urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Talking to myself :D

After having done more reading and listening on this topic so that I'm a little more informed, it seems that the 'herd immunity' thing, whilst part of the broader conversation, is not at all government policy, but just an inevitability.

Well yes it probably is an inevitability from this point onwards and even essential in the longer term. The fundamental problem is that this level of immunity is usually attained through a vaccination program, not by primary exposure to the pathogen. There is a very big difference here.

There is no vaccine (yet) and with an expectation that 60% of the population need to become infected with a fatality rate of 1% the headline numbers do not make pleasant reading.

""If the mortality rate turns out to be the 1% many experts are using as their working assumption then that would mean 531,100 deaths. But if Whitty’s insistence that the rate will be closer to 0.6% proves accurate, then that would involve 318,660 people dying."" (source )https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...il-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

And if it's true (as is being reported) that some 200 independent (doctors /scientists) professionals are petitioning to the government to change direction, why are they doing this? There's 1.4bn people in China but they didn't lose 0.6% of them to gain reasonable control?

I do not see any "cognitive dissonance" in this thread, I think people understand the issues very well.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

I should probably clarify that "talking to myself" meant that I was replying to myself. Not that I wanted anyone to respond to my original comment.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well yes it probably is an inevitability from this point onwards and even essential in the longer term. The fundamental problem is that this level of immunity is usually attained through a vaccination program, not by primary exposure to the pathogen. There is a very big difference here.

There is no vaccine (yet) and with an expectation that 60% of the population need to become infected with a fatality rate of 1% the headline numbers do not make pleasant reading.

""If the mortality rate turns out to be the 1% many experts are using as their working assumption then that would mean 531,100 deaths. But if Whitty’s insistence that the rate will be closer to 0.6% proves accurate, then that would involve 318,660 people dying."" (source )https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...il-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

And if it's true (as is being reported) that some 200 independent (doctors /scientists) professionals are petitioning to the government to change direction, why are they doing this? There's 1.4bn people in China but they didn't lose 0.6% of them to gain reasonable control?

I do not see any "cognitive dissonance" in this thread, I think people understand the issues very well.

However, after containment, when China opens its cities again, the virus may just repeat.

Containment is not immunity.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

lindisfel

Expert
However, after containment, when China opens its cities again, the virus may just repeat.

Containment is not immunity.

But they know how and when to contain it in China and Singapore etc.
You bet they will be up there with the mallet playing wack a mole/Covid19 20 or 21. as soon as it rears its head.

Whoever comes out of this relatively quickly will have the support of their people.

We need time to find a fix.

100,000s, even over one million dying would be a nightmare for us all.
D.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Is anyone else being told by their pharmacy that they are experiencing problems getting meds in from abroad? Mr C dropped off my regular prescription request at my local pharmacy this morning - normally three days between request and collection - and was told to ring on Friday to see if they had been able to get it all in. Apparently their warehouse has little stock of several of my meds at the moment as (they think) some is being held up at the docks.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I guess it’s getting back to normal in Hong Kong this week. Colleagues have announced they are allowed to go back to the office, and are doing so in large numbers. 450 people or so in my company, and the rest of us around the globe will all be watching, with fingers crossed, (from our homes) to see how they fare.

I have a number of colleagues in France. They said it’s getting very quiet on the streets.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
They said it’s getting very quiet on the streets.

I have noticed how quiet it is here, in my street, eerie in a way, but not panicking.
The roads looked the same this morning, people going to work, on the school run etc.

Reactions: Walking Girl

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just received this text msg from my doctor's surgery:

Due to the Conronavirus, (name of surgery) is dealing with emergencies only until further notice. DO NOT ATTEND THE SURGERY WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO DO SO, we are not booking any routine appointments with the GPS or Practice Nurses, this includes blood tests and blood pressure checks.

Knowing the surgery as I do (I am on the PPG), I think that some of the docs and nurses will have been pulled away from their normal duties, and seconded across for training to deal with the incoming rise in Coronavirus patients. In which case, the surgery is now functioning with a skeleton crew.

