Bowels

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
PARENTAL ADVISORY: There's nothing like a good chat about bowels. For the odd one or two of you that find the subject uncomfortable, you may need to close one eye.

Following at least six months with a runnyish tum, I went to the GP who did the "brace yourself" exam before booking me in for a Colonoscopy. It's tomorrow. So after a light breakfast, a lighter lunch I took the first of the two clean-out packets.
What concerns me most is how my blood sugars will react to just clear liquids for 24 hours. I was 5.5 two hours after my lunch then only 5.8 after the laxative dose. It was a salty, sickly concoction which I was sure would spike me.
I'm sure I'm not the only T2 who has had this procedure, so I would welcome some input- as it were.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t help with your enquiry but I have these regularly and my next one is this year. It’ll be the first one since being type 2 so I’ll be interested to see if anyone has an answer for you. When non diabetic I drank Lucozade to try to keep my energy levels up. I won’t be doing that this time! I guess the clear fluids would need to be something fatty for energy and to stop the liver dumping glucose but what?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
PARENTAL ADVISORY: There's nothing like a good chat about bowels. For the odd one or two of you that find the subject uncomfortable, you may need to close one eye.

Following at least six months with a runnyish tum, I went to the GP who did the "brace yourself" exam before booking me in for a Colonoscopy. It's tomorrow. So after a light breakfast, a lighter lunch I took the first of the two clean-out packets.
What concerns me most is how my blood sugars will react to just clear liquids for 24 hours. I was 5.5 two hours after my lunch then only 5.8 after the laxative dose. It was a salty, sickly concoction which I was sure would spike me.
I'm sure I'm not the only T2 who has had this procedure, so I would welcome some input- as it were.
I had one last week and the clean out stuff is lethal!! My BS was 4.7 when they tested it pre my colonoscopy which caused some concern in the hospital as they thought it was a bit low. Good luck for tomorrow

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess the clear fluids would need to be something fatty for energy and to stop the liver dumping glucose but what?

Bone broth?

Or just water with plain electrolytes? If it’s 24 hours, your body, will have enough stores of energy and the liver will run out of stores to dump.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 not on insulin I didn't even check my BGs. I did as I was told for both colonoscopies as that was the priority for a couple of days.

Good luck.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
clear fluids would need to be something fatty for energy and to stop the liver dumping glucose but what?

That's it @Rachox , I can't have my Coffee n Cream for breakfast, so it will be a hot bovril, but there's precious little fat there. Maybe black coffee with coconut oil?

Reactions: Rachox

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the liver will run out of stores to dump.

That's actually not a bad strategy. I'll take the short-term rise in BS, for the greater good of having an important procedure. As @zand says that's the priority.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I had a Colonoscopy in January. I only drank water with electrolytes - well to be precise, water, Lo-Salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Because I'm now 'dual fuel' I found this one the easiest of the 11 colonoscopies preps I've done so far as hunger was concerned. Though when I told the nurse I was T2D and had started the fast early (because of a slow system), they were concerned and took my BG. I think it was 5.9 so obviously my liver was still dumping some Glucose, though not as much as the DP's in the ealry days of my Low Carb way of eating.

Afterwards I didn't spend time in recovery so milky tea and biscuit and was able to get home quicker.. Previously I've always been hungry and so accepted the tea with milk & sugar (even though I never normally drank it that way) plus as many biscuits as I could get hold of.
Note that I like to see what is there because my polyps always need a thinning out (due to a genetic condition), so I only accept the muscle relaxant, not the anaesthetic.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry I didn't get a chance to read this earlier @ianf0ster - the bathroom visits were quite frequent this morning.
The procedure is all done and I'm home, drinking tea and looking longingly at a slab of hake that will appear on a pile of creamy mash as soon as I can get it done.
I allowed myself to be persuaded out of having the sedative, and went for the gas-and-air. I hit it a bit hard at one point and started to space out, hearing multiple echoes of the staff talking. Towards the end I watched the screen and saw a couple of polyps and two biopsies removed.
Not the worst thing I've had done, and no real problems with blood sugar levels. I did test at 7.7 mid-morning though which seems to have been a liver dump.
And mash potato tonight? You bet!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn't get a chance to read this earlier @ianf0ster - the bathroom visits were quite frequent this morning.
The procedure is all done and I'm home, drinking tea and looking longingly at a slab of hake that will appear on a pile of creamy mash as soon as I can get it done.
I allowed myself to be persuaded out of having the sedative, and went for the gas-and-air. I hit it a bit hard at one point and started to space out, hearing multiple echoes of the staff talking. Towards the end I watched the screen and saw a couple of polyps and two biopsies removed.
Not the worst thing I've had done, and no real problems with blood sugar levels. I did test at 7.7 mid-morning though which seems to have been a liver dump.
Well done. I was wondering how you were.

Reactions: Daphne917

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
All done and dusted and hope the results are ok.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Check that you can have fats. I had one recently and had to have no fats.

Thanks for the advice. I'm all done now, but I didn't eat since breakfast yesterday - which was my first go this winter at Coconut porridge! The hospital seemed impressed at my no-meds success withT2 and obviously my insides were sparkling clean by today.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Must have been the Entonox mix, but I remember naming the polyp Geoff...