1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 and Covid-19

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by gregorgregor30, Mar 13, 2020.

1. gregorgregor30

gregorgregor30 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi,

I know... Keep calm and wash your hands :bored:

Has anyone out there had any communication from your diabetes team in relation to the outbreak. I know the NHS will be extremely busy and maybe I am naive think that they would contact us considering we are high risk?

Anyone had any contact?

TIA

Gregor

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No....

The high risk is basically due to the risk of ketones, the same as the flu would bring....

They don't contact you during the flu so wont be doing it with this I imagine....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gregorgregor30

Hi, thanks for the reply.

4. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Its hard not to get worried about everything with all the media hype.....but keep control good and you'll be in the best position to fight anything that comes your way....

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gregorgregor30

I get it, I know the media hype it. the paper written on 45000ish chinese cases has some worrying figures in it. My control is pretty good but also asthmatic which is another of the risky underlying conditions. I'm sure it will be fine. My work have just put a sign up on the room next to my desk for people to phone NHS if they think they have the symptoms even though that isn't the current guidelines. Perhaps I'll try to work from home next week and see how things go!

Thanks for the advice. :)

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...more-severe-and-they-are-surprisingly-common/

Attached Files:

6. kareeta

kareeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I'm also Type 1 & Asthmatic (usually very well controlled). Not usually a worrier but this is starting to peak my anxiety as momentum builds. Fingers crossed!

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gregorgregor30

Fingers crossed. I've been allowed to work from home but my other half can't at present. Let's hope the related death toll is as low as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

No, nothing.

9. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not quite. Or not just, anyway. Of course we are at risk of dehydration & DKA. We should all have rehydrating salts at home.

The point is also that high BG & lots of glycated hemoglobin (crudely, as I understand it) promotes & feeds both bacterial & viral infection. So the c attack is stronger.

This was a good place to start: https://beyondtype1.org/coronavirus-and-type-1-diabetes/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook