So coronavirus is so deadly this is the nhs advice

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate that some folk, even on this thread, appear to be happy to sacrifice some of those who are less well than themselves. I would have thought that those on a support forum would be kinder to those with multiple conditions. Many will die an early death. Unlike some of you I care about that. I have already cried about the 11. Some of you seem to think that it won't happen to you or anyone you love. Good luck with that.

I would have blocked our borders and quarantined everyone coming back into the country for 3 weeks back in January.

I think that’s just human nature in part, a protective mechanism to be a little too optimistic. I don’t think that’s the same as not caring about others. Worrying 24/7 has its hazards too.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I catch it, I am likely toast.

Hubby has me under house arrest, groceries and drugs are delivered. I quickly learned to stay away from the tabloids and avoid clickbait headlines.

Am I careful? Yes. Am I worried? Nope.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sgathach as you said, no one knows the magnitude of this pandemic. And this map was started by an individual, not a government.
So how bout you stop wirh the fear mongering unless you have some exact statistics?

Eh, are you in Korea too and know what's happening here?
There is no fear mongering, the map is incredibly helpful and although it was started by an individual, it is now the go to link everyone uses to track the movement of infected people and our emergency messaging system tells us which map was updated with the latest statistics.
There is also a map to track mask availability at pharmacies.
There is no fearmongering in being informed which places were visited by people with corona, if anything it helps everyone to stay organised and avoid certain areas on the map until we got confirmation it was disinfected. A lot of local gu/councils have maps for their own area too.
Korea doesn't hide any infected people, movements are traced and update immediately to protect others.

I only posted the link thinking someone tech savvy would be able to build something similar for the UK, as it did start of small here too until it was taken over once the numbers increased by a lot and 1 guy wasn't able to keep on top of it all alone.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
@Sgathach as you said, no one knows the magnitude of this pandemic. And this map was started by an individual, not a government.
So how bout you stop wirh the fear mongering unless you have some exact statistics?
Thre magnitude is whole nations are isolating themselves from other nations thereby sacrificing ther imports exportss trade rapidly wrecking thew world economy .... they don't do that lightly so yes it is very serious/.
Boris Johnson was grey and very sombre when he came pout of that COBRA meeting and had to face the public with some of you .... many of you are going to lose loved ones before their time.
This virus cannot be stopped said by the government too is another clus to how serious the situation is.
I've been taking it very serious for a month because I get my news mostly from alternative sources not thoe fake news people such as the BBC FAUX The Guardian The Mial etc.
This is deadly serious I hope you have bneeewn preparing.

Last edited:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Exact statistics seem to be pretty hard to come by as the UK only seems to be counting the bodies...

I thought @Sgathach posting was a useful contribution.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You're not going to get exact statistics because no one knows when this thing started and how far it had spread before some bright spark noticed .... people are dying of something what is it/
Then we get told about corona.

Reactions: jjraak

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What I don't get is after self isolating for 4 months what then the virus will still be out there and I will still have all theses conditions that make me vulnerable to the virus will I just be putting off the inevitable?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I don't get is after self isolating for 4 months what then the virus will still be out there and I will still have all theses conditions that make me vulnerable to the virus will I just be putting off the inevitable?
Maybe better treatments, more nhs capacity, fewer people to catch it from walking about (immune I mean not zombies)???

Reactions: JTL

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe better treatments, more nhs capacity, fewer people to catch it from walking about (immune I mean not zombies)???
That is the hope.
The very reason for "Delay" is so we can cope,
Hopefully not too war weary to be effective.

And the end game is many DO have the immunity, so fewer TO be infected by.

some others do seem to be managing this much better

Success breeds success, maybe we should be paying more attention to those with more successful regimes to tackle this.?
Not always possible, if States don't pay attention, and pass critical mass markers

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eh, are you in Korea too and know what's happening here?
There is no fear mongering, the map is incredibly helpful and although it was started by an individual, it is now the go to link everyone uses to track the movement of infected people and our emergency messaging system tells us which map was updated with the latest statistics.
There is also a map to track mask availability at pharmacies.
There is no fearmongering in being informed which places were visited by people with corona, if anything it helps everyone to stay organised and avoid certain areas on the map until we got confirmation it was disinfected. A lot of local gu/councils have maps for their own area too.
Korea doesn't hide any infected people, movements are traced and update immediately to protect others.

I only posted the link thinking someone tech savvy would be able to build something similar for the UK, as it did start of small here too until it was taken over once the numbers increased by a lot and 1 guy wasn't able to keep on top of it all alone.

We are all worried, and rightly so @Sgathach
So it's good to see ideas posted and explained of how other nations have had good results tracking AND tackling this
An old favourite at work was "best practice"

Information is key to calming people's
nerves and getting used to our new " normal".

Our leaders in the UK, are now
going to a daily report, after some criticism..
So at least they are responding to genuine concerns.

Thank you for the post, most interesting
Always a good idea to listen and be open to alternative ways of managing any situation

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @jjraak , I just found this on an expats in Korea facebook page, not sure if it was posted already but I hope it helps:

https://coronainfo.uk/

Again started by 1 individual who is doing their best to compile actual resources and data to make this map, similar to the Korean version, it isn't just a bunch of numbers picked out of thin air but may help in staying informed.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @jjraak , I just found this on an expats in Korea facebook page, not sure if it was posted already but I hope it helps:

https://coronainfo.uk/

Again started by 1 individual who is doing their best to compile actual resources and data to make this map, similar to the Korean version, it isn't just a bunch of numbers picked out of thin air but may help in staying informed.
Nice thank you for the link.

Nice to see London taking the team gold,
and my neighbouring borough doing so well..:sorry:

Huge differences in how we all treat this.

even the states starting to get onboard and shutting schools, etc
CDC recommends 50 max for large gathering.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-2-03-15-20-intl-hnk/h_1f5961e7d3f4247b27cb1e9e7b81c3be?utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-03-16T00:11:38&utm_term=link

Just checking the numbers, not that that seems to matter to too many
"keep calm and carry on.." great movies.:D

BUT S korea has massive testing, so may account for the disparity,
(but hey, got to love competence AND transparency, right.)

Over 6 x the cases..yet we have half as many deaths...mmhh

sure in most Hollywood disaster movies, now is about the time the hero starts to question figure like that ,

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son has Sarcoidosis and is on lower fate disability allowance
After contacting his GP surgery last week about his condition and COVID-19, he received an email advising him to cut his hours, he works as a maintenance/gardener/handyman to 3 hours a day, to distance himself from people and to follow good hygiene practices, the GP gave a duration of this period from 6 to 12 weeks.
If he shows any of the symptoms, to then self isolate himself and contact 111.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As long as we do not put our faith in the fiction of herd immunity.

So called herd immunity is just a manifestation of vaccination of populations when vaccination levels drop the illusion of herd immunity disappears.

That is why measles and the like are making a comeback.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little side note and awful thought.

with the spread and lockdown, once we get over the shock of how things might and seemingly are rolling across the world.
(yes i know, keep calm don't panic, but numbers are still numbers.:rolleyes: )

If so many are off work, and hunkering down, has any thought been given to funerals,
while i take the point we will have some restrictions re numbers etc
the cost of funerals, is already horrendous,

how will many be able to afford that as savings are whittled down while we await the passing of the storm, and in such large numbers

many colleagues at work from the black community told me of go fund me pages, as the knife crime epidemic, strikes many without any warning.

Will that be our GoTo, for this epidemic or has anyone seen any figures about how the Govt plans to manage that part..?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little side note and awful thought.

with the spread and lockdown, once we get over the shock of how things might and seemingly are rolling across the world.
(yes i know, keep calm don't panic, but numbers are still numbers.:rolleyes: )

If so many are off work, and hunkering down, has any thought been given to funerals,
while i take the point we will have some restrictions re numbers etc
the cost of funerals, is already horrendous,

how will many be able to afford that as savings are whittled down while we await the passing of the storm, and in such large numbers

many colleagues at work from the black community told me of go fund me pages, as the knife crime epidemic, strikes many without any warning.

Will that be our GoTo, for this epidemic or has anyone seen any figures about how the Govt plans to manage that part..?

If you do a google search for Italy+coronavirus+funerals
you will get a glimpse of what is currently happening there.

I suspect that with entire towns in lockdown, mourners will be unable to attend funerals, and the time between death and ceremony will reduce.

Historically, in every epidemic from dysentery to the black death, social norms around births, deaths and marriages, have altered dramatically.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well thanks
that much was pretty obvious, but the link was useful as the totals from the sun take some getting over

Pop 120,287
"Two funerals every hour are taking place in coronavirus-hit Italian town – with 146 deaths recorded in a week"

But the costs..?
we must as told expect deaths, it's just so normal, isn't it
but many won't have sufficient insurance as is, for the funereal they expect to have for loved ones
then add in the cost while NOT Working, while savings get eaten up...

Might be cheaper, fewer can come, no receptions as per rules,
cremations rather then burial, long plots rather then individual ones as space runs out
there is just so much unknown about all this

And of course the official attitude over there is
quite laid back, as we all know

"Meanwhile Embarrassing Bodies star Dr Christian Jessen was under fire in Italy yesterday after he claimed Italians were using the bug as an “excuse to siesta”.
He told FUBAR Radio’s Access All Areas he believed the virus was like a “bad cold” and “people ate more worried than they need to be”.
Dr Jessen said:”The Italians, any old excuse to, you know, shut down everything and stop work for a bit and have a long siesta.”

nice to know a doctor has such a good handle on this.
No malingering at the back, might just join wash your hands..wonder what that song will be..

Nice tuneful one for medics.

Last edited: