Diabetic nurse opinion on corona risk

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now you are being obtuse. And standing by your previous suggestions that are potentially dangerous to others. Not everyone can control their blood sugar levels as easily as you appear to be able to.
Obtuse?
Many people seem to be able to keep their sugars low through diet you included.. which is a protective measure.. I fail to see the danger in that.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
It is still 35% diabetic.

This is completely unnecessary scare-mongering, backed up with a flimsy premise and debatable interpretation of statistics.

Edited by moderator to remove personal attack

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MichelleWil

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
This is completely unnecessary scare-mongering, backed up with a flimsy premise and debatable interpretation of statistics.
I fail to see how a diabetic forum is not concerned about that figure. I am in no way scaremongering.......I just fail to see how anyone can be "comfortable" with that figure. I hope that the figure quoted is incorrect.
Yes I am concerned about the situation we are in, 49 years type 1, most of them not very well controlled and with underlying problems as well.

Quoted text edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@porl69 makes a very important point, highlighting a very real concern. The “worried well” have developed a nasty habit of saying it’s “only” the elderly or people with serious health issues that die to reassure themselves - not very reassuring when you’re in that group. People need to show some sensitivity to the fears of others rather than just seek to make themselves feel as though they’re not in any danger from this.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Just realised this is in the type 2 part of the forum, so maybe my opinion is not really relevant here???

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Totally agree that we know very little about the 35% (that's the 10th time now) but it's still 35% (11th time!!)

Not at all in the "we are all doomed" brigade. And definitely not trying to scare other members. And not having a laugh at the explanation of how statistics work.

Trying to belittle me is not the way to go either. Please do not try and make assumptions about me!

Italians are dying at an alarming rate, diabetic or not, very frightening and my heart goes out to all who are affected by COVID-19.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry RRB not trying to scare you x

No I'm not frightened, it's fine, I should of put this:rolleyes: after the :wideyed: @porl69
I know as we get older it can be a more anxious time, life can be lottery.
Stay safe :)

Reactions: porl69

Mike Sixx

Went and had my hbac1 this morning , a bit un nerving as I was greeted with my nurse in mask and gown!!
Anyway.....
Asked about government advice on self isolating etc, she said I didn’t have diabetic numbers and providing nothing stupid happens on this hbac1 I wasn’t classed as a diabetic exactly and the rules wouldn’t apply to me as I have no other conditions.
Never planned on self isolating anyway as I need money to live!
Thoughts on this?

You do realize that mask protects you much more than it protects her ?

Surgical mask is pretty much useless protecting the wearer from anything else than from someone spitting into their mouth. In normal exhale people spit saliva into the air. Surgical mask prevents that, like that spit getting into open woulds in surgery.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
saying it’s “only” the elderly or people with serious health issues

It's more the elderly with serious health conditions?

Not too helpful for people in that group but even then about 85% survive it.
Scaremongering helps no-one ..?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like parents, grandparents, friends?
How is making them afraid in the slightest bit helpful?
Keep away from them if we are ill for sure but implying if you have diabetes 35% may die isn't true anyway and doesn't help in the slightest.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How is making them afraid in the slightest bit helpful?
Keep away from them if we are ill for sure but implying if you have diabetes 35% may die isn't true anyway and doesn't help in the slightest.
I didn’t say diabetics had a 35% chance of dying. I said that it’s an unpleasant trait of the worried well to write off those who have died as “only” elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123