also bought anothe e-reader to take on holiday in the Spring so I dont weigh my suitcase down with lots of interesting reading matter

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still reading my way through the Bernard Cornwell series.

Also reading a book called Conqueror by David Churchill. Last book in a trilogy about William the Conqueror. Pretty good fun.

And on the e-reader I've got The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell on the go for my hospital visits save carrying a big book

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @wolfie11969
You are a bit of a loan wolf at the moment, but thank you for keeping this thread going. I haven’t been reading much lately, and promise myself I will get back in the habit.
I did enjoy The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez recently, and will be looking for the sequel.

Also, I have had a message from my local library telling me my membership needs to be renewed. Must get onto that and make use of the facility and be grateful we still have it.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @wolfie11969
You are a bit of a loan wolf at the moment, but thank you for keeping this thread going. I haven’t been reading much lately, and promise myself I will get back in the habit.
I did enjoy The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez recently, and will be looking for the sequel.

Also, I have had a message from my local library telling me my membership needs to be renewed. Must get onto that and make use of the facility and be grateful we still have it.

I dont mind talking to myself lol, passes the day. Plus I have some interesting conversations when I argue with myself.

And yes please keep the libraries going. It's that bad in our library I've actually bought books I want to read, that they dont have, read them and then donated them. I even looked into their 'inter-library loans' but due to the subscription costs they can no longer afford to 'borrow' books between different towns. My option is to go to the adjoining city and join their library especially if they have some of the other books I'd like to read.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still reading Conqueror. Cant concentrate on it. It's not that the book is boring, it's me and my wandering thoughts.

Also got Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. Havent even started that.

I'm due to pick the Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley up from the library. Hoping to do that next week.

And for Valentine's Day I have 3 lovely preowned books for a pressie, lucky girl.

Anyone reading anything they can recommend?

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading Sun Sister by Lucinda Riley

Cant get into it at the moment but then I had an evening free last night and watched The Monuments Men instead. Might track the book down now to give that a go.

Hubby's choice of tv tonight so I guesss I'll get some of the book read

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished re-reading Shaman by Noah Gordon and am reading The Physician by the same author at the moment. Can recommend both!

Can you give us a brief synopsis of what both books are about? Are they thrillers? Crime? History?

Thanks

Reactions: Antje77

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I’m newish on this site but I do like a good read. I have been working my way through my Georgette Heyer Regency romances lately. Fluffy stuff, but well-written and Ms Hayer certainly knew her era, and the odd one has a bit more about it. Sort of a female equivalent to Patrick O’Brian, whose naval novels I also adore.

Also recently enjoyed the latest from Michelle Paver, “Wakenhyrst”, which is a bit of a departure from her previous psychological/supernatural (make your own mind up!) tales.

Other than that, I like a bit of SF, Neal Asher is particular favourite, especially the “Spatterjay” novels

Wolfie, if you like Bernard Cornwall, I hope you have seen “The Last Kingdom”? I am eagerly awaiting the next season... :cat:

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I’m newish on this site but I do like a good read. I have been working my way through my Georgette Heyer Regency romances lately. Fluffy stuff, but well-written and Ms Hayer certainly knew her era, and the odd one has a bit more about it. Sort of a female equivalent to Patrick O’Brian, whose naval novels I also adore.

Also recently enjoyed the latest from Michelle Paver, “Wakenhyrst”, which is a bit of a departure from her previous psychological/supernatural (make your own mind up!) tales.

Other than that, I like a bit of SF, Neal Asher is particular favourite, especially the “Spatterjay” novels

Wolfie, if you like Bernard Cornwall, I hope you have seen “The Last Kingdom”? I am eagerly awaiting the next season... :cat:

Ooh I remember Georgette Heyer along with Jean Plaidy and Anya Seton. Had a huge range of their books as a late teen, early 20 ish years. Kept me out of trouble.

And yes strangely enough I have the first 2 seasons of The Last Kingdom in a dvd box sset but havent watched it as yet. I keep recording things to watch off the telly box instead lol. That and reading

welcome to the board and jump in when you can

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've finished a book called the Irish Princess by Elizabeth Chadwick. Have to return it to the library this weekend.

I'm sort of in limbo as I'm due to fly out to Malta in a fortnight but there is so much uncertainty. I havent reserved any books from the library because I dont want the weight in the suitcase. I've found my old e-reader and hubby has put some books on there for me. I've started Child of the Phoenix by Barbara Erskine on the reader but I'm sure I've read it before. I didnt want to carrry on with the Cornwell series as I was hoping that would be my holiday and plane material. As it now looks more and more likely Malta wont let us in I guess I should just read my series.

Decisions, decisions