Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Given the current situation, is everybody eating the usual foodstuffs, particularly those who have certain diets? This week I was all set to start eating more meats and ditch the carbs, but the meat shelves were almost bare. Even tins of Tuna & Salmon were gone. It felt like I had to make do with whatever was on the shelves. I had no choice basically. I did manage to get 2 packs of Heck chicken sausages and 2 jars of pitted black olives though. I did wonder if it was a combination of panic buying and people not eating takeaways etc.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
So far so good, but I did have a full freezer and snuck in a Morrison’s order just before the main run on shops/deliveries.
My freezer is stacked with bags of green beans and mixed veg (which is good) but I really wanted some meat protein. My freezer is in desperate need of a defrost though. I keep putting it off and now can hardly fit anything into the compartments. :banghead:

Reactions: NaijaChick

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am so glad I have a brexit stash. Not enough to last 12 weeks but enough for now - dried veg, dried blueberries, tinned meat and fish, yogurt starter and dried coconut milk. Plus salad seeds to grow on the windowsill.
Might not be the most exciting diet but it will still be low carb.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to a local butcher this morning thats does great pork scratchings.
I was the only customer and they had plenty of meat.
They have no scratchings left now though! (it was only 5 bags more arriving tomorrow)...

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to have half a panini (and it spiked me) with my standard breakfast as my local supermarket had no wholemeal bread last night and this morning, but I've a mate bringing me a loaf later as he was working out of town when I cursed about it on Facebook and got a loaf when he got his lunch(he's got a 15 year old boy who's a T1d too), and I went back to the shop later and got another for the freezer.

Odd like as I've never seen a wholemeal bread shortage as hardly anyone likes it.... :p

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I will eat anything (and often do) as long as I carb count correctly and inject accordingly I will be absolutely fine

Reactions: type two paul

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just checked our local butcher's FB page.
They have this message up:

We are really trying to reply to you all on here, answer the phone promptly at the shop and get your orders to you, so thank you for understanding. If you know any vulnerable people out there please let them know we can deliver to their door. If you are self isolating we can leave your order on the doorstep knock and wall away. Payment can be taken over the phone before your order arrives.

Bless them. They are only about 300 yards from our house.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I went in to my local Morrisons, its' walking distance away, to get a packet of gluten free pasta, the shelf was completely empty !!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Given the current situation, is everybody eating the usual foodstuffs, particularly those who have certain diets? This week I was all set to start eating more meats and ditch the carbs, but the meat shelves were almost bare. Even tins of Tuna & Salmon were gone. It felt like I had to make do with whatever was on the shelves. I had no choice basically. I did manage to get 2 packs of Heck chicken sausages and 2 jars of pitted black olives though. I did wonder if it was a combination of panic buying and people not eating takeaways etc.
I can't get my salmon at Ikea now, (The Dutch ones are all closed, dunno about the UK) and the shop was out of goat's cheese, but so far.... Haven't encountered too many problems. Yet.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went in to my local Morrisons, its' walking distance away, to get a packet of gluten free pasta, the shelf was completely empty !!

That must be a rarity too with gluten free disappearing, the panic out there kind of hit home for me last night when the local morrisons was nigh on empty, it's been there over 30 years and I'm a local lad and have never seen scenes as that since opening day and I had hair back then it's been there that long :p

What gets my goat is the panic buying culprits are the ones usually with 7 days tv dinners in their trolleys nd won't have a clue what to do with flour and yeast anyway :p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That must be a rarity too with gluten free disappearing, the panic out there kind of hit home for me last night when the local morrisons was nigh on empty, it's been there over 30 years and I'm a local lad and have never seen scenes as that since opening day and I had hair back then it's been there that long :p

What gets my goat is the panic buying culprits are the ones usually with 7 days tv dinners in their trolleys nd won't have a clue what to do with flour and yeast anyway :p

The driver whom I work with, tried to find pasta in a large well known supermarket, couldn't get any. When I told him that the GF pasta shelf was empty, he reckons people who couldn't get wheat pasta bought up the gluten free pasta, I don't know that, but hope they didn't :mad:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, I love the Ikea smoked salmon @JoKalsbeek Not sure whether they’re closed here yet.

Have just taken delivery of these from Amazon:

C1B55142-6003-4D98-A2F7-9B483312ECEE.jpeg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The driver whom I work with, tried to find pasta in a large well known supermarket, couldn't get any. When I told him that the GF pasta shelf was empty, he reckons people who couldn't get wheat pasta bought up the gluten free pasta, I don't know that, but hope they didn't :mad:

I've seen a few who can't eat gluten cursing on twitter because that's what's happened, my take is that shortly all the greedy panic buyers will be skint/over stocked and some normality will return around the time the shops put limits per person on foods.

Here's hoping anyway :)

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I had trouble finding chicken and eggs - but I eventually got them. There are a couple of items I still cannot get, but no biggie - I have a well stocked freezer and can always find a substitute!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got everything no problem a couple of hours ago in M&S also my local spar store has everything except pasta - not that I buy it just saw the shelf was empty, meat at the butchers, maybe doing our shopping at local shops rather than the big superstores is the answer

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Yesterday the only peanut butter left on the shelves at my store was the very expensive brands and some with honey.
Maybe governments ought to start issuing ration books again, starting with people who have special-needs diets?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got everything no problem a couple of hours ago in M&S also my local spar store has everything except pasta - not that I buy it just saw the shelf was empty, meat at the butchers, maybe doing our shopping at local shops rather than the big superstores is the answer

All we have where I live are big supermarkets but a couple of friends of mine have reported finding more food at their local shops than at the big stores.