Type 1 and Covid-19

gregorgregor30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I know... Keep calm and wash your hands :bored:

Has anyone out there had any communication from your diabetes team in relation to the outbreak. I know the NHS will be extremely busy and maybe I am naive think that they would contact us considering we are high risk?

Anyone had any contact?

TIA

Gregor

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No....

The high risk is basically due to the risk of ketones, the same as the flu would bring....

They don't contact you during the flu so wont be doing it with this I imagine....

Reactions: EllieM

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its hard not to get worried about everything with all the media hype.....but keep control good and you'll be in the best position to fight anything that comes your way....

Reactions: Jaylee

gregorgregor30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Its hard not to get worried about everything with all the media hype.....but keep control good and you'll be in the best position to fight anything that comes your way....

I get it, I know the media hype it. the paper written on 45000ish chinese cases has some worrying figures in it. My control is pretty good but also asthmatic which is another of the risky underlying conditions. I'm sure it will be fine. My work have just put a sign up on the room next to my desk for people to phone NHS if they think they have the symptoms even though that isn't the current guidelines. Perhaps I'll try to work from home next week and see how things go!

Thanks for the advice. :)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...more-severe-and-they-are-surprisingly-common/

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 392

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
I get it, I know the media hype it. the paper written on 45000ish chinese cases has some worrying figures in it. My control is pretty good but also asthmatic which is another of the risky underlying conditions. I'm sure it will be fine. My work have just put a sign up on the room next to my desk for people to phone NHS if they think they have the symptoms even though that isn't the current guidelines. Perhaps I'll try to work from home next week and see how things go!

Thanks for the advice. :)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...more-severe-and-they-are-surprisingly-common/
Hi
I'm also Type 1 & Asthmatic (usually very well controlled). Not usually a worrier but this is starting to peak my anxiety as momentum builds. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: gregorgregor30

gregorgregor30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I'm also Type 1 & Asthmatic (usually very well controlled). Not usually a worrier but this is starting to peak my anxiety as momentum builds. Fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed. I've been allowed to work from home but my other half can't at present. Let's hope the related death toll is as low as possible.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

I know... Keep calm and wash your hands :bored:

Has anyone out there had any communication from your diabetes team in relation to the outbreak. I know the NHS will be extremely busy and maybe I am naive think that they would contact us considering we are high risk?

Anyone had any contact?

TIA

Gregor

No, nothing.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No....

The high risk is basically due to the risk of ketones, the same as the flu would bring.....

Not quite. Or not just, anyway. Of course we are at risk of dehydration & DKA. We should all have rehydrating salts at home.

The point is also that high BG & lots of glycated hemoglobin (crudely, as I understand it) promotes & feeds both bacterial & viral infection. So the c attack is stronger.

This was a good place to start: https://beyondtype1.org/coronavirus-and-type-1-diabetes/