Unsupportive management.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I arrived at work a little later than normal due to an awful night with hypos. Usually I am there in plenty of time to enable me to have breakfast should I need to be out early but didn't manage it today and it was one of the rare days I have to be out early. I work in a care home and I asked my manager if next time he could inform me the night before if I am with this particular service user so that I can make an extra conscious effort to be here earlier to eat or bring with me something I can eat on the go.
It basically fell on deaf ears and I might as well have been talking to a brick wall.
Anybody else experienced unsupportive management or have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @philly1991

It sounds like today was one of those days, where the start wasn't good and compounded by a lack of sympathy, the fact you turned up after a bad night is worthy of a medal IMO under the circumstances, however are you faced with this response from your manager on a regular basis ? If not, perhaps a quiet word over a tea/coffee and to explain your circumstances further and what had happened to you over night, am sure a chat is enough to suffice but if it's a regular occurrence then maybe a more structured conversation over how your diabetes affects you and the fact that breaks are essential etc.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Juicyj
Unfortunately it seems to be a regular thing and not just with this manager either. I feel like I'm having to repeat myself all the time. I work 12 hour shifts so can't stress enough how important it is to take regular breaks and to be allowed the time to take care of myself.
I really don't want this to be another set back for me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Juicyj
Unfortunately it seems to be a regular thing and not just with this manager either. I feel like I'm having to repeat myself all the time. I work 12 hour shifts so can't stress enough how important it is to take regular breaks and to be allowed the time to take care of myself.
I really don't want this to be another set back for me.
Sorry to hear you are having hassle with your management. I suspect they are ignorant ie. do not get the difference between type 1 and 2. Have you ever had any contact with Occupational Health via your HR department? That could be a way of recording your needs without threatening anyone with discrimination on the disability front.
Personally although I work long shifts, I am flexible in my regime and happily skip breakfast or have a protein bar as an emergency option plus I have a pump and fsl so that helps me do things quickly and easily.

Reactions: philly1991

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear you are having hassle with your management. I suspect they are ignorant ie. do not get the difference between type 1 and 2. Have you ever had any contact with Occupational Health via your HR department? That could be a way of recording your needs without threatening anyone with discrimination on the disability front.
Personally although I work long shifts, I am flexible in my regime and happily skip breakfast or have a protein bar as an emergency option plus I have a pump and fsl so that helps me do things quickly and easily.

Fab idea I shall definitely look into it, you would think with working in a care home for individuals with autism they would be more understanding but I will definitely look into making contact with occupational health.
Sometimes I can be more flexible and I try hard not to let my diabetes impact my work and vice versa but other times I need more time to look after myself particularly if I've had a tough night.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@philly1991 - it sounds to me that even had you known about this particular duty this morning, you would not have been able to arrive any earlier, due to the hypos you mention.

I have no skin in this ring, but perhaps all your manager was was that you arrived later than usual, then expected him to accommodate that. Maybe he doesn't understand how hypos work, or how they could delay you, without you having much say in the matter.

I would suggest that perhaps it would be fair to ask for an earlier insight into what your earlier duties are?

As a matter of interest, if you are not on this particular duty, what do you do about breakfast those days?

I'm just trying to see all angles in this.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fab idea I shall definitely look into it, you would think with working in a care home for individuals with autism they would be more understanding but I will definitely look into making contact with occupational health.
Sometimes I can be more flexible and I try hard not to let my diabetes impact my work and vice versa but other times I need more time to look after myself particularly if I've had a tough night.
Yeah I know it is like having another job and if you're not type 1 you won't get it...Best of luck. It is kind of ironic that the caring professions are probably the least caring when it comes to their own staff. Just look at the DWP who've had more disability claims go against them in employment tribunals than other employers!

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@philly1991 - it sounds to me that even had you known about this particular duty this morning, you would not have been able to arrive any earlier, due to the hypos you mention.

I have no skin in this ring, but perhaps all your manager was was that you arrived later than usual, then expected him to accommodate that. Maybe he doesn't understand how hypos work, or how they could delay you, without you having much say in the matter.

I would suggest that perhaps it would be fair to ask for an earlier insight into what your earlier duties are?

As a matter of interest, if you are not on this particular duty, what do you do about breakfast those days?

I'm just trying to see all angles in this.

On the usual day I arrive about 35 minutes prior to when I need to be there to allow time for breakfast. It's only the one service user who is out first thing so I usually have plenty of time even if I am late. I have asked before for them to tell me the day before if I am with this particular service user but time after time they refuse.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the usual day I arrive about 35 minutes prior to when I need to be there to allow time for breakfast. It's only the one service user who is out first thing so I usually have plenty of time even if I am late. I have asked before for them to tell me the day before if I am with this particular service user but time after time they refuse.

Do they know who is going to be on that duty beforehand, or is it something decided on the day?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On the usual day I arrive about 35 minutes prior to when I need to be there to allow time for breakfast.
Why not eat breakfast at home before leaving for work and leave half an hour later so it wouldn't matter what kind of duty you have? Wouldn't that be easier?

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not eat breakfast at home before leaving for work and leave half an hour later so it wouldn't matter what kind of duty you have? Wouldn't that be easier?

I don't make breakfast at home because I'm up really early and would wake everyone.
Plus this would make it difficult if I were with another service user who walks alot, I drop quite low before lunch so if I'd eaten any earlier I would then struggle if I was with her. It'd just make it so much easier if for this one duty where I'm out early they could just let me know the night before.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they know who is going to be on that duty beforehand, or is it something decided on the day?

They decide on the day, usually about 10 minutes before he leaves so it's a real rush to get everything ready. It's something they could decide in advance and I've asked them to do so for myself because of my diabetes but they've said no outright.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They decide on the day, usually about 10 minutes before he leaves so it's a real rush to get everything ready. It's something they could decide in advance and I've asked them to do so for myself because of my diabetes but they've said no outright.

If it is causing you stress, would it be simpler to prepare to be doing that duty every day?

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it is causing you stress, would it be simpler to prepare to be doing that duty every day?

It could work though in cases like yesterday where I'd had a bad night with hypos it's definitely not ideal to be in a situation where you're not able to monitor your BG so yes in terms of having an on the go breakfast option but no in terms of not having the time to actually eat it or test. If that makes any sense.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could work though in cases like yesterday where I'd had a bad night with hypos it's definitely not ideal to be in a situation where you're not able to monitor your BG so yes in terms of having an on the go breakfast option but no in terms of not having the time to actually eat it or test. If that makes any sense.

Philly - I understand that, but had you known, whilst at home, battling your hypo, how would you have dealt with the knowledge you were on that particular duty? What difference would it have made yesterday?

I'm not being awkward, I'm just trying to understand what would be reasonable to be workable for both sides

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Philly - I understand that, but had you known, whilst at home, battling your hypo, how would you have dealt with the knowledge you were on that particular duty? What difference would it have made yesterday?

I'm not being awkward, I'm just trying to understand what would be reasonable to be workable for both sides

I can see what you're saying, I'd have probably made sure I got myself a decent breakfast before I left the house which i don't like to do all the time as I wake everyone up but it would be okay as an every now an then necessity. It'd also make me less likely to hypo again later as rather than a quick treat and run I'd have something substantial to keep me going a bit longer until a time in the day where I can test and eat as needed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see what you're saying, I'd have probably made sure I got myself a decent breakfast before I left the house which i don't like to do all the time as I wake everyone up but it would be okay as an every now an then necessity. It'd also make me less likely to hypo again later as rather than a quick treat and run I'd have something substantial to keep me going a bit longer until a time in the day where I can test and eat as needed.
Is breakfast noisy? What makes it noises, if it wakes everyone up?

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is breakfast noisy? What makes it noises, if it wakes everyone up?

Me. I'm really clumsy especially when I've just woke up in a morning. I'm actually lucky I make it out of the door in one piece most days.