So coronavirus is so deadly this is the nhs advice

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its going to be very interesting heartbreaking to see how the different approaches used by the different countries will measure up in the months (and years) to come.

unfortunately, whoever ‘gets it right’ there will inevitably be countries that ‘get it wrong’ - with the most vulnerable members of each society being the ones that end up paying the highest price.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly there have been reinfection cases,at least in China and here in Korea.
Some people who had been declared as recovered caught it again, though it is not 100% sure if the cases were not fully recovered or really caught it again.

Korea now has over 8000 infected people, the numbers exploded after patient 31 went to several church/cult gatherings and they went everywhere. We have a city, Daegu, that's about 90% infected, but it isn't locked down. At hospitals in Seoul they ask for recent travel history and now also ask if you have been to that city recently.
When I first tried to get an endocrinology appointment at 1 hospital, they were all cancelled because the endo had been to Daegu the weekend before - and they wanted to be safe.
Some hospitals have designated Corona checking stations, some hospitals don't allow any Corona patients. We have a hotline to call if we are worried or have symptoms and they tell us which hospital to go to to get tested. Korea doesn't have an NHS but still has insurance - if your doctor refers you the test is cheap or free, if you just want to test for peace of mind it is a bit expensive, however if you do test positive, the government refunds the test fee for you.
Schools were meant to start 3rd March and have been delayed, even Kindergarten and hagwons are closed. Other big events were all cancelled too and we are encouraged to practicd social distancing.
We have a text message alert system where we get the latest news for cases nearby and where they have been as soon as travel history is known - we are told where they have been and which places are now closed for disinfection. Subway cars, stations and even streets are routinely disinfected now, some via drones.
We evem have a map and live website we can use to see who was nearby (chrome or google should automatically translate for you):
https://coronamap.site/

https://corona-live.com/

At the beginning around a hundred, 200 cases there was panic buying here too but we've been dealing with this for over a month now so shops have caught back up with demand. Hand sanitizer and thermometers are still super expensive, mask prices tripled or quadrupled too but the government started an initiative where they stopped export of masks and you can buy masks at normal prices at a pharmacy, once a week, 2 per person, on a certain day correlating with the last number of your birth year.

Tons of measurements put in place where the UK could get some ideas from.
But you can't have bad corona statistics if you don't test for corona in the first place, so they make it seem like it isn't that big of a deal when in reality, no one knows the magnitude of this pandemic.

Advice here is always wash your hands, notify the doc of any symptoms, wear a mask if going out. I don't really leave my house without a mask or scarf now and even at work (school, currently with no kids) we are encouraged to keep the mask on.

Hope the UK and US will pick up some of these measures to protect the vulnerable more.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people who had been declared as recovered caught it again, though it is not 100% sure if the cases were not fully recovered or really caught it again.

Korea now has over 8000 infected people, the numbers exploded after patient 31 went to several church/cult gatherings and they went everywhere. We have a city, Daegu, that's about 90% infected, but it isn't locked down. At hospitals in Seoul they ask for recent travel history and now also ask if you have been to that city recently.
When I first tried to get an endocrinology appointment at 1 hospital, they were all cancelled because the endo had been to Daegu the weekend before - and they wanted to be safe.
Some hospitals have designated Corona checking stations, some hospitals don't allow any Corona patients. We have a hotline to call if we are worried or have symptoms and they tell us which hospital to go to to get tested. Korea doesn't have an NHS but still has insurance - if your doctor refers you the test is cheap or free, if you just want to test for peace of mind it is a bit expensive, however if you do test positive, the government refunds the test fee for you.
Schools were meant to start 3rd March and have been delayed, even Kindergarten and hagwons are closed. Other big events were all cancelled too and we are encouraged to practicd social distancing.
We have a text message alert system where we get the latest news for cases nearby and where they have been as soon as travel history is known - we are told where they have been and which places are now closed for disinfection. Subway cars, stations and even streets are routinely disinfected now, some via drones.
We evem have a map and live website we can use to see who was nearby (chrome or google should automatically translate for you):
https://coronamap.site/

https://corona-live.com/

At the beginning around a hundred, 200 cases there was panic buying here too but we've been dealing with this for over a month now so shops have caught back up with demand. Hand sanitizer and thermometers are still super expensive, mask prices tripled or quadrupled too but the government started an initiative where they stopped export of masks and you can buy masks at normal prices at a pharmacy, once a week, 2 per person, on a certain day correlating with the last number of your birth year.

Tons of measurements put in place where the UK could get some ideas from.
But you can't have bad corona statistics if you don't test for corona in the first place, so they make it seem like it isn't that big of a deal when in reality, no one knows the magnitude of this pandemic.

Advice here is always wash your hands, notify the doc of any symptoms, wear a mask if going out. I don't really leave my house without a mask or scarf now and even at work (school, currently with no kids) we are encouraged to keep the mask on.

Hope the UK and US will pick up some of these measures to protect the vulnerable more.

Thank you for your feedback @Sgathach .

There are a shed load of topics started on this subject. Please feel free to post, share & inform where you can.?

Reactions: jjraak

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your feedback @Sgathach .

There are a shed load of topics started on this subject. Please feel free to post, share & inform where you can.?

No problem, will try my best :)
The map was actually started by an individual, not the government. Maybe some tech savvy person can do the same for the UK too.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It's real and this is back to 1918 with the Spanish flu .... it will kill millions.
There's nothing anyone can do to stop it and if it kills just one percent of it's victims that's millions globally.
The problem is accelerating with the news changing not just daily but hourly as more countries go into lockdown.
The airline industry the world over is sacking pilots groundstaff airport staff Italy exports three hundred thousand tons of pasta a year just to the UK but now that's zero.
Car plants can't get spares from China and other locked down countries so are on the verge of going bust same for many engineering chemical and other industries.
As lockdowns happen and often before ... people get nervous and stop using public transport and taxis around the world they too are going bust.
The virus is killing the world's trade manufacturing importing exporting banking on a scale never before known so we are in deep trouble.
Come back to this post in two weeks time and lets see how much the world has changed and change it will in three months time come back here and there will be a shattered world economically.
Foreign armies on foreign soil will start to be brought back home because it will be almost impossible to keep supply lines open to sick troops plus those troops are going to be needed to keep order and protect their own governments.
Is it really that bad?
Yes it is already tearing the fabric of the modern world apart.

Reactions: jjraak and kazam401

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Corona.jpg

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

It is being reported in some places that there are 2 strains of the virus in circulation now so I would guess it's more likely that anyone who has come down with it a second time has had both strains.

One guy in America has tested positive for both strains simultaneously.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had this dry cough now for over a month,went to the doctors 2 weeks ago and he said my chest sound clear and give me steroids,first time taking steroids and darn I struggled with my sugars :). I'm getting a little paranoid now and thinking should I go back to doctors or ring 111.on a night the coughing wakes me up and I gasping with my eyes watering,only really happens like twice a night but feels like it isn't getting any better :)

Edited by Mod
I had a cold about 6 weeks ago and ended up with a similar cough - now gone

Reactions: wiserkurtious

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate that some folk, even on this thread, appear to be happy to sacrifice some of those who are less well than themselves. I would have thought that those on a support forum would be kinder to those with multiple conditions. Many will die an early death. Unlike some of you I care about that. I have already cried about the 11. Some of you seem to think that it won't happen to you or anyone you love. Good luck with that.

I would have blocked our borders and quarantined everyone coming back into the country for 3 weeks back in January.

Reactions: kazam401

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I hate that some folk, even on this thread, appear to be happy to sacrifice some of those who are less well than themselves. I would have thought that those on a support forum would be kinder to those with multiple conditions. Many will die an early death. Unlike some of you I care about that. I have already cried about the 11. Some of you seem to think that it won't happen to you or anyone you love. Good luck with that.

I would have blocked our borders and quarantined everyone coming back into the country for 3 weeks back in January.
What do you mean Zand who is willing to sacrifice others?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean Zand who is willing to sacrifice others?
The 'it's not that bad, we are over-reacting' brigade. As a country our reaction to the outbreak has been woefully slow. The weak will pay the price. Survival of the fittest rules. Not good in a so-called civilised society.

lindisfel

Expert
Not sure I'd go that far but keeping away from others if you feel sick sounds like a reasonable idea.. just this once.. even a broken watch is right twice a day..
That is not going to help with those who are subclinical and can pass it on or those who are incubating for five days and are thought by some authorities to be infectious.
D.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Zand,

I pretty much adopt a "if I'm comming down with or have something." Keep out the way..
Caught a cold the week before last & the first time ever took time off work for it. Lol, they didn't want me.

I cancelled Christmas with my inlaws a number of years back with lurgey. One had a long term heart condition the other was treated for cancer..

I've nursed my mum when she got flu once. Sorted her out, then caught it myself.
I'm still young enough to handle it. & have no other conditions likely to put me at risk of further complications regarding the "seasonals."

Of course the early signs of COVID 19 are a little indistinguishable from the usual. It's nothing drastic like the "black death" in spotting the initial clues.
There are still influenzas going about too. Most of us hopefully will have had the jab.

It's not a new thing. These challenges to our immune system have been & will be always be a pain.
The frail amongst our comunity are still being taken by the complications of flu.

I don't see many topics on that this time of year. Other than around September time. "Should I get the jab?"

Reactions: urbanracer

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sgathach as you said, no one knows the magnitude of this pandemic. And this map was started by an individual, not a government.
So how bout you stop wirh the fear mongering unless you have some exact statistics?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Me thinks the government are no longer treating this so lightly.

EMERGENCY POWERS TO TACKLE CORONAVIRUS
BAN MASS GATHERINGS
Big public events, likely those of more than 500 people, will be canned next weekend.

DETAINING SUSPECTED VIRUS VICTIMS
Police will be handed powers to detain coronavirus sufferers if necessary to stop the spread of infection.

FORCE SCHOOLS TO STAY OPEN
Ministers will be able to force schools to stay open if teachers defy the government and try to send pupils home.

LOWER CARE HOME STANDARDS
Staffing shortages due to coronavirus sickness leaves councils vulnerable to legal action if their services suffer as a result.
But the government is moving to lower this threshold to ensure dozens of authorities do not have the rule book thrown at them.

FASTER BURIALS
The government is putting in place measures to speed up burials and cremations.

These proposals for new legislation are going through parliament and are expected to be in place during the upcoming week

And they are expected to be in force for the next two years

That is according to the Daily mail any way.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is not going to help with those who are subclinical and can pass it on or those who are incubating for five days and are thought by some authorities to be infectious.
D.

Indeed not.. but I don't think the NHS is into fortune telling either.. the advice to keep clear of others if you are ill makes perfect sense however..

I think it strange that we think the NHS/Govt experts etc are going to be able to come up with the answers for Covid-19 when most of us are aware their advice for T2 diabetes/cholesterol etc are so wide of the mark.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“FORCE SCHOOLS TO STAY OPEN
Ministers will be able to force schools to stay open if teachers defy the government and try to send pupils home.”

Wait, what? Wouldn’t taking it seriously be to close schools? We’re at about 30% closure of K-12, and 25% of higher ed in the U.S. right now. Needs to be 100% of both.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me thinks the government are no longer treating this so lightly.

EMERGENCY POWERS TO TACKLE CORONAVIRUS
BAN MASS GATHERINGS
Big public events, likely those of more than 500 people, will be canned next weekend.

That's going to have an interesting knock on effect with the entertainment & sporting industry.

DETAINING SUSPECTED VIRUS VICTIMS
Police will be handed powers to detain coronavirus sufferers if necessary to stop the spread of infection.
I can see a lot of suspects preferring an own up to snorting "class As" on this one.. "Honest guv, that's why I'm sniffing." Increasing police efectivnes on drug crime?

FORCE SCHOOLS TO STAY OPEN
Ministers will be able to force schools to stay open if teachers defy the government and try to send pupils home.
Where does it stand on the protocol for little Jenny getting an atypical childhood "thing" & needs sending home?

LOWER CARE HOME STANDARDS
Staffing shortages due to coronavirus sickness leaves councils vulnerable to legal action if their services suffer as a result.
But the government is moving to lower this threshold to ensure dozens of authorities do not have the rule book thrown at them.
Ah, that solves the entertaiment industry problem out. I can just see a band like Slipnot in blue tabards serving supper.

FASTER BURIALS
The government is putting in place measures to speed up burials and cremations.

Now it's never been a better time to be Harold Shipman...

These proposals for new legislation are going through parliament and are expected to be in place during the upcoming week

And they are expected to be in force for the next two years

That is according to the Daily mail any way.

Ah, the daily mail.. They realy do know how to indulge their audience... ;)