Some of the staff at our surgery previously worked at the local hospital (including a doc in A&E), so they are a logical choice to get up to speed fast in the current circumstances.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just received this text msg from my doctor's surgery:

Due to the Conronavirus, (name of surgery) is dealing with emergencies only until further notice. DO NOT ATTEND THE SURGERY WITHOUT BEING ASKED TO DO SO, we are not booking any routine appointments with the GPS or Practice Nurses, this includes blood tests and blood pressure checks.

Knowing the surgery as I do (I am on the PPG), I think that some of the docs and nurses will have been pulled away from their normal duties, and seconded across for training to deal with the incoming rise in Coronavirus patients. In which case, the surgery is now functioning with a skeleton crew.

Some of the staff at our surgery previously worked at the local hospital (including a doc in A&E), so they are a logical choice to get up to speed fast in the current circumstances.
The same has happened round here.

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
Has anyone recovered from Covid 19 and suffers from Diabetes/Hypertension and or asthma and would like to share?
I haven't had it yet but with my son having to go to school it'll only be a matter of time.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone recovered from Covid 19 and suffers from Diabetes/Hypertension and or asthma and would like to share?
I haven't had it yet but with my son having to go to school it'll only be a matter of time.
I'll let you know if I catch it.

Today I did a big shop for my 94 year old aunt. I live 30 miles away so wouldn't be able to get it to her if we were locked down. After spending a couple of hours with her I now find out that someone she has had close contact with was quarantined yesterday as the person's partner has got it.

As I have T2, hypertension, asthma, obesity and am over 60 I am concerned. I may still have Lyme Disease which weakens the immune system. Tbh I think the Lyme has gone, but who knows?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I work with children in a confined place and still fit, well and getting on with life.

lindisfel

Expert
I'll let you know if I catch it.

Today I did a big shop for my 94 year old aunt. I live 30 miles away so wouldn't be able to get it to her if we were locked down. After spending a couple of hours with her I now find out that someone she has had close contact with was quarantined yesterday as the person's partner has got it.

As I have T2, hypertension, asthma, obesity and am over 60 I am concerned. I may still have Lyme Disease which weakens the immune system. Tbh I think the Lyme has gone, but who knows?

Sorry to hear you have Lyme, Zand. I have had two tic bites and one caused the classic bulls eye rash. Had Doxycycline for two weeks on both occasions.
They think there is a lot of undiagnosed Lyme in the UK. I hear the Germans have a better test.
Atb
Derek

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And ... the lunacy of "herd immunity" is spreading to Australia. Via a Murdoch newspaper, of course:

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-a...ey-as-virus-count-reaches-298-20200315-p54a7g

We're going in the opposite direction here...

By: KIRO 7 News Staff
Updated: March 16, 2020 - 9:03 AM
SEATTLE — Gov. Jay Inslee announced he will temporarily shut down restaurants, bars and entertainment and recreational facilities statewide -- such as gyms and movie theaters -- due to the coronavirus. Restaurants will be take-out and delivery only.

The order will last until March 31.

He will also expand the protection to limit the size of large gatherings to just 50 people as the death toll in the state reached 42 Sunday, and the number of confirmed cases hit 772.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/co...-large-gatherings/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is it worth the risk? See my last post. Stay safe everyone. X

But schools are still open Zand, plus there is a risk to just about everyone. If i self isolate, for how long I don't know, the guidelines keep changing, I won't get paid, my daughter would then need to self isolate, she works in a nursery.
I feel fit and healthy, but I do understand where you are coming from.
Take care :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But schools are still open Zand, plus there is a risk to just about everyone. If i self isolate, for how long I don't know, the guidelines keep changing, I won't get paid, my daughter would then need to self isolate, she works in a nursery.
I feel fit and healthy, but I do understand where you are coming from.
Take care :)
It's too late for me to take care....I could well have it now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's too late for me to take care....I could well have it now.

Do you have it Zand :wideyed: ? I must of missed posts or threads somewhere along the way ?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited: