BREAD

chrissylou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today read Dr David Unwin's article re bread - he states that 3 slices of wholemeal bread equivalent to 9 spoons sugar! Yet Diabetes UK suggest not to eat white bread? Which is correct?! Confused.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't eat bread of any colour!

When I first started, I couldn't be in the same room as a loaf. Now I can tolerate a slice of hovis lower carb, at 9.9g that's half my carb allowance so eaten sparingly.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Today read Dr David Unwin's article re bread - he states that 3 slices of wholemeal bread equivalent to 9 spoons sugar! Yet Diabetes UK suggest not to eat white bread? Which is correct?! Confused.
Don't eat bread at all. They're all high carb, high GI foods. Same goes for rice.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I was given a book from Diabetes UK when I was diagnosed in 2014. Suggested recipes include porridge with apricots and seeds, baked sweet potato with a fat-free cheesy filling, chocolate and raisin cookies (not even using sweetener), rice and beans and dhal and rice. Fast food swaps include reduced-fat prawn sandwich for all-day breakfast sandwich and baked crisps for ordinary crisps. And then they still wonder why T2 is regarded as a progressive disease which it will be if meals are largely based on carbohydrate.
I get this book out occasionally to remind myself what NOT to eat!
It is no wonder that Chrissylou is confused!
I limit bread intake to one or occasionally 2 slices of HiLo bread at breakfast time. One slice is 5g carbohydrate. All carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta etc) break down to sugars that will raise blood glucose.

timbo_dolman

I’m now low carb and have just cut bread out completely after a higher than expected HBA1C reading. I hadn’t realised just how high in carbs it was (it was my weak point!)

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I was given a book from Diabetes UK when I was diagnosed in 2014. Suggested recipes include porridge with apricots and seeds, baked sweet potato with a fat-free cheesy filling, chocolate and raisin cookies (not even using sweetener), rice and beans and dhal and rice. Fast food swaps include reduced-fat prawn sandwich for all-day breakfast sandwich and baked crisps for ordinary crisps. And then they still wonder why T2 is regarded as a progressive disease which it will be if meals are largely based on carbohydrate.
I get this book out occasionally to remind myself what NOT to eat!
It is no wonder that Chrissylou is confused!
I limit bread intake to one or occasionally 2 slices of HiLo bread at breakfast time. One slice is 5g carbohydrate. All carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta etc) break down to sugars that will raise blood glucose.
Here in Sydney there is a massive toilet paper shortage due to COVID-19 panic buying. That book sounds like a great substitute. Hope the paper isn't to shiny.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Neither. Or any, not when it's based on carby base ingredients. However.... Keto mug bread:
15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix in mug. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes UK (not this website) have never had a clue about the right diet for diabetes so best ignored. All bread has carbs so best kept down. Wholemeal bread can be better than white as it has extra fibre and vitamins etc. As DUK have always been pro-carbs they would want to avoid saying all bread is best kept down.

M

Member496333

Bread is basically cake. It’s a big block of glucose cut into slices.

I’ll have the bacon & eggs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes make my own low carb bread alternatives, often in a small loaf "tin" instead of a mug.. My favourite is walnut bread made with walnut meal/flour, eggs, butter and/or walnut oil, baking powder, bit of salt and some broken walnut bits. Zap in microwave, allow to cool and top with butter and cheese. Like Jo's mug bread all good low carb ingredients. (@JoKalsbeek)

ETA @Jim Lahey - And if you add stevia/erythritol you can turn it into keto cake...:D

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a myth that brown carbs are better than white carbs but in truth both will spike your blood sugar and insulin equally with the white stuff doing that slightly faster than the 'healthy wholegrain' stuff.
You can get all the fibre you need from above the ground veg i.e. nobody needs bread, oats, rice or pasta of any colour.
However from our morning toast through sandwiches for lunch and pasta//rice for supper we tend to eat a lot of carbs but if you can change to having less carb you will be eating better for your diabetes.
Maybe go one meal at a time. Enjoy the bacon and eggs!

M

Member496333

It's not all about carbohydrate, either. Wheat proteins can be pretty offensive to humans. Even in those who haven't been diagnosed with anything.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Bread is basically glucose and toxic seed oil in a plastic bag. Nothing good about those ingredients. I call it junk food.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m now low carb and have just cut bread out completely after a higher than expected HBA1C reading. I hadn’t realised just how high in carbs it was (it was my weak point!)
In general, you could definitely be forgiven for not realising how badly bread spikes your blood. Fruit is the other one that I had always believed to be healthy.

M

Member496333

I call it junk food.

I'd go one step further and call it artificial food. Made by humans. Not occurring in nature. Ergo not food at all. It's actually the original processed food. The turning point in human evolution. Anthropological record shows this.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd go one step further and call it artificial food. Made by humans. Not occurring in nature. Ergo not food at all. It's actually the original processed food. The turning point in human evolution. Anthropological record shows this.

The records do indicate this is when tooth decay, heart disease etc raised their ugly heads via isotope testing on bones from various time periods, but it was a cheap way of feeding people. Cheap way of feeding an army etc.

I almost edited my post to state that I use the term "food" rather loosely... :D

Reactions: Member496333

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@chrissylou most bread is high in carbs however if you want to eat bread and can tolerate it ie not raise your blood sugar too much try something like Hovis Pumpkin and Sunflower, TESCO High Protein, Hovis Low Carb which are all 10g carb per slice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Diabetes UK (not this website) have never had a clue about the right diet for diabetes so best ignored. All bread has carbs so best kept down. Wholemeal bread can be better than white as it has extra fibre and vitamins etc. As DUK have always been pro-carbs they would want to avoid saying all bread is best kept down.

Well what else do you expect from an organization founded by a writer of science fiction.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almost nothing we eat occurs in nature. All crops have been developed by man. Meat and dairy comes from domestic animals that would have been unrecognisable to early humans. It is an unrealistic to imagine that the general population could exist without carbohydrates and bread, (which doesn't have to come in a bag) is not a problem for most people.

Reactions: Pinkorchid
M

Member496333

It is an unrealistic to imagine that the general population could exist without carbohydrates and bread...

That is not my position. If people want to eat bread then they should. I'm not the arbiter of what others put in their bodies. I'm simply expressing my view that bread is the very earliest form of processed food, and that the anthropological record shows it to have been deleterious to human health. You're free to disagree but my opinion will remain unchanged.